Human Speaker K81 Speaker Build

Rocket

Human Speaker K81 Speaker Build
« on: 15 Dec 2018, 10:48 pm »
Hi Guys,

New speaker build and I thought I'd create a post and show pictures of my progress.  Using 1 inch American Walnut and will plane down to 3/4
inch to remove imperfections.  The speakers will be 20 inch (h) x 11 inch (w) x 13 inch (d).  I will use tung oil to apply finish.  I'm hoping I will finish January.

Cheers Rod

richidoo

Re: Human Speaker K81 Speaker Build
« Reply #1 on: 15 Dec 2018, 11:18 pm »
Awesome! thanks for sharing, Rod!!

Is this the design you're building, 81+?

American Walnut is nice. Natural finish will be beautiful. Is it imported wood?

Still using the 'zilla amp?
Rich

Rocket

« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2018, 11:58 am »
Hi Josh,

I still have Salk Sound HT3's and the Ampzilla 2000's mono blocks.  Most of my gear is in storage at the moment as I've had a divorce and no where to leave all my equipment.  I'll be using Red Wine Audio Isabella and modified PS Audio HC2 amplifier, Bryston BDP 1 and Eastern Electric Dac +, Salk Sound rhythmic subwoofer and will use with the Human Speakers K81 speaker kit.

My previous build used Axon speaker kit and they sound pretty good.  I'm hoping these speakers will be even better!

Cheers Rod

Rocket

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2018, 12:19 pm »

Hi Guys,

I sure wish I'd made the title of my speaker build 'recommend amplifier, or preamplifier, or dac' I might have generated a lot of interest lol.

Anyway, new photographs of my speakers that I'm building at the moment.  Human Speakers components safely arrived in Perth, Western
Australia.  Ready to finish the cabinets in the new year.  Cheers Rod

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #4 on: 24 Dec 2018, 02:16 pm »
The crossover is one cap and the woofer runs full range? 

Rocket

« Reply #5 on: 25 Dec 2018, 12:46 am »
Hi Guys,

Some information from the Human Speakers website.  I chose this speaker kit because its a bit different, I liked the story of the company and was recommended by an audiophile friend from the USA (I value this persons advice and knowledge).

http://www.humanspeakers.com/diy/81.htm

My speaker parts are rugged and purist. They are designed to complement each other's range and clarity. The woofer, in this cabinet, is flat from 37 Hz (-6 dB at 26 Hz, -12 dB at 18 Hz) to 1800 Hz, where the tweeter takes over (most tweeters couldn't handle a crossover this low) and finishes the job out to 26 kHz, beyond human hearing. A minimalist crossover design prevents stored energy from smearing the musical detail and provides excellent transient response./quote]

After much agonizing over the various choices available, I opted for a very simple crossover - just one carefully-selected capacitor to protect the tweeter from low frequencies. This is possible because the woofer and tweeter actually roll off on their own at the designed crossover point of 1800 Hz./quote]

Cheers Rod

Blackmore

« Reply #6 on: 25 Dec 2018, 12:51 am »
That's a pretty cool design.  Be sure to fill us in on how they sound. I like the price, too!!

Mark

Rocket

« Reply #7 on: 25 Dec 2018, 01:41 pm »
Hi,

I previously built a pair of speakers from an Axon Speaker Kit from Orca Manufacturing.  The sound was pretty good in my opinion but I use them for home cinema and I want to go to another level with diy.  My reference speakers are Salk Sound HT3's so I should be able to determine  the level of sound vs price :).

Cheers Rod
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2018, 11:43 pm by Rocket »

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 25 Dec 2018, 03:41 pm »
Yup, high quality, well matched drivers with a simple crossover can product glorious sounds.   As I mentioned on your other thread these were some of my favorites back in the day, but never owned them, went with Allison 3s.  If I had a shop like that to work in I'd build a zillion speakers.

RDavidson

« Reply #9 on: 25 Dec 2018, 04:52 pm »
These are sort of like modern EPI 100's, right?
If so, they should sound pretty awesome and far better than one might expect. A fun, musical, and rather cheap and cheerful setup is a NAD 3020 (the old one) and a pair of EPI's. Great stuff! I look forward to seeing how your build turns out.

JakeJ

« Reply #10 on: 25 Dec 2018, 05:38 pm »
Gratuitous post to follow the build.

Thanks for sharing, Rocket

Rocket

« Reply #11 on: 11 Jan 2019, 12:20 pm »
Hi Guys,

Latest update on my build.  Speakers are ready for tung oil and will be finished tomorrow.  I damaged one of the tweeters and waiting on a replacement one.  This is the best speakers I've built so far and hoping the kit is a good as the cabinets.  Btw going to use a Red Wine Audio Isabella Preamplifier and PS Audio HCA2, Eastern Electric Dac plus and Goldnote Turntable.  Not cheap and cheerful and hoping the system sounds fantastic.

Cheers Rod

JakeJ

« Reply #12 on: 11 Jan 2019, 01:55 pm »
Solid black walnut cabinets?  Wow, those will be some sturdy speakers.  With internal bracing they will be like bricks.

I gave your pictures a twist.

richidoo

« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2019, 01:55 pm »
hoping the system sounds fantastic.

Of course it will, how could it not?

Boys got skilz  8)  I like that thin line around the baffle, nice touch!

JakeJ

« Reply #14 on: 11 Jan 2019, 02:21 pm »
Of course it will, how could it not?

Boys got skilz  8)  I like that thin line around the baffle, nice touch!

Agreed!  And I like that line too, it frames the baffle like a picture.

RDavidson

« Reply #15 on: 11 Jan 2019, 03:26 pm »
Looking REALLY good. There's just something about "classic" speaker boxes I love ; I think it's their proportions and simplicity that holds true. Walnut always looks great. Can't go wrong.

Rocket

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jan 2019, 12:38 am »
Hi Guys,

I made a mistake when I was hand planing the baffles and the gaps were a bit uneven.  A friend advised routing the edge on the baffles and the cabinets.  Did a great job of hiding the problem and gives the cabinets a bit of class.

I'll post some more photos once I applied the finish.  Should look great.

Cheers Rod

Rocket

« Reply #17 on: 27 Jan 2019, 11:13 am »
Hi Guys,

I've assembled the speakers as far as possible.  Unfortunately I damaged one of the tweeters and waiting for a replacement one from Human Speakers.  Hopefully, next week they will be up and running in my system.  The speakers came out better than I expected. I made one mistake routing one of mid/bass drivers but its almost unnoticeable.  Dimensions 22" (h) x 11" (w) x 13" (d).

Cheers Rod

RDavidson

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jan 2019, 04:06 pm »
Very nice!

richidoo

« Reply #19 on: 27 Jan 2019, 04:23 pm »
Yeah, looking real good Rod!

DIY always has a few minor flaws... They remind you of your accomplishment.

What finish did you use? It looks very natural.  :thumb: