Picture Of The Day

bside123

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #3020 on: 10 May 2014, 03:35 am »
Hey!

I too still like Flickr, and its got a good community and etc there. But I have to say 500px is impressive... hmm, not sure if I want to migrate there.

For most parts Flickr is just fine.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

Buddy like I said, the image quality of 500px is quite impressive as well as the layout, flow, etc. But... and this is a big but... the site is loaded with tons of spammers and gamers. Lots of politics and people competing for hits. In spite of the, beautiful image IQ (great color) for a website, it seems that 500px is now really aimed at building popularity via social media... and getting hits and membership.  It's members will do just about anything to get attention. There is a small margin of members who seem to have figured out how to rule the popularity of their images and the rest get buried.

Because of the superior image quality, one approach could be to continue to use Flickr, and then if someone shows interest in either buying an image or wanting to see it further, upload it to 500px in high rez. They can have a good look, and if they want, buy the image directly in a number of applications. I use it for some images, and I don't care about the 500px popularity, favorites, followers, following games or power struggle conflicts. I have a hard time stomach some of the social aspects I've seen.

On the other hand, I do gotta say that being able to upload larger files with lots of pixels is great. Here's an example AND once you've loaded the image, press the "M": key to open it full size: http://500px.com/photo/69487431/austin-utility-company-by-din-dayemi?from=user_library

Din

low.pfile

« Reply #3021 on: 10 May 2014, 03:42 am »
gnuyorkguy.
your shots are great! like the compositions.

I keep considering 500px.com myself. There lots of high quality images there and I don't feel I have the work to support an account quite yet.  Your last comment had me wondering though if I had missed something, as instagram is very different from 500px. AFAIK, Instagram images have a maximum resolution of only 612 x 612 pixel, and is primarily populated with phone generated images, by everyone and their grandmother of various quality. Its prioritized interface is smartphones/tabs. Whereas, 500px is primarily pro and serious photographers using it as an online portfolio of sorts, therefore image size and quality is very high (although it does match the max resolution of Flickr). 500px prioritizes computer screen interface to optimize image viewing.

Also, browsing through the random images on 500px is much more open than on instagram--other than a small changing set of images on instagram under the Discover tab. Othewise, on instagram you need to actively choose to "follow" a user to see their images.

edit:I crossposted with bsides123

gnuyork

« Reply #3022 on: 10 May 2014, 12:45 pm »
Your last comment had me wondering though if I had missed something, as instagram is very different from 500px. AFAIK, Instagram images have a maximum resolution of only 612 x 612 pixel, and is primarily populated with phone generated images, by everyone and their grandmother of various quality. Its prioritized interface is smartphones/tabs. Whereas, 500px is primarily pro and serious photographers using it as an online portfolio of sorts, therefore image size and quality is very high (although it does match the max resolution of Flickr). 500px prioritizes computer screen interface to optimize image viewing.

Also, browsing through the random images on 500px is much more open than on instagram--other than a small changing set of images on instagram under the Discover tab. Othewise, on instagram you need to actively choose to "follow" a user to see their images.

edit:I crossposted with bsides123

I just did a really quick glance of 500px (literally less than 30 secs)...I saw that members could like images and that it could flow like instagram...that was my only observation of the similarities. I do realize instagram is mostly for the phone based culture, but I actually upload photos not taken with my phone...and yes the resolution is small... that's why I said 500 px was like instagram but more (meaning more like an instagram social experience than flickr or photobucket as far as I can tell) - again just from a quick glance... but what do I know ha ha.

SET Man

« Reply #3023 on: 11 May 2014, 03:25 am »
Buddy like I said, the image quality of 500px is quite impressive as well as the layout, flow, etc. But... and this is a big but... the site is loaded with tons of spammers and gamers. Lots of politics and people competing for hits. In spite of the, beautiful image IQ (great color) for a website, it seems that 500px is now really aimed at building popularity via social media... and getting hits and membership.  It's members will do just about anything to get attention. There is a small margin of members who seem to have figured out how to rule the popularity of their images and the rest get buried.

Because of the superior image quality, one approach could be to continue to use Flickr, and then if someone shows interest in either buying an image or wanting to see it further, upload it to 500px in high rez. They can have a good look, and if they want, buy the image directly in a number of applications. I use it for some images, and I don't care about the 500px popularity, favorites, followers, following games or power struggle conflicts. I have a hard time stomach some of the social aspects I've seen.

On the other hand, I do gotta say that being able to upload larger files with lots of pixels is great. Here's an example AND once you've loaded the image, press the "M": key to open it full size: http://500px.com/photo/69487431/austin-utility-company-by-din-dayemi?from=user_library

Din

Hey!

Din, thanks for the link, nice. Yes, I've been talking about 500px with other photographers and heard about how people there are like. So, in a way I do like the low key, easy going feel of Flickr better. But right now my Flickr is full of stuffs and clutters. Maybe it would be nice to have a place where I can focus on my favorite photos.

Well, I don't know. I will have to check out 500px more and see how things work there.

Take care,

jjdog2

« Reply #3024 on: 13 May 2014, 01:41 pm »

jhm731

« Reply #3025 on: 14 May 2014, 03:37 am »

bside123

« Reply #3026 on: 14 May 2014, 02:21 pm »
Free Spirit Biker Church in Paducah, KY

Free Spirit Biker Church

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #3027 on: 14 May 2014, 11:01 pm »

gnuyork

« Reply #3028 on: 15 May 2014, 04:17 pm »
^ Nicely seen (Scene).

jjdog2

« Reply #3029 on: 15 May 2014, 05:47 pm »

bside123

« Reply #3030 on: 17 May 2014, 01:35 pm »
Stopped by a Class of 2014 graduation party yesterday evening. Here, these graduating seniors pledge their never ending love and friendship. Oh... those days!

Mates Forever

gnuyork

« Reply #3031 on: 18 May 2014, 01:43 pm »
Stopped by a Class of 2014 graduation party yesterday evening. Here, these graduating seniors pledge their never ending love and friendship. Oh... those days!

Mates Forever

Nice moment, nice capture. I remember those days too - those guys are still my best friends  - and the ones I was on my "bear" trip with in the Adirondacks I wrote about a while back.

gnuyork

« Reply #3032 on: 18 May 2014, 01:44 pm »

Jon L

« Reply #3033 on: 19 May 2014, 12:14 am »
Caught on Samsung Nexus Phone camera

IMG_20140511_161335b by drjlo1, on Flickr

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #3034 on: 19 May 2014, 04:00 pm »
It's Magnolia time down South!  :thumb:

bside123

« Reply #3035 on: 19 May 2014, 04:37 pm »
I almost always shoot in RAW and use Lightroom 5 for most of my post processing. If I want to render a photo into B&W, I also use Lightroom's Preset Functions to convert the photo. The other day it occurred to me that I could manually do this myself, in Lightroom, by working with the color saturation adjustments. So, I've been trying a little experiment, and it's been producing fun effects, that I thought I would share. Working manually with the color saturation, etc. opens up a wide variety of customization.

Here are two photos - before & after.

The original image was shot on the street, while I was sitting in front of a café. This gentleman walked out to smoke a cigarette, and I noticed that the iridescent red of his jersey matched the iridescence of the red, overhead strand lighting. I thought that this made for an interesting street photo. IMHO. The second version is after I desaturated the color values 90% (-90) and then bumped the vibrancy 70% (+70).

Two completely different looks of the same scene. Ok... I'll stop now!  :thumb:

Marlboro Red

Marlboro Red Desaturated

Third Version

untitled-19-3.jpg
« Last Edit: 19 May 2014, 06:30 pm by bside123 »

bside123

« Reply #3036 on: 20 May 2014, 10:29 pm »
Mother and Baby Orangutans. This could be a typical human interaction. I've seen it before...

Pull My Finger

Bob2

• De gustibus non est disputandum
« Reply #3037 on: 20 May 2014, 11:20 pm »
bside123,
thanks for posting those pix!

SET Man

« Reply #3038 on: 21 May 2014, 04:20 am »
I almost always shoot in RAW and use Lightroom 5 for most of my post processing. If I want to render a photo into B&W, I also use Lightroom's Preset Functions to convert the photo. The other day it occurred to me that I could manually do this myself, in Lightroom, by working with the color saturation adjustments. So, I've been trying a little experiment, and it's been producing fun effects, that I thought I would share. Working manually with the color saturation, etc. opens up a wide variety of customization.

Hey!

As for shooting, I always shoot RAW. I'm still using LR4 and I have to say that the options fro converting color to B&W is quite mind boggling.

I usually go to HSL to desaturated all color than either B&W or Luminance to adjust each color. Honestly sometime I find the whole thing a bit too much sometime... I keep going back and playing with those slides over and over.  :?

Anyway, nice selective color there.

Take care,

gnuyork

« Reply #3039 on: 21 May 2014, 11:49 am »
Hey!

As for shooting, I always shoot RAW. I'm still using LR4 and I have to say that the options fro converting color to B&W is quite mind boggling.

I usually go to HSL to desaturated all color than either B&W or Luminance to adjust each color. Honestly sometime I find the whole thing a bit too much sometime... I keep going back and playing with those slides over and over.  :?

Anyway, nice selective color there.

Take care,

Same - I use LR4. I do my conversion just by using the Black and White tab and then adjust to taste with curves and sliders. If I am using the Sigma Software, I do my B&W conversions there first, then adjustments in LR. I actually prefer the B&W conversions in the Sigma software. But I do agree, the choices in LR are staggering. I usually do a few different looks before deciding on the final. Sometimes that choice is a difficult decision.