Picture Of The Day

Jon L

Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #2380 on: 20 Sep 2013, 02:52 am »
Wow, I can't believe it, but DxO FilmPack 3 is offered for free download.  I just downloaded it, activated it, and yes it's free and works.  It's very similar to the wonderful Nik ColorEfex Pro which I also have.  Get it before the offer ends :)

http://www.dxo.com/intl/sony

bside123

« Reply #2381 on: 20 Sep 2013, 03:30 am »

Wow, I can't believe it, but DxO FilmPack 3 is offered for free download.  I just downloaded it, activated it, and yes it's free and works.  It's very similar to the wonderful Nik ColorEfex Pro which I also have.  Get it before the offer ends :)

Yup, once speedlites/strobes get involved, artistic possibilities (and foibles) expand exponentially.
Your photo looks interesting with subject motion frozen by flash and background dark, and it also demonstrates some of the difficulties flash photography can present if a different look was desired, e.g. if one wanted the room and people in background to be seen more and possibly more even spread of light from head to legs of multiple mains subject in front, especially if softer lighting was desired. 

This is when we end up buying multiple speedlites and various light modifiers, then wireless triggers, etc..

Hi Jon:

Thanks for both of your comments on the flash as well as the DxO FilmPack 3. It looks to be a long road ahead for learning flash photography, but I think I can see the light... (bad pun). I downloaded the FilmPack. Pretty interesting. Here's a hand held shot using Kodak Tri-X, which I used to push in low light situations such as these... back in the day.  :thumb:

Jon L

« Reply #2382 on: 20 Sep 2013, 03:57 am »
Playing a little with DxO FilmPack, I was surprised how it packs both color and B&W films, and I was happy to find "strength" slider to vary the degree of particular film effect, which Nik ColorEfex surprisingly lacks.  It's a little odd, but DxO also lets you select one film for "tone" and a different film for "film grain"; gotta play with that some more.  Anyway, using the Kodak infrared film simulation..

EOSD4847d by drjlo1, on Flickr

PeteG

« Reply #2383 on: 20 Sep 2013, 11:08 am »

Thanks Jon.

Don_S

Re: Yellowstone National Park
« Reply #2384 on: 20 Sep 2013, 03:29 pm »
Russell,

Thanks for the tips.  I found the adapter.  It was connected to the lens hood which I never use so I forgot I had the adapter. I do not use the hood because it connects with a very sloppy 1/4 turn bayonet. Tends to fall off at the most inopportune times. The adapter is required to use the hood so they kind of got paired and forgotten.

Amazon has 58mm polarizers: Tiffen $13, Agfa $10, Zeikos $9    Think I would opt for the Tiffen.  Sony manual does not specify the filter size. I will measure the lens and verify before I order.  I won't be needing it in the near future so I will just add it to a CD order.

I will try Photobucket.  If I use it can I download photos to my iPad and save them there?  I would like to show some photos to my mom but she does not have an internet connection.  Therefore they need to be stored on my iPad.

Won't a standard 58mm polarizing filter work? They're only about $13 at B&H. DP Review says this on page two of their review of this camera:
"Sony supplies a lens adaptor ring (which allows the use of 58mm filters and tele/wide adaptors) and a bayonet lens hood in the box with the H5."

Those are wonderful photos, by the way, and if you want to display them bigger, follow this advice given to me by another member of AC:
"I joined an outside web service for photogs called "Photobucket." It's free. I first post my photos to photo bucket. Then I control the size and rez to my liking, and then I paste the IMG link into the AC reply box. The AC server accesses my photo from Photobucket NOT from the AC Gallery."

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2385 on: 20 Sep 2013, 04:15 pm »

bside123

« Reply #2386 on: 20 Sep 2013, 04:45 pm »
Still working with my new flash. I can't quite figure out how to sync the flash at speeds higher than 1/250 sec. I need to understand the manual mode settings better. I like to shoot at higher speeds for stop action and greater depth of field. Nonetheless, this is a nice, soft flash image.

It might be overcast and rainy today, but I still gotta eat! I'd better figure out what to do... 'cause I can't just sit here and wait.

Rainy Day Hummingbird by din_dayemi, on Flickr

Russell Dawkins

Re: Yellowstone National Park
« Reply #2387 on: 20 Sep 2013, 06:15 pm »
I will try Photobucket.  If I use it can I download photos to my iPad and save them there?  I would like to show some photos to my mom but she does not have an internet connection.  Therefore they need to be stored on my iPad.

Hold the phone - I just got a PM update from the member who recommended Photobucket to me. The core of it is this:

"I'm switching over to Flickr from Photobucket for photo storage and sharing. It is also free and noticed that the image quality is so much better. You even share photos at selected rez, up to full rez, levels. I kept noticing such image degradation from Photobucket. Flickr is managed by Yahoo, and it's quite impressive."

Brad

« Reply #2388 on: 20 Sep 2013, 06:42 pm »

This is from my recent driving trip out west.  Caught some nice light hitting Shiprock on the way to Monument Valley

mikeeastman

« Reply #2389 on: 20 Sep 2013, 08:08 pm »
Collard Doves feeding in my yard

SET Man

« Reply #2390 on: 21 Sep 2013, 03:24 am »
Still working with my new flash. I can't quite figure out how to sync the flash at speeds higher than 1/250 sec. I need to understand the manual mode settings better. I like to shoot at higher speeds for stop action and greater depth of field. Nonetheless, this is a nice, soft flash image.

Hey!

Nice pic of that little guy there. :D

Anyway, if I remembered correctly you are using Sony DSLR... or should I say SLT right? Not sure what flash you have but with Sony with higher shutter speed the "HSS" will show up on the back screen and on the flash LCD once you go up beyond the normal sync speed. The catch is that this will only work with the flash head at the normal position straight ahead, I think.

I don't use high speed sync much, actually I don't remember the last time I used it. I tend to use slower speed with rear curtain sync more "rear sync" to get more of the ambient light in. Well, this is all depend of the mood you want of course so there is no right or wrong way on this.

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

bside123

« Reply #2391 on: 21 Sep 2013, 06:18 pm »
Thanks for your thoughts, Buddy! In the meantime, here's a non-flash shot.

Rifles Square in Dhammondi
Dhaka City, Bangladesh

DJuice by Din Dayemi, on Flickr

bside123

« Reply #2392 on: 21 Sep 2013, 06:29 pm »
The photo was caught perched atop a rickshaw in the streets of Dhaka City, Bangladesh.

Beggar Woman by Din Dayemi, on Flickr

stlrman

« Reply #2393 on: 21 Sep 2013, 10:38 pm »
Wow!! Bside!
What camera and lenses do you shoot with? Loved your Set from Turkey on Flickr as well.

Guy 13

« Reply #2394 on: 22 Sep 2013, 02:56 am »

Hi all Audio Circle members.
For me and maybe for other photographers (Amateur and/or professional) the lighting, the pose, the exposure, the moment, the context are 75%+ of a successful picture.
I took very nice picture with point and shoot camera.
Of course some DSLR have sharper lenses, better autofocus and exposure meter, but first practice with an entry level camera.
Today most of the camera can give very sharp pictures.
To me, most important is the moment and the framing of the subject.
I started with a Kodak Instamatic 104 - 35mm many 35mm, as many medium format cameras up to a Cambo 4X5” large format view camera.
Which one takes the sharpest and nicest pictures ? ? ?
None, it the guy behind the camera that compose and then trip the shutter.
It a guy with 50 years of photographic experience talking.
Any of you agree with me.
By the way, with our 15 years+ professional photographic import/distribution and retail business here in Vietnam
I am in contact and can use/try Phase One medium format camera with back up to 80mpix+ and large format cameras.
I think I know what I am talking about, I think.

Guy 13

bside123

« Reply #2395 on: 22 Sep 2013, 04:24 pm »
Wow!! Bside!
What camera and lenses do you shoot with? Loved your Set from Turkey on Flickr as well.

Thanks Stirman. My main camera is the Sony A-77. I use the Sony 16-50mm, 2.8 lens for most walk-around stuff. It's quite good. Otherwise, I have a cache of Minolta lenses that all fit the Sony mount, which are also quite good.
Pocket camera is a Canon G-11, and as a versatile "point & shoot," I get great results.

Hi all Audio Circle members.
For me and maybe for other photographers (Amateur and/or professional) the lighting, the pose, the exposure, the moment, the context are 75%+ of a successful picture.
I took very nice picture with point and shoot camera.
Of course some DSLR have sharper lenses, better autofocus and exposure meter, but first practice with an entry level camera.
Today most of the camera can give very sharp pictures.
To me, most important is the moment and the framing of the subject.
I started with a Kodak Instamatic 104 - 35mm many 35mm, as many medium format cameras up to a Cambo 4X5” large format view camera.
Which one takes the sharpest and nicest pictures ? ? ?
None, it the guy behind the camera that compose and then trip the shutter.
It a guy with 50 years of photographic experience talking.
Any of you agree with me.
By the way, with our 15 years+ professional photographic import/distribution and retail business here in Vietnam
I am in contact and can use/try Phase One medium format camera with back up to 80mpix+ and large format cameras.
I think I know what I am talking about, I think.

Guy 13

Hi Guy (and all AudioCircle Members),
I agree with much of what you are saying, as I taught my cameras everything they know!  :thumb:

Best regards.

Early B.

« Reply #2396 on: 22 Sep 2013, 06:13 pm »
A pic I took last year...

bside123

« Reply #2397 on: 22 Sep 2013, 06:15 pm »
Surprised you're still alive!  :o

A pic I took last year...

SET Man

« Reply #2398 on: 22 Sep 2013, 11:14 pm »
Thanks Stirman. My main camera is the Sony A-77. I use the Sony 16-50mm, 2.8 lens for most walk-around stuff. It's quite good. Otherwise, I have a cache of Minolta lenses that all fit the Sony mount, which are also quite good.
Pocket camera is a Canon G-11, and as a versatile "point & shoot," I get great results.

Hey!

Hmmmm... interesting. I'm a long time A-mount user here also, started out with the 7xi. Like you I do have some Minolta's primes, zoom and A-mount Tokina zooms. Currently I'm using A700.

BTW... don't knock on those old Minolta AF primes and some zooms lenses. They are excellent. Minolta made their own glass from scratch. And they are very consistence when is come to color balance across the range of their lenses, especially their primes and G line. And a little FYI... in the '70s Minolta was joint venture with Leica and both shared lenses and camera technology between the two. So, if you are using early Leica R series SLR, than you are using Minolta's SLR technology and some of the Leica SLR zooms and etc were made by Minolta... a good example would be the 70-210mm f4 zoom, of which there are one for Leica and one for Minolta version. I've seen people call Minolta's lenses a "poor man's Leica"

Sadly, Minolta changed the mount when they made the AF camera, because there are lots of excellent Minolta MF lenses out there.

Anyway, good to see other A-mount user here.... a rare thing for me. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

bside123

« Reply #2399 on: 22 Sep 2013, 11:19 pm »
Right... this is my experience. I am getting excellent results from them. In Minolta glass, I have 3 primes & 1 telephoto lens, in addition to the Sony Lens.

BTW... don't knock on those old Minolta AF primes and some zooms lenses. They are excellent.