Picture Of The Day

FireGuy

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #3580 on: 18 Nov 2014, 07:02 pm »
Plows are getting stuck along with most 4x4 emergency vehicles.   Snow mobiles are the necessity but even those will have to carefully negotiate with six feet.  CO detectors going crazy, all need to make sure your furnace vent is clear.  Yeah, it's bad, really bad. 

Plus, I recently ordered a Canton sub to be delivered shortly.  Ummmmm No!

milford3

« Reply #3581 on: 18 Nov 2014, 07:12 pm »
I feel for ya FireGuy.  Although not a snowstorm but I did go though super storm Sandy.  This damaged condo was next to mine.  It was right on the beach. :(

FireGuy

« Reply #3582 on: 18 Nov 2014, 08:32 pm »
Milford3- That's one of a handful of pictures of the decade.  BTW, the snow rate has increased. 

FireGuy

« Reply #3583 on: 18 Nov 2014, 09:44 pm »
Our Quint (Truck 2) this morning. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #3584 on: 18 Nov 2014, 10:44 pm »
Fireguy, where are you!?!?  :o

FireGuy

« Reply #3585 on: 18 Nov 2014, 11:20 pm »
Town of Lancaster, NY (or better known today as "Bulls Eye", NY).  61" now and still coming.

milford3

« Reply #3586 on: 19 Nov 2014, 12:29 am »
WOW WOW AND WOW.  The Quint should be in house.

FireGuy

« Reply #3587 on: 19 Nov 2014, 12:34 am »
WOW WOW AND WOW.  The Quint should be in house.

It made it back to the house.  With wheel loader help. 

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3588 on: 19 Nov 2014, 12:56 am »
Town of Lancaster, NY (or better known today as "Bulls Eye", NY).  61" now and still coming.
Wow, that's crazy. We heard on the news this morning about the lake effect near Boston creating 5' of snow, but they didn't mention NY.
I'll pray for y'all. That's nothing short of amazing. I don't see how a city doesn't just shut down.

FireGuy

« Reply #3589 on: 19 Nov 2014, 01:17 am »
Wow, that's crazy. We heard on the news this morning about the lake effect near Boston creating 5' of snow, but they didn't mention NY.
I'll pray for y'all. That's nothing short of amazing. I don't see how a city doesn't just shut down.

Only South Buffalo got affected today.  But that will change tonight and tomorrow.  Should the predictions of additional LE snow be true, my area could get a total of ten feet when it's all done by Friday.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3590 on: 19 Nov 2014, 01:32 am »
I just can't fathom snow to my gutters.  :scratch:
I'd like to experience it once, but only under the close supervision and care-taking of a local seasoned professional.   :lol:

The most I've ever experienced in my life was 24", and that was back in 1981-82.

milford3

« Reply #3591 on: 19 Nov 2014, 01:49 am »
I 90 . Incredible

FireGuy

« Reply #3592 on: 19 Nov 2014, 01:53 am »
I just can't fathom snow to my gutters.  :scratch:
I'd like to experience it once, but only under the close supervision and care-taking of a local seasoned professional.   :lol:

The most I've ever experienced in my life was 24", and that was back in 1981-82.

Somewhere there is my daughter-in-laws car.   24" feels like a "dusting" right now.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3593 on: 19 Nov 2014, 02:04 am »
 :shake: I'm speechless on those last two pics.   :o

As much as I hate to say it, I love seeing the photos. Just shear fascination at the depth.

So here's a question for you guys "up there"......Does your job just assume you're not coming in, and it's acceptable?
Granted, the emergency personnel are expected to be super-human and are expected to be there, but what about the rest of the folks?
Do you just stay at home and shovel the snow from your roof?

chip

« Reply #3594 on: 19 Nov 2014, 02:11 am »
I thought 2' of snow over a day or two(Wisconsin) was a lot but wow this is just crazy. I would think things would just be shut down.

Last week school was cancelled to be on the safe side for the kids as there was a chance of snow(Beaverton, OR). Last Feb we has snow\freezing rain Thursday -Monday and things go to shutdown mode....mainly schools.

Love that highway pic.

FireGuy

« Reply #3595 on: 19 Nov 2014, 02:13 am »

As much as I hate to say it, I love seeing the photos. Just shear fascination at the depth.

So here's a question for you guys "up there"......Does your job just assume you're not coming in, and it's acceptable?
Granted, the emergency personnel are expected to be super-human and are expected to be there, but what about the rest of the folks?

When it's this bad (once every three or four decades) yes, your employer assumes "snow days" are appropriate.  Very acceptable.  My employer had 1/2 of the staff report because they are north of the narrow band.  I'm waiting for my FD to pick me up but it's just impassable right now.  We do what we can.  Gov. Como has sent out the National Guard and a fleet of plows to help.  My street has five feet plus.   No, we don't shovel from the roof, we snow dive. 

Don_S

« Reply #3596 on: 19 Nov 2014, 02:16 am »

When I live near "Too-Little-To-Do" (Toledo), OH there were times when the roads were officially closed and it was a crime to be on them. I was a supervisor at a plant that ran 24/7 because there was no way to shut it down. It only partially shut down when a furnace needed to be rebuilt.  Needless to say, I was expected to be at work.

One time the National Guard came in with front loaders and dump trucks.  There was too much to plow.

I am sorry, but I hate snow.  I even hate pictures of snow. When the news broadcasts report about the storms in the east, I turn the channel. California dreamin' for this kid.

WireNut

« Reply #3597 on: 19 Nov 2014, 04:51 am »
Wow, unbelievable amount of snow. And I thought it was bad in Cincinnati .

RDavidson

« Reply #3598 on: 19 Nov 2014, 05:11 am »
Don S, I'm with you. I grew up in KS. Winters could sometimes be harsh, but are pretty mild, and actually almost pleasant if you enjoy having 4 true seasons. Compared to what I've experienced in SD, since I moved here 2 years ago, I now thoroughly HATE winter and snow. I hate bundling up just to go to the grocery. I hate all the salt, sand, and wet mess. I hate the cold. It's miserable. Couple this to -40 temps (not including wind chill) and you just want to move somewhere close to the equator forever. I know I don't have it worse than people even further north of me, but when you're talking -20, -40 temps for weeks, what difference is -50, -60, really? And the straight line winds through here........MY GOODNESS........the wind is what is truly killer. Did I mention that winters have lasted 5-6 months (in my experience thus far) and there's NOTHING to do if you don't snowmobile or ice fish?

Thanks to AC and music and audio gear for keeping me from going out of my mind over the next 6 months. :thumb:

Guy 13

« Reply #3599 on: 19 Nov 2014, 07:08 am »
Don S, I'm with you. I grew up in KS. Winters could sometimes be harsh, but are pretty mild, and actually almost pleasant if you enjoy having 4 true seasons. Compared to what I've experienced in SD, since I moved here 2 years ago, I now thoroughly HATE winter and snow. I hate bundling up just to go to the grocery. I hate all the salt, sand, and wet mess. I hate the cold. It's miserable. Couple this to -40 temps (not including wind chill) and you just want to move somewhere close to the equator forever. I know I don't have it worse than people even further north of me, but when you're talking -20, -40 temps for weeks, what difference is -50, -60, really? And the straight line winds through here........MY GOODNESS........the wind is what is truly killer. Did I mention that winters have lasted 5-6 months (in my experience thus far) and there's NOTHING to do if you don't snowmobile or ice fish?

Thanks to AC and music and audio gear for keeping me from going out of my mind over the next 6 months. :thumb:
Hi R.
You wrote you want to move somewhere close to the equator.
Well, planet Vietnam is almost sitting on the equator.
The Vietnamese thermometer oscillate around 100F is that hot enough for you?
And for the same price, no typhoon, no earthquake, no volcano, no flooding, well where I live anyway and no snow. The coldest my wife said she saw was 16C and me I saw 20C (In Saigon) and it lasted only two days in both cases.
 So when can I expect to see you with your audio stuff?
I love the snow, but not the cold.

Guy on hot planet Vietnam.

A long, long time ago, I saw 36" of snow in March. I was stuck in the bus,
but I got out ans walk (Read crawl) over the snow to get back home.