Picture Of The Day

SET Man

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #720 on: 20 Dec 2008, 05:35 am »
Hey!

Snow storm rolled in today here in NYC. Here are pictures of number 7 Subway line here in Queens this afternoon during the storm...

My sneaker and socks got wet but other than that it wasn't that bad. It is just a few days before Christmas after all :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

MaxCast

Statos at Night
« Reply #721 on: 31 Dec 2008, 10:17 pm »

Newbe here just trying out the camera.

viggen

« Reply #722 on: 1 Jan 2009, 09:20 am »
I am very much in awe of Nathan's photos. 

Just got my first DSLR last month, and here's my first submission.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #723 on: 9 Jan 2009, 11:13 pm »
Eight days, no pictures?  :(

Just to jump start the thread again.........I'll post a crappy, fuzzy picture.
Moments ago:

nathanm

« Reply #724 on: 9 Jan 2009, 11:45 pm »
Purple haze all in my scene
Color balance just don't seem too green
White balance is funny, but I don't know why
'scuse me while I shoot the sky

:P
Just kidding Bob, it's a fine photo.  The moon is a difficult subject.  The left side is soft, but nothing a little sharpening couldn't fix.  Shallow DOF? 

Moonlight is the one thing\feeling I think is 99.99% unphotographable.  Maybe you just have to look at the photo in a completely blackened room or something.  Those great nights where the clouds pass over a full moon, it just never comes out right on film.

nathanm

« Reply #725 on: 9 Jan 2009, 11:52 pm »
Last summer during my show I went outside and took some nothing snaps of this swing bridge railroad thing.  I didn't much care for the photos at all, but playing around in Lightroom turned them into a post-processing save.  Reality is so overrated.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #726 on: 10 Jan 2009, 01:27 am »
Nathan has a color photo!?!?!  :o
Somebody write this on a calender!

Regarding my photo, I had a filter on. Not sure why I have a purple filter.....  :roll: But it came with the kit.
But yea, the moon is bright enough to be the sun, and the left side might as well be chopped off.
Oh well. I spent a flat 10 seconds setting up and framing that photo.
I had been thinking recently this thread was a little too quiet, and just happened to walk outside and saw the moon in the trees.
I did actually change the camera to RAW, but Windows didn't know what the Hell to do with it, so what you got is straight out of the D40 on [FINE] setting the "good ol' fashion way".

But I got the thread revived.....  aa

Bob

edit; Nice shot of the tracks Nathan. I like it. Too bad it's not B&W.  :(   :lol:

SET Man

« Reply #727 on: 19 Jan 2009, 01:02 am »
Hey!

Take care,

SET Man

« Reply #728 on: 24 Jan 2009, 10:45 pm »
Hey!

Take care,

nathanm

« Reply #729 on: 26 Jan 2009, 04:50 pm »
I like the pears still life.  Nice warm colors, a bit of softness, good lines.

A rare macro shot with my 65mm.  This raccoon skull was found in the woods when I was like 10 years old.  It was completely clean just as it appears here.  Nature did all the gross work, leaving me with a nice specimen.  Some of the teeth have fallen out over the years, but that's why they invented Photoshop, aina?  (only one is fake)

face

« Reply #730 on: 26 Jan 2009, 04:57 pm »
Taken in Babylon a few months ago.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #731 on: 26 Jan 2009, 05:14 pm »
I am very much in awe of Nathan's photos. 

Just got my first DSLR last month, and here's my first submission.

Surprised no one has commented on your first submission.  I love it.  The lamp posts against the blue are very electric, the oversaturation is nice, and the gradations in the sky, although nothing spectacular, are nicely done, especially against the purple hued lower portion.  Very nice pic IMO.

SET Man

« Reply #732 on: 27 Jan 2009, 06:45 am »
I like the pears still life.  Nice warm colors, a bit of softness, good lines.

Hey!

The lens used is soft wide open, well it is an old lens after all. :D As for the color well the light was right and it also got bit to do with Fuji's "Sensia 400" color tone :wink:

BTW... that picture reminded me of Georgia O'Keefe's painting of skull. And those teeth still falling off after all these years? :o

Take care,

BradJudy

« Reply #733 on: 30 Jan 2009, 10:41 pm »
I've been scanning some old negatives.  About 10-15 years ago, while up on some family land in Wisconsin, there was a huge bloom of mushrooms.  It must have been the perfect alignment of conditions because they popped up all over, dozens of varieties, many I had never seen before.  I was shooting my Canon AT-1 with macro lens.  All of the pictures have a very small depth of field because I was hand shooting and had to shoot wide open under the tree cover. 

This one is anticipating Nathan's distaste for pedestrian photography and is pre-emptively giving him the finger.  :D

BradJudy

« Reply #734 on: 2 Feb 2009, 02:28 am »
I guess friendly jabs at Nathan don't earn you easy laughs - tough room.  :)

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #735 on: 2 Feb 2009, 03:08 am »
  :|
« Last Edit: 4 Feb 2009, 06:36 pm by Russell Dawkins »

viggen

« Reply #736 on: 4 Feb 2009, 02:46 am »
Surprised no one has commented on your first submission.  I love it.  The lamp posts against the blue are very electric, the oversaturation is nice, and the gradations in the sky, although nothing spectacular, are nicely done, especially against the purple hued lower portion.  Very nice pic IMO.

Thank you for your kind comments.  Photography is fun.  Work and school getting busy though so probably won't have time to play with my new toy for awhile.

One more shot of the same location but pointing at a different direction.

nathanm

« Reply #737 on: 4 Feb 2009, 04:18 pm »
I am pleased at how "filmy" the mushroom shots look.  I worry about whether or not film truly does have a solid look which cannot be duplicated with digital technology and shots like that help confirm that it does.  These Library of Congress scans on Flickr are really sweet too.  Very filmy and old school in their appearance.  Not that I am in favor of state-funded anything, but whaddaya gonna do, the photos were made.  :dunno:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/sets/72157603671370361/

boead

« Reply #738 on: 4 Feb 2009, 09:46 pm »

SET Man

« Reply #739 on: 6 Feb 2009, 05:37 am »
....  These Library of Congress scans on Flickr are really sweet too.  Very filmy and old school in their appearance.  Not that I am in favor of state-funded anything, but whaddaya gonna do, the photos were made.  :dunno:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/library_of_congress/sets/72157603671370361/

Hey!

Great find Nathan :D I didn't know that Library of Congress is on Flickr? I really enjoy looking at these old photos. :D

Take care,