Picture Of The Day

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #1180 on: 24 Aug 2010, 03:54 am »

The Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art....just watch out for the shuttlecocks... :hyper:

I thought I'd start a topic called Picture of the Day. This can be a thread where all of you photog's out there can post a picture you've taken (recent or old) that you think other people will enjoy. If you kept note of it, be sure to let everybody know the settings you used on your camera and be sure to tell us a bit about the shot.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #1181 on: 24 Aug 2010, 01:09 pm »
This is

right down the street!

bside123

« Reply #1182 on: 24 Aug 2010, 02:08 pm »
Well, I've begun my foray into Adobe Photo Shop. I started attempting to do some photo manipulations and corrections that are beyond the simple contrast, definition and color balance, etc. Here's an example of a before and after image. This photo was taken in Dortmund, Germany. I thought the sky, clouds, mirrored windows and the open window offered some interesting reflections. It's not a particularly stunning photo. The reason that I picked this shot is because I thought it was a great opportunity to practice some Photo Shop skills. Voila! The corrected image becomes much stronger. The implications are scary... can't believe what you read or see! Since, were all into audio as well, you can't always believe what you hear either!

chlorofille

• 8'' MTM with scanspeak 21w8554 & D2904 7100
« Reply #1183 on: 24 Aug 2010, 05:43 pm »
Lion in eternal pain.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #1184 on: 26 Aug 2010, 04:10 am »
Industrial Kansas City

SET Man

« Reply #1185 on: 26 Aug 2010, 04:39 am »
Hey!

Engine of vintage BMW motorcycle taken on the street of NYC.

Testing my new flatbed scanner HP Scanjet G4050 that I just picked up... cheapest flatbed scanner that could do 4X5 flim. Well, not bad so far. Before this I used my DSLR to convert the film into digital file, works pretty well actually :icon_lol:

Yes, I still like to take picture with B&W film sometime. Anyway, in this case the camera used was 1967 Minolta SRT 101, Minolta MC 50mm f1.7, Yellow filter, Kodak Tri-X 400 developed in Kodak D76. :D

My first try at strobe lighting with my 4x5.  Not bad, but it needed a fair amount of fixing in Photoshop to even it out.  The carpet got most of the light.  Vivitar 285HV into a 42" silver umbrella.  Developed in Diafine, which I am really liking.  Very forgiving!  :) 

Nathan, not bad at all. Look like the Vivitar is powerful enough. If I have to guess, did you shoot this with 90mm? What film did you use and what scanner.

As mentioned above I just got a flatbed scanner and still trying to figure out how to use it.  :scratch: 

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

nathanm

« Reply #1186 on: 26 Aug 2010, 02:42 pm »
That one I shot with my 180mm lens.  I first tried the 210mm lens (which I really ought to return one of these days from drphoto) but it was a bit too long for the room.  Film is Tri-X, scanner is Epson V750 Pro.  The specs they give for Diafine is kinda crazy.  They claim on the box you can shoot at ISO 1200 for sheet film!  I didn't trust that and just used 320 instead.  If you look up diafine on YouTube you should be able to find this guy, can't remember the name, but he's all about Tri-X in diafine for scanning purposes.  It does give you a really flat neg.  Maybe a smidge TOO much, but it's better than those really contrasty negs which are hard to finess in scanning.

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #1187 on: 26 Aug 2010, 08:27 pm »
Night industry in KC.

timztunz

« Reply #1188 on: 26 Aug 2010, 08:43 pm »
These pictures are always so awesome.  This thread is one of my favorite stops each day.  I thought it was time I told you all how much I enjoy it.

SET Man

« Reply #1189 on: 26 Aug 2010, 11:30 pm »
That one I shot with my 180mm lens.  I first tried the 210mm lens (which I really ought to return one of these days from drphoto) but it was a bit too long for the room.  Film is Tri-X, scanner is Epson V750 Pro.  The specs they give for Diafine is kinda crazy.  They claim on the box you can shoot at ISO 1200 for sheet film!  I didn't trust that and just used 320 instead.  If you look up diafine on YouTube you should be able to find this guy, can't remember the name, but he's all about Tri-X in diafine for scanning purposes.  It does give you a really flat neg.  Maybe a smidge TOO much, but it's better than those really contrasty negs which are hard to finess in scanning.

Hey!

Man! That mush have been one big chair, I thought the perspective play trick on me. :D

Don't know about ISO1200 man. I think I would stick with the normal usual speed.

Yes, I've heard that thiner and lower contrast neg scan better, but this will be hell to print on paper. So, I don't think I will be doing that. To me shooting B&W film is all about getting neg that would print well on paper. I still have my darkroom stuff and hope to use it someday when I have more time to print some pictures that I like. If I had to thin and flatten out my neg to get good scan than I might as well just use digital to make B&W. :D

Talking about developer. I started out with D76 than switched to X-tol after it was introduce and I actually like the X-tol a lot. And have used it extensively back than. Since now I don't do much of developing films plus that X-tol now only come in 5L I switched back to D76 of which still available in 1L package. But I might use X-tol again if know that I need to do couple of rolls at the same time or so. :D

Take care,

PS

Man! I don't remember when was the last time I talk about someone about B&W film and developer... feel kind of nice actually  :lol:

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #1190 on: 27 Aug 2010, 04:27 pm »
abstract middling dof

chlorofille

« Reply #1191 on: 27 Aug 2010, 04:31 pm »

The Sphinx, Egypt while on tour.

Hyfi

« Reply #1192 on: 27 Aug 2010, 06:37 pm »
Hey, for all you photo nuts out here, a friend of mine does some very cool night photography using colored lights and time exposures. Check out some of the galleries from this link.

http://www.lostamerica.com/

Scott F.

« Reply #1193 on: 27 Aug 2010, 08:41 pm »
WOW  :o

Those are flippin' awesome  :thumb:  :green:

Hey, for all you photo nuts out here, a friend of mine does some very cool night photography using colored lights and time exposures. Check out some of the galleries from this link.

SET Man

« Reply #1194 on: 28 Aug 2010, 02:48 am »

Hey!

Excellent works! I like it. :D

Take care,

tabrink

• lake life is good
« Reply #1195 on: 29 Aug 2010, 03:05 am »
downtown KC

bside123

« Reply #1196 on: 29 Aug 2010, 03:39 am »

Blowing up a goat. Do not attempt to perform this feat at home unless you are under the supervision of a professional.

Dhaka, Bangladesh - Canon G11

low.pfile

« Reply #1197 on: 29 Aug 2010, 03:48 am »
What a coincidence I saw some goat butchery today....

in front of jack london's cabin (landmark) in oakland, ca during eatreal fest today
D700, 35mm prime  (noon scorching sun)

PeteG

« Reply #1198 on: 29 Aug 2010, 05:13 pm »
Sorry no goat's, but did get some shots at the airshow this weekend.

Canon 7D, 70-200L IS f4

chlorofille

« Reply #1199 on: 29 Aug 2010, 05:33 pm »
First airplane shot was great! Did the pilot just take off ? Almost looked like you took the shot at the same level as the pilot.

Anyway, here's a pic of a skipper butterfly. They are extremely agile but get outmaneuvered by a dragonfly.