• "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #3560 on: 9 Nov 2014, 06:56 pm »
That's fantastic, great story. Happy Birthday Special K!  :thumb:
Can we have a link to his work?

gnuyork

« Reply #3561 on: 9 Nov 2014, 08:02 pm »
B side - what a wonderful story. I love it when people get their chance to shine and deliver. It's even cooler knowing it's one of your kids. Great story!

Scott F.

« Reply #3562 on: 11 Nov 2014, 02:38 pm »
Din, cool story :thumb: I hope he can stick with it. There is nothing like following your passion and being able to make a living at it.

chip

« Reply #3563 on: 13 Nov 2014, 05:37 pm »
gnuyork: lovely, classic image.

Here's a photo with a music story.

Last week, Kyger aka "DJ Special K," gave his first performance, a debut, at a local club in Carbondale. The moniker "Special K" comes from his name "Kyger," not the street drug. He's never done drugs. Kyger is no less than one of my own kids... I helped to raise him, and today he turns 18. Happy Birthday!

His passion, like many of us, has been music since he was barely old enough to walk. Last Thursday he was invited to be the opening act for a touring band, and so this was his first gig. Until last week, he was lucky enough to spin tunes at a family party or a youth dance. He's been practicing everyday with mixing, mashing, etc., and for a solid year, he has posted his one-hour mixes, each week, online. The kid is dedicated to DJing. I helped get him his gear, and Electronic Dance Music is his thing. Think big festivals, which he's only ever been to one in Chicago... his high school graduation present.

So... last Thursday night he's almost peeing in his pants when he tells me, "I GOT A REAL GIG! They want me to play at the Hangar." He wasn't 18 until today, so his mom, dad and I went to support him, and so he could get into the club! The announcer introduced him as a 17 year old doing his first ever performance.... "Let's hear it for DJ Special K!" The audience was silent.

I advised him... "This your first shot. This is your moment. You got this. Pull out the stops, don't hold back and take no prisoners!"

He mixed and spun tunes to the crowd for over an hour. He hyped the audience, jumped up and down, introduced his mixes and lip synced the lyrics. The place was a buzz with, "Get a load of that kid! Wow... he's really good! Amazing." He shined bright in his special moment, and ever since, he's been getting calls to perform, book gigs and hang out as a real guy with local musicians. After all, now he's, "18 and he likes it!"

By the way: ISO 8000, 1/30 sec, f/4, 50mm

DJ Special K Debut

Love the pic and great story! Congrats to you on helping him out and on his first gig and + more gigs.  :D

PeteG

« Reply #3564 on: 14 Nov 2014, 01:46 am »
Yes, cool story. Hope it all works out for him.

Guy 13

« Reply #3565 on: 14 Nov 2014, 03:20 am »

Hi bside123.
Nice story, you should be proud of your 18 years old son.
Good luck to him.

Guy 13

Some DJs are so good that you cannot tell when the music/song goes from one to the other,
the transition is seamless.
Minds you, disco music most of the time got more or less the same tune or rhythm.

gnuyork

« Reply #3566 on: 15 Nov 2014, 04:20 pm »
Nice fall day for record shopping last weekend in Buckhead.

Jon L

« Reply #3567 on: 16 Nov 2014, 06:21 pm »

EOSE2423bicol by drjlo1, on Flickr

PeteG

« Reply #3568 on: 17 Nov 2014, 12:02 am »
Jon, very nice colors.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3569 on: 17 Nov 2014, 12:17 am »
Indeed!
What are those?

Jon L

« Reply #3570 on: 17 Nov 2014, 02:21 am »
Indeed!
What are those?

Clearly you guys need to give flowers to your S.O. more often.  Those are water tubes that go on ends of flower stems  :green:

EOSE2414Bleach by drjlo1, on Flickr

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3571 on: 17 Nov 2014, 02:44 am »
Nice, thanks Jon.
I am proud to say that I married a woman that feels flowers are a waste of money, and that she'd rather see me show my love and affection in my (free) daily actions, as opposed to spending $___.00 on some flowers that will die soon.

Ok then. Gotta go. I need to get out of my man cave and give my wife a hug and kiss.   :lol:

Guy 13

« Reply #3572 on: 17 Nov 2014, 03:52 am »
Hi all.
My wife like so much flowers that she buy them herself. :thumb:

Guy 13

Guy 13

« Reply #3573 on: 17 Nov 2014, 03:58 am »

JakeJ

« Reply #3574 on: 18 Nov 2014, 12:01 am »
Nice macros, Guy! That last one of the garden, that building is a miniature, correct?

Guy 13

« Reply #3575 on: 18 Nov 2014, 01:11 am »
Nice macros, Guy! That last one of the garden, that building is a miniature, correct?

Hi JakeJ.
Thanks for the compliment.
Yes, the house is a miniature (10 feet high) everything you seen is inside a green house.

Guy 13

low.pfile

« Reply #3576 on: 18 Nov 2014, 01:38 am »
Jon L, That is a great image of such an average little piece of plastic. Nice vision.

gnuyork, Good sighting of that urban landscape scene. the shadow that falls on the left side gives it lots of drama.

milford3

« Reply #3577 on: 18 Nov 2014, 06:23 pm »
Lancaster New York at 1:00 PM today.  And its still snowing.  Another twenty inches yet to fall.

FireGuy

« Reply #3578 on: 18 Nov 2014, 06:33 pm »
I've lived here since 1989.  Unprecedented for sure.  Exhausting just keeping up with the drive way.  Out there every two hours.  Going to run out of gas on the Toro.  6 feet + projected.  Why does my boss keep calling?

chip

« Reply #3579 on: 18 Nov 2014, 06:55 pm »
Lancaster New York at 1:00 PM today.  And its still snowing.  Another twenty inches yet to fall.

Yikes - I don't miss that....well we never got hit that hard but still.