Picture Of The Day

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #3100 on: 16 Jun 2014, 10:44 pm »
This pic is in Cortland, NY, technically, heading east on US 11 south.    I googled US 11 and then I had to figure out which state used that "41" sign.

You look like the kind of fellow that would enjoy; http://geoguessr.com/
Based on your comment and "detective work", I think you'd enjoy that site.  :wink:
(let me know if you need a hand)

Bob

gnuyork

« Reply #3101 on: 17 Jun 2014, 02:27 am »
This pic is in Cortland, NY, technically, heading east on US 11 south.    I googled US 11 and then I had to figure out which state used that "41" sign.

HsvHeelFan

Indeed it is Cortland, NY. Good sleuthing  :thumb:.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3102 on: 18 Jun 2014, 12:03 am »

mikeeastman

« Reply #3103 on: 18 Jun 2014, 12:45 am »
Looks like lake Powell.  :scratch:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3104 on: 18 Jun 2014, 12:59 am »
Bingo!  :thumb:

bside123

« Reply #3105 on: 19 Jun 2014, 01:08 am »
I was wondering if anyone could guess my location? Hint... it's not Kansas.

1) Lit by a torch, a handicapped, homeless person begs for mercy and money at night in the streets.

2) Believe it or not... this is a colorful gravedigger. In the belief that it is both holy and good for your hair, men and women use henna
regularly to treat their hair and scalp. The problem is (photo is proof) that in an older, grey-haired person, the henna tends to
turn orange... except to these folks... it ain't a problem. It's a look for sure... and on a gravedigger!

3) Street Juice - Made right on the street corner ( or should I say on the street), a concoction of Aloe Vera, herbs, spices, minerals and some sort of "juju" has these fellows gather around to drink this "health smoothie" at the top of the morning. They say, "If it don't kill ya', it'll make you stronger." I was considering marketing this stuff as a "weight loss" program for obese folks in the west. Basically, if you'd drink one cup, you'd be losing weight for months on end, or out the end...  They do publish a diarrhea death toll in the local papers!

A Look

Redhead Deadhead

Street Juice

charmerci

« Reply #3106 on: 19 Jun 2014, 01:46 am »
Looks like lake Powell.  :scratch:

I couldn't quite figure it out either - but with the low level of the water, the "red" rocks are blanched.

charmerci

« Reply #3107 on: 19 Jun 2014, 01:52 am »

The British Parliament.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3108 on: 19 Jun 2014, 03:07 am »

Jaipur ?

JakeJ

« Reply #3109 on: 19 Jun 2014, 12:43 pm »

Didn't you tell us just a few posts back that you are in Dhaka?  Please keep posting your wonderful photos, you have an excellent eye, IMO.

Bob, what's the deal with that black cat?  Cool timing on that shot.

I like the orange hair.  A few more years and my hair will be silvered enough to pull that off.   :lol:

bside123

« Reply #3110 on: 19 Jun 2014, 10:43 pm »
Didn't you tell us just a few posts back that you are in Dhaka?  Please keep posting your wonderful photos, you have an excellent eye, IMO.

I like the orange hair.  A few more years and my hair will be silvered enough to pull that off.   :lol:

Hi JakeJ: My question was actually "tongue in cheek." I've been posting from an "unusual" place that most people have never visited, let alone think to go there. Since people were sleuthing locations, it was also a little joke to see if folks were paying attention. Yes, all of those photos were from Dhaka, Bangladesh, so you win the prize. Thanks for the compliments by the way.  :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3111 on: 20 Jun 2014, 02:20 am »
Thank you!
That was a pretty young cat at the time the photo was taken a few years back. The cat liked to sleep under the area rug and poke her nose out (for fresh air, we presume).
The tongue sticking out was another one of her quirks.
It's cute to look at, but at 2:00 am when you're half asleep and don't notice the rug has a big lump, it's scares the daylights out of the cat and tends to give you carpet burn across all five toes.

low.pfile

« Reply #3112 on: 22 Jun 2014, 06:32 am »
saw my first unmanned aerial vehicle today in SF.

[ a couple more photos ]

bside123

« Reply #3113 on: 22 Jun 2014, 11:00 am »
saw my first unmanned aerial vehicle today in SF.

[ a couple more photos ]

Alright... that's kinda cool and kinda creepy. Blade Runner here we come.

bside123

« Reply #3114 on: 22 Jun 2014, 12:30 pm »
From the back of a bicycle rickshaw "delivery truck," a chicken distributor makes a delivery to a chicken wholesaler who will provide live chickens to the neighborhood street restaurants along with offering some local retail sales. Fresh chickens in the streets of Dhaka, Bangladesh.  :angel:

Chicken Delivery

At night, a crowd streams along a narrow walkway to enter the 250 year old tomb of a local saint, at a special ceremonial observance for commemorating the ancestors.

Entering the Tomb of Shah Mari
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2014, 04:39 am by bside123 »

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #3115 on: 27 Jun 2014, 02:05 am »
Hummingbirds? I got your hummingbirds...

NOT MY Video or my facebook (don't have facebook) but you have got to see this

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=827415023936119&set=o.133669816690312&type=2&theater

SET Man

« Reply #3116 on: 27 Jun 2014, 02:56 am »

3) Street Juice - Made right on the street corner ( or should I say on the street), a concoction of Aloe Vera, herbs, spices, minerals and some sort of "juju" has these fellows gather around to drink this "health smoothie" at the top of the morning. They say, "If it don't kill ya', it'll make you stronger." I was considering marketing this stuff as a "weight loss" program for obese folks in the west. Basically, if you'd drink one cup, you'd be losing weight for months on end, or out the end...  They do publish a diarrhea death toll in the local papers!

Hey!

They publish death toll related to this stuff? I guess you'll lose lots of weight to the point that you turn to dust for some!  Man! And people still drink this stuff?  :scratch:

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

jjdog2

« Reply #3117 on: 29 Jun 2014, 02:20 am »
Photobombed.

bside123

« Reply #3118 on: 29 Jun 2014, 10:11 am »
The many faces and cycles of life in a very remote village of Bangladesh... one of the world's poorest of places. Over the course of 4 days, these three pictures are from a batch of many photos that were taken within a block of each other in the same rural village.

1) The beauty of kids is the same everywhere. Despite their abject poverty, the sparkle in these kids' eyes reveals their purity of heart and their delight.

2) Old age, with its wisdom and nobility, can be seen etched into the timeless face of Abdul Awwal, who seems to exhibit a sense of peace that's hard to find in the "developed" modern world.

3) Not for the squeamish or faint of heart, this butcher poses with the morning's sacrifice. The meat was distributed to the poor. There are no supermarkets here, and an outdoor BBQ is simply how one cooks their food... every single day.

Village Kids

Abdul Awwal

Buffalo Blood Bath
« Last Edit: 3 Aug 2014, 04:36 am by bside123 »

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #3119 on: 29 Jun 2014, 02:56 pm »
Fantastic pictures, thank you very much.  :thumb:
I love the glimpse into other areas and cultures of the world.