Re: Picture Of The Day
« Reply #2220 on: 30 Jul 2013, 06:59 pm »
Well, he won't win a beauty award  :o

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #2221 on: 30 Jul 2013, 08:46 pm »
Neat moth! It's been a few years since I've seen one. Very rare indeed.

I shot this one today. I'd like to hear your thoughts.
B&W was my goal, but I'm not at home and only have access to the Photobucket 'effects page', and I can't find the B&W button.

JakeJ

« Reply #2222 on: 31 Jul 2013, 01:52 am »
Gobble, gobble, bay-bee!

Awesome shots of the Luna Moth too!

SET Man

« Reply #2223 on: 31 Jul 2013, 04:11 am »
Morning shots from yesterday.

Hey!

The first one is very nice indeed. The beauty of nature :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

SET Man

« Reply #2224 on: 31 Jul 2013, 04:27 am »
no I would go even bigger like 1200 or 1400 - more detail, you are zooming in  for a reason :) And assuming folks don't repost a repost of a large photo it should not be too much for browsers.

I wholeheartedly agree!

If you're going to post great pics like that (Flat Iron bldg), then gimme all ya got! :thumb:

Gene

Hey!

Thanks guys. The thing is that I prefer my photos to view as a whole on screen. I want to post so it would be large enough to fill the space without you having to move side/bottom bars to see the entire photos. I feel that it is a better way to view a photo than seeing part of it at a time. :D

SET Man,

Great pic of the "Flatiron Building".  Is that the building they like to show in the TV series "White Collar"?

Thanks, but I've never watch the "White Collar" so I have no idea which building they showed on that show.  :scratch:

Well, keep on shooting pictures guys.  :D

Take care,

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #2225 on: 31 Jul 2013, 01:32 pm »
The thing is that I prefer my photos to view as a whole on screen. I want to post so it would be large enough to fill the space without you having to move side/bottom bars to see the entire photos. I feel that it is a better way to view a photo than seeing part of it at a time. :D
I agree 100%, but that's going to depend on the size of the monitor you're viewing it on. At work, I have a 4:3 15" so I can't see much without scrolling. At home, I've got a 16:9 20", and can see quite a bit.

Bob

bside123

« Reply #2226 on: 31 Jul 2013, 05:17 pm »
A new guest has joined us in our flower garden this morning. Although I just posted some farms pics yesterday, I couldn't resist sharing these photos. These pics were VERY hard to take, as this sucker was moving fast... This creature is called a "Snowberry Clearwing Hummingbird Moth." It is about 2" long and has quite a substantial body. It is actually an insect that looks like a cross between a very large Bumble Bee and a small Hummingbird. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemaris_diffinis  It's a bit overcast, so in order to get plenty of light and to be able to shoot fast, I set the camera to ISO 640, 1/1000 sec, f/3.5 - 50mm Macro, Prime lens. Gotta sit down... I'm dizzy chasing this thing!  :roll:

bside123

« Reply #2227 on: 31 Jul 2013, 05:22 pm »
Thanks for posting your photo, Bob. The epitaph is quite provocative. Wonder what the history is around it - context? I think you're right. It'd be more striking in black & white. Looks like you're also using a vignette effect. Going for an antique look?

Neat moth! It's been a few years since I've seen one. Very rare indeed.

I shot this one today. I'd like to hear your thoughts.
B&W was my goal, but I'm not at home and only have access to the Photobucket 'effects page', and I can't find the B&W button.

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #2228 on: 31 Jul 2013, 05:40 pm »
Love the gravestone.  When postprocessing, why don't you try different color filters in addition to B/W?

We get the same Hummingbird Moth in our gardens.  Really appreciate the effort to get those great pictures!! :thumb:

Regards,

Randy

Jon L

« Reply #2229 on: 31 Jul 2013, 08:24 pm »
Jello Eyes

EOSD4288a by drjlo1, on Flickr

Don_S

« Reply #2230 on: 31 Jul 2013, 08:55 pm »
SET Man,

In "White Collar" they like to shoot the building from a long way off.  Details are lost but the end shown is a wedge that runs sidewalk to sidewalk. No buildings on either side, just street.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #2231 on: 31 Jul 2013, 09:32 pm »
Thanks for posting your photo, Bob. The epitaph is quite provocative. Wonder what the history is around it - context? I think you're right. It'd be more striking in black & white. Looks like you're also using a vignette effect. Going for an antique look?
You're welcome!
The context....The gravesite site in an early 19th century Baptist Church in Cades Coves Tennessee, which is part of "The Great Smokey Mountain National Park". Other than that, I have no other context. Plenty more photos though, if you're interested.

I did use a bit of a vignette, just to tone down the bright green grass bordering the stone. Since I couldn't find the B&W button on Photobucket, I figured that was the best I could do, at the time.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #2232 on: 1 Aug 2013, 12:23 am »
You're welcome!
The context....The gravesite site in an early 19th century Baptist Church in Cades Coves Tennessee, which is part of "The Great Smokey Mountain National Park". Other than that, I have no other context. Plenty more photos though, if you're interested.

I did use a bit of a vignette, just to tone down the bright green grass bordering the stone. Since I couldn't find the B&W button on Photobucket, I figured that was the best I could do, at the time.

I wonder when the grave marker was placed - obviously after her death.

jqp

• Volunteer
  • Each CD lovingly placed in the nOrh CD-1
« Reply #2233 on: 1 Aug 2013, 12:26 am »
A new guest has joined us in our flower garden this morning. Although I just posted some farms pics yesterday, I couldn't resist sharing these photos. These pics were VERY hard to take, as this sucker was moving fast... This creature is called a "Snowberry Clearwing Hummingbird Moth." It is about 2" long and has quite a substantial body. It is actually an insect that looks like a cross between a very large Bumble Bee and a small Hummingbird. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemaris_diffinis  It's a bit overcast, so in order to get plenty of light and to be able to shoot fast, I set the camera to ISO 640, 1/1000 sec, f/3.5 - 50mm Macro, Prime lens. Gotta sit down... I'm dizzy chasing this thing!  :roll:

Love it! I need to post some of my insects. We rarely see them up close the way the camera can.

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
« Reply #2234 on: 1 Aug 2013, 01:11 am »
One more?

SET Man

« Reply #2235 on: 1 Aug 2013, 03:40 am »
I agree 100%, but that's going to depend on the size of the monitor you're viewing it on. At work, I have a 4:3 15" so I can't see much without scrolling. At home, I've got a 16:9 20", and can see quite a bit.

Bob

Hey!

Yes, I've thought about that. Posting at 640 would fit all, even with older 4:3 screen. But I think most people today are using 16:9 wide screen with resolution high of 1024x768+ So, I think posting at 800 should fill it just fine on the post here.

Of course I get around with those large photos with the right click to see it as a whole. :D

Take care,

SET Man

« Reply #2236 on: 1 Aug 2013, 04:56 am »
SET Man,

In "White Collar" they like to shoot the building from a long way off.  Details are lost but the end shown is a wedge that runs sidewalk to sidewalk. No buildings on either side, just street.

Hey!

Hmmm.... I don't know since I've never watch the show. But the series is film in NYC so it is possible they would show some iconic buildings around NYC. Funny I put "White Collar building" in Google and found this....

http://www.whitecollarlexicon.com/fbi_headquarters.html

Anyway, here's a photo of the Flatiron Building in full....

"Flatiron Building" by setpower1, on Flickr

I took this last year on top of the Empire State building observation deck.

Talking about the Flatiron in photography. The building have been a subject for photographers over the years, including the old Masters of photography in the early part of last Century like famous one by Edward Steichen of which is a beautiful early photos of this building :D

Take care,

« Last Edit: 2 Aug 2013, 04:40 am by SET Man »

JakeJ

« Reply #2237 on: 2 Aug 2013, 04:24 am »
That is one cool photo SET Man!  You captured the building, a piece of the city and a small slice of the life around it (OK it's kinda hard to see the people but you get my drift).  Really nice photo.

bside123

« Reply #2238 on: 2 Aug 2013, 07:55 pm »
A Built-in Drinking Straw for Sipping Nectar

Betcha' this flower is having a great time! :thumb:

North Star

• "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison
« Reply #2239 on: 3 Aug 2013, 12:58 am »