Picture Of The Day

AdamM

• Robotbreeder.com
Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #160 on: 17 Aug 2007, 02:49 pm »
The Kef Muon Concept loudspeaker (Designed by Ross Lovegrove) snapped by my Nokia N95 at our New Malden Expo at Unilet Sound & Vision last month. Not every day you can listen to a £75,000 pair of speakers so we set up something special every year (including the PMC/Bryston BB5-XBD/BBQ setup in the car park!

Speakers that good, yet they don't treat the early reflections in the room?!>!   It's almost as bad as a 6Moons review (where they review in an untreated room)

Why use such great gear in such a lame room?  Defeats the purpose, no?

/A

mr_merrick

« Reply #161 on: 18 Aug 2007, 09:06 am »
To be fair, the room is unfinished but the system was fantastic regardless (the live acoustic only distracting at higher volumes)...since the pic was taken, we've installed 3x PMC in-wall speakers with an 8ft projector screen.  The curtains for the rear wall are the next phase, then the seating, then finally a HAA evaluation of the room with all manner of room treatment to get it perfect.  Won't be so 'lame' then...  :roll:

KCI-JohnP

« Reply #162 on: 18 Aug 2007, 05:17 pm »
What type of material are those speakers made out of?? Nice curves to them.

John

nathanm

« Reply #163 on: 18 Aug 2007, 05:58 pm »
« Last Edit: 19 Aug 2007, 03:49 am by nathanm »

brj

« Reply #164 on: 20 Aug 2007, 04:26 pm »
Wow, great shot, Nathan!

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
« Reply #165 on: 20 Aug 2007, 04:42 pm »
If I told you guys that this is a ray trace...

You would not believe that would you?
Well I'm not telling!  :thumb:

But it's my picture of the day.

Imperial

nathanm

« Reply #166 on: 20 Aug 2007, 05:09 pm »
Sometimes I am in sheer awe as to what is possible with 3d rendering.  How they actually managed to distill all the effects of light into something that can be programmed and recreated.   Nutty!

Did you make that lamp Imperial?  I certainly would never have thought it was "phony" if nobody mentioned it.  Although it is small.  Wait, don't answer that; you said you're not telling! :wink:

nathanm

« Reply #167 on: 20 Aug 2007, 05:13 pm »
Thanks brj! Later that same day...

After I got home and looked at these I realized I just shot a cheesy postcard! *doh!*  Oh well, I still kinda like it.
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2007, 05:07 pm by nathanm »

Imperial

« Reply #168 on: 20 Aug 2007, 06:03 pm »
Sometimes I am in sheer awe as to what is possible with 3d rendering.  How they actually managed to distill all the effects of light into something that can be programmed and recreated.   Nutty!

Did you make that lamp Imperial?  I certainly would never have thought it was "phony" if nobody mentioned it.  Although it is small.  Wait, don't answer that; you said you're not telling! :wink:

Ok. Twice the size then.
Take a close look ...  8)

Imperial

nathanm

« Reply #169 on: 20 Aug 2007, 06:41 pm »
It looks pretty darn real, like a lamp on a hotel wall or something (even got the wire staples and everything) but I am saying it's a ray tracing simply for the reason that you wouldn't have brought it up if it wasn't! Am I right?

Imperial

« Reply #170 on: 20 Aug 2007, 06:54 pm »
Well if it was taken by a Fuji F31 FD in broad daylight, you would say: No way... right?

But you are right, at this level of resolution, there is just no way you can tell if its a raytrace, or if its a photoshop chop, or if its a exposure manipulation on a Fuji F31... :roll:

The reason for making it a little blurry in the statement is to highlight the fact that, yes a picture is worth a 1000 words. But a picture might be perceived through words as well, or the eyes might be seeing what they are told to see.

Imperial
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2007, 09:53 pm by Imperial »

nathanm

« Reply #171 on: 22 Aug 2007, 03:58 am »

Now, if I told ya'll this was created entirely in PC Paintshow would you believe me? :P  Kidding...

Imperial

« Reply #172 on: 22 Aug 2007, 09:37 am »
Hehe!
It's lovely sun today here! I'll go shoot some pics, its my day off today! Gotta get snappin!

Imperial

JohnR

« Reply #173 on: 22 Aug 2007, 09:47 am »
Now, if I told ya'll this was created entirely in PC Paintshow would you believe me? :P  Kidding...

That's a great picture! C'mon, spill! You took it? With the 4x5? No? Yes?

(OK I confess I don't like the border.)

Imperial

« Reply #174 on: 22 Aug 2007, 10:40 am »
This is a Stinging Nettle Leaf from my garden.
Check out the tiny tiny fly on the underside of the leaf!
Can you guys spot it?
The leaf is some 25mm about an inch

The Fuji F31 does have an impressive macro!!!

A zoom up (from the above image full size file) on the fly: ( I did some adjusting to the crop)

The fly is some 1/50'th of an inch... or something... Small little sucker!!!

The Fuji is NOT suppose to be able to focus at this distance 35 - 45mm from the leaf ca...
But it did!!!
It made some horrible noises for 3 seconds, then it came up with this amazing closeup!
Imperial
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2007, 12:44 pm by Imperial »

Imperial

« Reply #175 on: 22 Aug 2007, 11:53 am »

After I got home and looked at these I realized I just shot a cheesy postcard! *doh!*  Oh well, I still kinda like it.
Nathan!
This is a great photo!!!
I just re-calibrated my Samsung 959nf CRT and I just had to have this as my new desktop!!!
 :thumb:

Imperial
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2007, 06:57 pm by Imperial »

nathanm

« Reply #176 on: 22 Aug 2007, 02:52 pm »

That's a great picture! C'mon, spill! You took it? With the 4x5? No? Yes?

(OK I confess I don't like the border.)

What, I said "kidding"!  :P  It is most assuredly a photograph, not a digital painting.  But you knew that!  :)  I've been shooting digital lately to scout locations where I might want to shoot large format.  The difference in speed and mobility is of course very large.  I don't have more 4x5 shots to show because I don't have a scanner or enlarger quite yet.  And let's face it, if you're "finishing" on the web\computer monitor (thanks for that term Ken Rockwell, you incompetent, small-potatoes, crooked horizon snap shooter you) you guys looking at this aren't gonna see big differences, at least in regards to absolute resolution. 

Border too rough maybe?  Yeah, it might be.  I've decided that I don't want to present straight edged images so I've been adding mottled edges to my shots.  I draw it with a custom brush and then usually Median the hell out of it, but that particular one of the hay bales was un-Medianed.

Here's a slideshow on Flickr with more of these landscape shots that I've done recently:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58178592@N00/sets/72157600278467030/show/
« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2007, 03:12 pm by nathanm »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #177 on: 22 Aug 2007, 04:47 pm »

Nathan,

great photos, but this one shows blank for me with the text "this photo is currently unavailable".

Russell

nathanm

« Reply #178 on: 22 Aug 2007, 05:04 pm »
I think I know why, cause I made a change and replaced it.  Hmm, so that must mean if I'm seeing it my browser cache is displaying it.  Let's see here... *option refresh*

Sho nuff...it be broken.

Better like this:

brj

« Reply #179 on: 22 Aug 2007, 06:38 pm »
Quote from: nathanm
if you're "finishing" on the web\computer monitor (thanks for that term Ken Rockwell, you incompetent, small-potatoes, crooked horizon snap shooter you)

:rotflmao:

"Post card" shot or not, it is a great pic.  I miss having Lake Michigan nearby...

It also easily highlighted the differences between LCD monitors.  Viewed on the LCD at work and the borrowed laptop at home, it was substantially different.