PeteG

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #580 on: 4 Aug 2008, 03:28 am »
I like it as well.  Looks like a Kaleidoscope of leaves. :thumb:

I agree, very nice.

nathanm

« Reply #581 on: 4 Aug 2008, 04:39 pm »
I really like it.  Are those your fists?
Sorry, but I'm not seeing the fists. :scratch:

ooheadsoo

« Reply #582 on: 5 Aug 2008, 01:04 am »
Ok, consider me as having given a poor answer to a rorschach ink blot test... :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #583 on: 5 Aug 2008, 09:58 pm »
Sorry, but I'm not seeing the fists. :scratch:
They're on the right and left of the image (look only at the brightest greens). They appear to be "knuckle to knuckle". A bit like your hand would be holding a post hole digger in the open position.

Bob

nathanm

« Reply #584 on: 5 Aug 2008, 10:55 pm »
Ahh yes, now I see.

Levi

« Reply #585 on: 6 Aug 2008, 02:51 pm »
Buy one Singha beer get one FREE! :)

Nikon D3, Nikon 35-70mm f2.8, ISO 1600.  aa

nathanm

« Reply #586 on: 6 Aug 2008, 08:35 pm »
You're pulling our legs with this ISO 1600 business aren't you?  What's going on there, interpolated away in the size reduction?  Noise Ninja plugin or something?  Other special tricks?  I mean, I know its reduced and all, but you usually can still see the noise.  If that's just straight up out of the camera it's pretty impressive. 

If this keeps up we will be telling our grandkids how in our day there was such a thing as dim available light not affording us a shutter speed in excess of 1/30th and they'll look at us like we're nuts. 

Levi

« Reply #587 on: 6 Aug 2008, 08:47 pm »
Thanks Nathan.

It is straight from the camera.  Nowadays, tripods can be left at home :).  It is what it is.  No post processing.

Levi

« Reply #588 on: 6 Aug 2008, 08:50 pm »
Here is the original for scrutiny.  Sorry guys it's huge.

drphoto

« Reply #589 on: 6 Aug 2008, 09:16 pm »
Hey Levi, that camera has a greyscale shoot mode right? I mean that's not color converted?  If so, you can get one of those R72 filters and get a pretty cool approximation of infrared film. Of course, the darn things are opaque, so you have to compose and focus without the filter. Dunno if you like that sort of thing, but thought I'd mention it.

My Canon doesn't support greyscale and the trick only works when shot in greyscale mode. (I had a Nikon D1x a long time ago)

By the way, that's a really nice image, and not just because of the low noise.

nathanm

« Reply #590 on: 6 Aug 2008, 09:51 pm »
Thanks Nathan.

It is straight from the camera.  Nowadays, tripods can be left at home :).  It is what it is.  No post processing.
It's really good, but think what it could be WITH post-processing. There's good stuff hiding in that there histogram! aa  I see untapped potential here.

drphoto

« Reply #591 on: 6 Aug 2008, 11:16 pm »
Oh yeah, there's loads of detail there. I dunno if this improves the image or not. I messed around w/ it for about 5 minutes.

Levi

« Reply #592 on: 7 Aug 2008, 12:51 am »
I used in camera B&W processing.  R72 filters?  I have lots to learn  :scratch:  However, I can learn quick.  :D  Thanks for the tip.

Hey Levi, that camera has a greyscale shoot mode right? I mean that's not color converted?  If so, you can get one of those R72 filters and get a pretty cool approximation of infrared film. Of course, the darn things are opaque, so you have to compose and focus without the filter. Dunno if you like that sort of thing, but thought I'd mention it.

My Canon doesn't support greyscale and the trick only works when shot in greyscale mode. (I had a Nikon D1x a long time ago)

By the way, that's a really nice image, and not just because of the low noise.

Thanks Nathan, again guilty of not PP.

Also thanks for the creative criticisms. :)

Quote from: Nathan
It's really good, but think what it could be WITH post-processing. There's good stuff hiding in that there histogram!   I see untapped potential here.[\quote]

Levi

« Reply #593 on: 7 Aug 2008, 01:01 am »
Good job.  What did you do?  Increased brightness/exposure.  Now I can see more detail on people.   :thumb:

Oh yeah, there's loads of detail there. I dunno if this improves the image or not. I messed around w/ it for about 5 minutes.

drphoto

« Reply #594 on: 7 Aug 2008, 01:45 am »
Levi, sorry I uploaded such a small image. I'm so used to dealing w/ print, I forget about what's required for web.

I'll load a larger version when I get some time. I used a levels adjustment layer several times 'painting' the areas I lightened. I also duplicated the image and used the Image>Adjustments>Shadow/Highlight function and tossed on a layer mask to apply to certain areas. PM me if you want some tips.

Again, really nice pic. I'm not implying my jerking it around improved it any, just showing that there was a lot of detail there as Nathan suggested. I like the shot as it was shot.

The R72 filter is basically black. In the old days w/ IR film, you'd use a dark red (25) to block most visible light (the film wasn't very sensitive to blue) to get that glowing highlight, dark sky, weird ass look. W/ digital, you need to block all visible light, hence the black filter. IR shots can be either cool, or gimicky, like most 'alternative' techniques.

That Nikon is really impressive. I'd thought they'd fallen behind Canon, but clearly they've caught (way) up.

nathanm

« Reply #595 on: 7 Aug 2008, 05:44 am »
I can't see drphoto's edit, but I did a few versions in Lightroom.  So many ways you can play it…you don't want to totally kill the blacks, but you can boost Fill Light to really make the girls in the foreground pop out of the shadows, as well as the staircase area.  Highlight recovery can bring back the overexposed menu, but too much of that and the nice paper lampshade goes too grey.  The main thing is boosting the shadow detail.  It's there. just really compressed.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bag on the photo, just demonstrating that good photos can almost always benefit from some adjustment.  Especially black and whites, which to me lend themselves to interpretation.

It's also a bit weird switching from the dark grey background of Lightroom to the bright white and blue of the AC forum.  On AC the highlights seem a bit too dark.  Well, in any case the camera did a great job, there's very little hard clipping to speak of.

Cool sign!

Grumpy_Git

« Reply #596 on: 7 Aug 2008, 09:58 am »
maybe we need a "remix of the day" thread?  :D

Nick.

drphoto

« Reply #597 on: 7 Aug 2008, 08:24 pm »
I misstated something in my earlier post.  :oops: The old IR film was panchromatic or sensitive to all colors including blue. You used a deep red to absorb everything but red and IR wavelengths. That's why landscapes shot this way have the black skies. If you shot without the filter, it would look for the most part like normal film, except grainy as all hell.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #598 on: 7 Aug 2008, 11:39 pm »
ooheadsoo, I'd just like to say that you've got a most wondeful sense of
timing to your photo's
Somehow you manage to push that button, just on the mark!!!

I have to say, you don't happen to have a spare triggerfinger do you?  :thumb:

Imperial

denjo

« Reply #599 on: 8 Aug 2008, 01:20 am »
you've got a most wondeful sense of
timing to your photo's
Somehow you manage to push that button, just on the mark!!!

Cartier-Bresson (of Leica M4-2 fame) calls it the "decisive moment" - catch it and you've got your shot, miss it and the opportunity is gone forever! With the Olympic Games in Beijing starting soon, I would love to see all those lovely sports photos of atheletes captured in image, frozen in time, pushing the limits of the indomitable human spirit!

Best Regards
Dennis