Pre amp issues

Roeland

Pre amp issues
« on: 17 Jun 2006, 07:49 am »
Well not really issues... :) I just got my new preamp in (Herron HL-1) and it seems the gain on my D-100's is too high. Is there anyway to fix this? I thought i had the 26db version of the D-100's and the Herron has 14db of gain, which isn't that much?

I've seen people using their Ciaudio D-series with pre's like modwright, which has an even higer gain (15db). So I can't really grasp this... O yeah, why I think the gain is to much? Because I can still hear the music with the volume on zero and it's get really loud really fast.

I just ordered Rothwell attenuators as a temporary solution, but I'd like to know if there's a better way round this.

Greetz,

Roeland

CIAudio

Pre amp issues
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2006, 01:18 pm »
Well not really issues...  I just got my new preamp in (Herron HL-1) and it seems the gain on my D-100's is too high. Is there anyway to fix this? I thought i had the 26db version of the D-100's and the Herron has 14db of gain, which isn't that much?

I've seen people using their Ciaudio D-series with pre's like modwright, which has an even higer gain (15db). So I can't really grasp this... O yeah, why I think the gain is to much? Because I can still hear the music with the volume on zero and it's get really loud really fast.

I just ordered Rothwell attenuators as a temporary solution, but I'd like to know if there's a better way round this.

I would contact the preamp manufacturer. What is the output level of the source? Do you have this problem with all sources?

Roeland

Pre amp issues
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jun 2006, 02:34 pm »
Hey Dusty,

Thanks for the reply. I do have the problem with all sources. Not as loud with the radio, because it has a lower outout level. My minidisc, with 2Volts Rms output is clearly audible 8 feet away from the speakers with volume set on zero.
Have also contacted preamp importer. But thought there maybe was a simple way of lowering the D-100's gain.

Greetz,

Roeland

CIAudio

Pre amp issues
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jun 2006, 04:14 am »
If you have the standard version, gain is 26dB...this is more or less an industry standard. Gain of the amplifier is not user adjustable and requires changing the amount of feedback in the input stage.

Roeland

Pre amp issues
« Reply #4 on: 19 Jun 2006, 02:22 pm »
Quote from: CIAudio
If you have the standard version, gain is 26dB...this is nore or less an industry standard. Gain of the amplifier is not user adjustable and requires changing the amount of feedback in the input stage.

Ok Dusty, thanks a lot for the info :) I think it's just a combination of the gain with 90dB sensitive speakers :( Anyway, I'll try the Rothwell and if that solves the problem, replace them with a better attenuator like the endler stepped ones or so.

Greets,

Roeland