Picture Of The Day

SET Man

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #2620 on: 28 Jan 2014, 01:54 am »
Hey!

Well, I see there are a few B&W here lately. So, I will stick to it on my post here.

Here are a few pictures from my recent visit to the Metropolitan Museum of Art late December here in NYC, in B&W...

Metroplitan Museum of Art, NYC by setpower1, on Flickr

Christmas Tree and Neapolitan Baroque Crèche , Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC. by setpower1, on Flickr

"Orpheus" by Cristoforo Stati (Cristofano da Bracciano) Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC. by setpower1, on Flickr

Japanese Buddha Statue in the Japanese Art Gallery, Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC. by setpower1, on Flickr

The Charles Engelhard Court, Metroplitan Museum of Art, NYC by setpower1, on Flickr

Marble Statue Group of the Three Graces : Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC by setpower1, on Flickr

I also got to see exhibition of Julia Margaret Cameron's works, for the third time that day. Before that I've only read and see her works in books and etc. To see many of her works all together at the same place it was a treat for me. Amazing how those prints survived over a century+

Entrance to "Julia Margaret Cameron" Exhibition, Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC. by setpower1, on Flickr

Unfortunately photography was not allow inside the exhibition and as a photographer I have to respect that. Anyway, there are a few more from that day here as a slideshow...

http://www.flickr.com//photos/8309248@N06/show/with/11743419075/

.. end at the pic before the pumpkin :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

PeteG

« Reply #2621 on: 28 Jan 2014, 02:20 am »
Buddy, love the B&W shots. They have a nice film grain look to them.

SET Man

« Reply #2622 on: 28 Jan 2014, 09:47 pm »
Buddy, love the B&W shots. They have a nice film grain look to them.

Hey!

Thanks PeteG  :D And that "...nice film grain look.." you mentioned is actually from a real film!  :lol:

Yes, it is the real McCoy old school B&W film photography. I was there that day with my Minolta XD11 (1977-1984) with Minolta Rokkor 45mm f2 lens and a roll of good old Kodak Tri-X 400, pushed one stop at 800 developed in Kodak D-76. I use Epson V550 scanner... great inexpensive scanner by the way... and Lightroom like I would in a traditional wet darkroom.

I don't make B&W print now so this is kind of analog/digital hybrid.  So, if I have to use the SPARS code like those you see on early CD, these picture would be ADD  :lol:

Personally I still enjoy real B&W film over one converted from color digital file. To me there still nothing like the real B&W film and it is fun to take out my vintage cameras for a walk sometime and see what developed :D

Take care,

bside123

« Reply #2623 on: 28 Jan 2014, 11:11 pm »
Our restaurant and cafe is going through a reorganization and publications campaign. So... this is my first foray into food photography. Food is a lot like high fashion models and best when it is young and fresh. This is a lot of fun, but much more difficult than I expected. We'll be completing two brochures and a cookbook. Enjoy!

untitled-16.jpg by Din Dayemi, on Flickr

untitled-13.jpg by Din Dayemi, on Flickr

untitled-9.jpg by Din Dayemi, on Flickr

untitled-4-5.jpg by Din Dayemi, on Flickr

untitled-4-4.jpg by Din Dayemi, on Flickr

untitled-9-3.jpg by Din Dayemi, on Flickr

untitled-9-2.jpg by Din Dayemi, on Flickr

untitled-4-2.jpg by Din Dayemi, on Flickr

untitled-20.jpg by Din Dayemi, on Flickr

untitled-8-3.jpg by Din Dayemi, on Flickr

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2624 on: 28 Jan 2014, 11:36 pm »
GREAT STUFF!  :thumb: Beautiful lighting and composition!  Where is this place?  Discount for GAS members?   

bside123

« Reply #2625 on: 28 Jan 2014, 11:47 pm »
GREAT STUFF!  :thumb: Beautiful lighting and composition!  Where is this place?  Discount for GAS members?

Thanks 'Brick. The Longbranch Café & Bakery (formerly The Longbranch Coffeehouse), Carbondale, IL. And yes... discounts to GAS members all around. We can even combine a meal with an audio get-together. Kinda of a audiophile "Surf & Turf." Just let me know when you're coming down... about 2 hours from downtown St. Louis.

SET Man

« Reply #2626 on: 29 Jan 2014, 12:01 am »
Our restaurant and cafe is going through a reorganization and publications campaign. So... this is my first foray into food photography. Food is a lot like high fashion models and best when it is young and fresh. This is a lot of fun, but much more difficult than I expected. We'll be completing two brochures and a cookbook. Enjoy!

Hey!

Nice works there bside123.  :D

Mmmm.... cupcake  :P

Take care,
« Last Edit: 29 Jan 2014, 01:17 am by SET Man »

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2627 on: 29 Jan 2014, 12:38 am »

I also got to see exhibition of Julia Margaret Cameron's works, for the third time that day. Before that I've only read and see her works in books and etc. To see many of her works all together at the same place it was a treat for me. Amazing how those prints survived over a century+

Entrance to "Julia Margaret Cameron" Exhibition, Metropolitan Museum of Art, NYC. by setpower1, on Flickr

I like this the best - a haunting image.

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2628 on: 29 Jan 2014, 12:49 am »

I get the impression that food photography is very difficult, often requiring maximum depths of field. I like most of these, but I find the cupcake ones a little busy. Did you try closing in on a single cupcake?
I am reminded of what I read about the challenge of photographing models of spacecraft to make them appear huge. What was needed was extreme depth of field which required, amongst other things, unusually small apertures, neutral filters and long exposures so the entire model, front to back, was in sharp focus.

bside123

« Reply #2629 on: 29 Jan 2014, 04:30 am »
I get the impression that food photography is very difficult, often requiring maximum depths of field. I like most of these, but I find the cupcake ones a little busy. Did you try closing in on a single cupcake? I am reminded of what I read about the challenge of photographing models of spacecraft to make them appear huge. What was needed was extreme depth of field which required, amongst other things, unusually small apertures, neutral filters and long exposures so the entire model, front to back, was in sharp focus.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yea.. we played with a lot of variables and approaches. Ironically, the creative director wanted the exact opposite of what you're mentioning. She requested a very minimum depth of field, wide apertures, with only the foremost food item in focus and the rest out of focus and lost in the bokeh.

Over two sessions so far, I've taken dozens of shots of food items in many combinations - singles, doubles, alone, with other items... you name it. I only posted a few recents images. Yes, very difficult indeed. Back to the drawing board as many more photo sessions await me. Oh... and then the graphics department may just use part of a photo and inevitably mess with cropping and photo editing in post production!

jhm731

« Reply #2630 on: 29 Jan 2014, 04:41 am »

Guy 13

« Reply #2631 on: 29 Jan 2014, 07:04 am »
Hi all Audio Circle members.
I love to look at " Picture of the day " it's always filled to the rim
with lots of nice pictures and it as lots of different type of pictures.
I wish I would also have ice picture to post here.
For now, I only have this one...

Guy 13

SET Man

« Reply #2632 on: 29 Jan 2014, 10:23 pm »
I get the impression that food photography is very difficult, often requiring maximum depths of field. I like most of these, but I find the cupcake ones a little busy. Did you try closing in on a single cupcake?
I am reminded of what I read about the challenge of photographing models of spacecraft to make them appear huge. What was needed was extreme depth of field which required, amongst other things, unusually small apertures, neutral filters and long exposures so the entire model, front to back, was in sharp focus.

Thanks for the suggestions. Yea.. we played with a lot of variables and approaches. Ironically, the creative director wanted the exact opposite of what you're mentioning. She requested a very minimum depth of field, wide apertures, with only the foremost food item in focus and the rest out of focus and lost in the bokeh.

Over two sessions so far, I've taken dozens of shots of food items in many combinations - singles, doubles, alone, with other items... you name it. I only posted a few recents images. Yes, very difficult indeed. Back to the drawing board as many more photo sessions await me. Oh... and then the graphics department may just use part of a photo and inevitably mess with cropping and photo editing in post production!

Hey!

Well, that depend on the food and setting. But most of the time shallow depth of field is more desire to make the food "pop", the pic of burger is a good example. I find that when shooting from the top a more depth of field work well. For the cupcake I would go closer and fill up the frame with those behind on the angle and out of focus.

Also, a bit longer lens like 85mm f1.4 and 100mm f2.8 macro are very useful of you have room to work with. Anyway, I'm not a pro food photographer and that's just my $0.02  :D

Take care,

SET Man

« Reply #2633 on: 29 Jan 2014, 10:36 pm »
I like this the best - a haunting image.

Hey!

Russell, that's one of her most famous photograph. She is credited for starting a this type of closer more intimate portrait look.

It was an incredible exhibition for me. And I'm amazed of how those photos survived all these years. That's one thing I like about living in NYC, with so many great world class museums around, perfect for arts lover and especially photography like myself.

Here's a link to The Met Museum about Julia Margaret Cameron exhibition...

http://www.metmuseum.org/en/exhibitions/listings/2013/julia-margaret-cameron

To see those prints right in front of you it was quite amazing.

Take care,

bside123

« Reply #2634 on: 29 Jan 2014, 11:33 pm »
Okay... try this!

ISO 400, 75mm Macro, 1/640 sec, f/2.8

Valentine's Chocolate Cupcake by Din Dayemi, on Flickr

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2635 on: 30 Jan 2014, 12:47 am »
I was thinking more along the lines of a single cupcake displayed on a red satin cushion, perhaps with a candle somewhere, or a red rose–for Valentines. I mean, that is a heart!

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #2636 on: 30 Jan 2014, 06:48 am »
Here's an experiment with bokeh from a few weeks ago when the tree was still up:

taken with a Ricoh GR (1/10th sec, f 2.8, ISO400 - camera sitting on table)

I am having trouble posting it large, so here's a link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/46927455@N05/12213566645/lightbox/

low.pfile

« Reply #2637 on: 30 Jan 2014, 08:51 am »
bside123,

I think your first attempt at food photography went great. there is a lot to consider for this type of photography. I am not a pro photographer but take a lot of pics, and had a short stint at blogging my own food creations, before everyone started taking photos with their smart phones of everything that went into their mouth.

I understand your art directors desire for shallow depth of field / specific point focus, as that has been the trend for a while now. Deep depth of field /everything in focus, focus stacking processing, is for super detailed small objects.

In general your lighting is good based on the shots above. My constructive input is to work on your composition/layout. I think you have a nice setting and good props to shoot with. It is a matter of arranging things to make the image interesting, balanced (even if asymmetrical) and the food desirable. There is no technology that can help with this, it is just a matter of constantly looking and reviewing at the frame for each shot. look at the negative shapes that the background creates, what is in each corner--any weird alignments of elements, odd shadows or patterns? Sure Photoshop can be used to edit some things out but it ideal to get most of it right in the camera.

Examples: in your cupcake pic "untitled-9" behind the last cupcake is a dark horizontal rectangle. that is about the same color as the chocolate hearts--distracting. that type of shape is visible in the composing frame and you can rearrange your setup to prevent it. For the tofu stirfry, untitled-9-3 has odd lighting falloff on the teacup in the background.  On the salad with nuts pic, untitled-20.jpg, the corner of the square plate touches the round salad plate, doesn't really add anything to the image, and the last cupcake photo has a blown out highlights in the top right, due to over'exposure. Are you using  blockers or diffusers to control the light? It looks like mostly natural light so you don't have full control but grab someone to assist to hold the diffusers, etc.

Another recommendation is to shoot slightly wider than you think you will need. This will allow the designers to crop out what they don't want--just wider by composition, not focal length. And you have lots of pixels in your Sony sensor so you wont be lowering the resolution enough to matter for print, unless you are doing highway billboard size prints. Your burger photo is an example. though the top wooden pick with color is cropped off…it may have been desired for the layout. but you can't add it back in. Let them crop it down.  Which leads me to working with the designer/director…are they at the shoot with you? I highly recommend that they do participate at least once.

Composition comes naturally to a few but usually takes years to attain through practice/training/school (my story). So if you have time before your deadline check out creativelive.com they have a wide variety of live training photography tutorials. They used to be free when they are being webcast live, but then require a purchase after the event. I've watched a few of these and remember seeing ads for food themed training. If you don't have much time learn from the pros another way, hit the bookstore or library and look at the glossy photo filled cookbooks and magazines such as saveur, bon appetit and food and wine looking specifically at the compositions and angles.

Try some shots at full 2.8 or lower if possible, depending on your lens choice.  you might need to use a tripod if you aren't already, that way you can get your ISO a little lower than 400, without having a long exposure

My shots are not great, and just for my first blog, so setup was minimal, and were taken shooting handheld, with natural light with a white sheet over home windows or white reflector boards held up with oatmeal boxes, bouncing the room lamps, and usually shot at night right after I finished cooking it, but before it cools off to eat it. I had to do this solo, so I can appreciate having an assistant--got any kids, or bored relative?  ;)

Good luck and have fun, your photos will work out great.

cheers,
ed

thunderbrick

• Facilitator
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #2638 on: 3 Feb 2014, 02:59 am »
Back on the Mississippi River north of St Louis today.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #2639 on: 8 Feb 2014, 04:50 pm »
I walked outside last night and saw this when I looked up. I thought it deserved a photo - cool effect.