Picture Of The Day

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #2840 on: 12 Apr 2014, 03:17 pm »
Some interesting architecture... a modern, glass house overlooking Phoenix Lake on the outskirts of Dortmund, Germany. No Photoshop was used here. Shot on an overcast day with some scattered sunlight peaking in and out of the jagged clouds. The sky is reflected in the glass. The owners mounted giant masks on the balcony giving the house this eerie effect on another German weather, moody day.

Stellar shot  :thumb:  Looks to be an example of latter day Bauhaus architecture  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bauhaus , as taught & executed by Mies van der Rohe   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_Mies_van_der_Rohe . Interesting stuff if you are into architecture & such.  8)

jjdog2

« Reply #2841 on: 12 Apr 2014, 04:16 pm »
Stellar shot  :thumb:  Looks to be an example of latter day Bauhaus architecture  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bauhaus , as taught & executed by Mies van der Rohe   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_Mies_van_der_Rohe . Interesting stuff if you are into architecture & such.  8)

I agree, nice.

Jim

jjdog2

« Reply #2842 on: 12 Apr 2014, 06:55 pm »

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #2843 on: 12 Apr 2014, 07:57 pm »
^^ Simply awesome.

Maritan

« Reply #2844 on: 12 Apr 2014, 08:30 pm »
jjdog2 - Fantastic shot. To me, the deer in the background makes the shot. Do you have EXIF data? If so, please post it when you get a chance.

PeteG

« Reply #2845 on: 12 Apr 2014, 08:30 pm »
Yes, very nice jjdog.

gnuyork

« Reply #2846 on: 12 Apr 2014, 08:45 pm »
Love me some dogwoods in the Springtime. Pretty, but the pollen...  :cry:

Emil

« Reply #2847 on: 12 Apr 2014, 08:52 pm »
Didnt want to carry around my Nilon D5100 so I picked up this nice Canon G16

charmerci

« Reply #2848 on: 13 Apr 2014, 12:47 am »
Didnt want to carry around my Nilon D5100 so I picked up this nice Canon G16

How 'bout them subs when the volcano "erupts"? Pretty impressive, aren't they?

jjdog2

« Reply #2849 on: 13 Apr 2014, 08:40 pm »
Nice shots all.    :thumb:

john1970

« Reply #2850 on: 13 Apr 2014, 09:13 pm »

jjdog2

« Reply #2851 on: 14 Apr 2014, 01:17 am »
Colorful breast on the Robin shot. 

Bodie Island Light.

« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2014, 02:49 am by jjdog2 »

low.pfile

« Reply #2852 on: 14 Apr 2014, 01:27 am »
nice creamy painterly image jjDog2. care to share your processing application?

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2853 on: 14 Apr 2014, 02:36 am »

This DC-3/C-47 has been documented to have dropped paratroopers in Normandy in the predawn hours of June 6th, 1944.

Three DC-3s rest in this abandoned runway of an old WWII training base.  All were mostly intact until about 10 years ago when a tornado flipped them all over the place.  Now the hulks are stripped of engines and lie rotting away.

bside123

« Reply #2854 on: 14 Apr 2014, 10:09 am »
It's really great to see all of the activity here lately! Lots of contributions from old farm gear, deer, birds, Las Vegas to Dogwood trees and dead airplanes. Keep 'em coming... Sharing our perspectives opens up the world... and probably some new ones as well.

'Brick, those old worn torn and storm torn planes are really interesting. Haunted carcasses. Your photos also caused me to share a couple of shots that I took at the Dortmund Flughafen (Airport) in Dortmund, Germany. The Dortmund Airport is a small to medium sized facility that provides full, international jet service by multiple carriers to destinations all over Europe, as well as to some points in Asia and outstretches of the Mediterranean.

The cool things is that they still have a "Galleria" (gallery), which is an enormous, outdoor balcony on the runway(s) side of the main terminal. People can come up, have a look, watch their loved ones take off and land or just gawk at a multitude of aircraft on the field. You CAN'T get nearly this close to aircraft of this size at ANY U.S. airports, let alone stand this close and watch the birds take off and land. Hear the roar, smell the burning fuel, feel the rumble.

The security standards here in Europe, even when it comes to intercontinental and international flights, are still very manageable and reasonable... and this is Germany. It reminds me just how far we've gone in the direction of fear and paranoia for air travel in the US post 911.

I remember as a kid being able to go to small airports in the midwest and watch planes take off. We were marveled. A lot of things have been lost...

In these images, I am literally standing right behind the aircraft on the 3rd floor balcony of the airport. I could have thrown a rock and hit the tail of the plane. This is an "Easy Jet" commuter flight to London, England. These were shot at about 28mm. 

Easy Jet Rear

Dortmund Airport Gallery

charmerci

« Reply #2855 on: 14 Apr 2014, 04:12 pm »
When I was a kid in the 70's, my dad went up to the gate at National Airport just outside of DC. He said, my son hasn't seen the inside of a plane before, can we go in? She said sure. We walked into the plane (a 737 or 727) when down the aisle and peeked into the open cockpit.

Days llllllooooonnnnnnggggg past!

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2856 on: 14 Apr 2014, 04:32 pm »
Same here.  When I was in high school i drove to Friendship Airport (now BWI) and asked if I could photograph a newly-arrived 747.  They said SURE!, and walked me all around the beast at the gate.  I couldn't believe it!   :thumb:

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2857 on: 14 Apr 2014, 04:34 pm »
Those were back in the days when people didn't suck so bad.  :duh: :lol:

jjdog2

« Reply #2858 on: 14 Apr 2014, 06:21 pm »

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!