Picture Of The Day

BikeWNC

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #960 on: 21 Sep 2009, 12:31 am »

I shot this portrait of David Wilcox on Friday.

Panasonic Lumix G1 - kit lens, available light, ten minutes allotted for the photo shoot (I also had to interview him for an article). A couple of minutes in Lightroom and I had the right B&W setting.

Boy do I LOVE digital photography!

He looks a lot older than the last time I saw him.  Then again, so am I.   :duh:

nathanm

« Reply #961 on: 21 Sep 2009, 07:14 pm »
He looks kind of like Jeremy Irons in this particular shot (not so much on his website photos).  The glare on the guitar is a little distracting, but otherwise a good photo.  It's probably not, but the grain makes it looks like it's made from carbon fiber.  Probably wouldn't be the safest material when doing a Pete Townsend on it, but very light nonetheless.

Steven Stone

« Reply #962 on: 22 Sep 2009, 04:12 am »
((It's probably not, but the grain makes it looks like it's made from carbon fiber. ))

Actually it IS carbon fiber. Rainsong. His Olsons stay at home nowadays.

nathanm

« Reply #963 on: 22 Sep 2009, 07:26 pm »
Well I'll be danged.

PhilNYC

« Reply #964 on: 25 Sep 2009, 09:22 pm »
From my front yard:

JohnR

« Reply #965 on: 27 Sep 2009, 12:04 pm »
Why a large black bird would display such interest in a golf ball is a bit of a mystery to me... :dunno:

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #966 on: 27 Sep 2009, 02:53 pm »
Why a large black bird would display such interest in a golf ball is a bit of a mystery to me... :dunno:

Yeah, you are right.  Everyone knows that playing around with a golf ball is a complete waste of time.
 :nono: :lol:

Beautiful shot, by the way!

nathanm

« Reply #967 on: 28 Sep 2009, 08:58 pm »
Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take this old range ball and learn to swing
All your life, you were only waiting for your tee time to arrive

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #968 on: 5 Oct 2009, 03:29 am »
Frankfurt July 2006

Canon S2 IS

JohnR

« Reply #969 on: 5 Oct 2009, 09:51 am »
That's kinda cool - I like that.

JohnR

« Reply #970 on: 5 Oct 2009, 11:11 am »
A soldier crab, apparently demanding to know what i was doing standing on (or sinking into, more like it) his mud.

nathanm

« Reply #971 on: 5 Oct 2009, 04:15 pm »
John, so did you tell the crab, "At ease, soldier!" or maybe "STAND DOWN!"? :wink:

jqp, I can only assume that one must be called "What The Duck!?"

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #972 on: 6 Oct 2009, 12:13 am »
JohnR is that crab photo done with your 60mm macro?

nathanm - the duck picture I call "Eye on the duck". This duck was swimming around in the fountain in near Frankfurt's opera house (wish I had gotten to see one) and next thing I know, he is out on the edge and has some kind of beef with this guy - the duck stared at him for several seconds and kind of moved towards the man. Needless to say the man eyed him warily, because something was troubling this duck...I was taking in Frankfurt while on a business trip and happened to be there at the right time.

JohnR

« Reply #973 on: 6 Oct 2009, 10:59 am »
JohnR is that crab photo done with your 60mm macro?

Hi - no, this is with the AF-S 300/4 (same lens I took the crow picture with - I've been practicing!). Not a true macro but it worked well here.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #974 on: 10 Oct 2009, 03:54 am »
I was at the beach last week. As the sun was setting I was roasting coffee on the front porch of the beach house, and decided to take some pictures. I had read that to take a picture of the Moon you set your camera as you would for the sun for a shot in full Sun, since the Moon is just reflecting the Sun. It works - try it with your camera!

I used a tripod with my D90 and 18-200 VR lens.  (cropped 1:1) ISO 200, 1/250 f/7.1  and of course it helps to take it at 200mm

« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2009, 10:31 pm by jqp »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #975 on: 10 Oct 2009, 02:31 pm »
Thanks for the tease, but can we see it now?   :P  :wink:

Bob

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #976 on: 10 Oct 2009, 04:34 pm »
OK for some reason it linked at first but not later...also cleaned up the typos  :oops:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #977 on: 10 Oct 2009, 04:53 pm »
Nope, sorry dude. Still not working. Just shows a little box containing a failure message from PhotoBucket about the image being linked incorrectly.

jqp

• Volunteer
« Reply #978 on: 10 Oct 2009, 06:27 pm »
OK after a few refreshes it is still there...

Levi

« Reply #979 on: 10 Oct 2009, 11:48 pm »
We were in Barharbor, Maine for a short vacation and I took this picture of the sandbar crossing.  Normally, when the tide is high, this crossing is up to 8 feet of sea water.  Every year someone will park their car here and forget to come back before the tide goes up.  You will lose your car here.  The bike is mine, I find it quicker to cross the sandbar via bike rather than walking. :)