Salkstream III; getting frustrated....

Saturn94

Salkstream III; getting frustrated....
« on: 24 Jun 2016, 12:26 am »
I'm having trouble figuring out how the Salkstream III is handling tags, particularly "genre".  For reference I've tried Roon and MPad....the behavior I'm seeing is the same in both.

For some reason if I select a genre to play, say Easy Listening, it will play songs from other genres as well (classical, pop/rock, etc).  It's as if it's ignoring the genre tag in the song and just playing whatever it wants.

My Logitech Touch/LMS system controled with iPeng doesn't behave this way.  If I tell it to play Easy Listening, it will only play songs tagged easy listening.

I thought maybe it has something to do with the fact that some albums contain songs tagged with different genres, but then the Salkplayer with Roon or MPad will also throw in albums that do not contain any songs from the selected genre.

I must admit my experience so far with the Salkstream is getting frustrating (can't get AirPlay to work either; hopefully Jim can fix).  The learning curve seems pretty steep (at least to me; perhaps I'm just impatient), much steeper than my Logitech Touch/LMS/iPeng setup ever was.   :(

Anyone using the Salkstream III, I'd greatly appreciate any help you can offer.

jsalk

• Facilitator
    • Salk Signature Sound
Re: Salkstream III; getting frustrated....
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jun 2016, 04:14 pm »
Chances are pretty good that I can address any issues you may have more quickly than posting here (although you are certainly welcome to do so).  Feel free to contact me directly at any time (that is what I'm here for).  Both of these are fairly simple.

I sent an email today on how to direct the Airplay output to your toslink rather than the standard default USB port.  That should address that issue.

As for using your tags to determine what files qualify for Easy Listening, go to the Roon "Settings" menu and under the "General" tab, turn "Show Roon Genres" off and turn "Show Genres from File Tags" on.  That should cause Roon to rely on your music tag data to determine what qualifies for a given genre.  That should work for you.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2016, 10:49 pm »
Chances are pretty good that I can address any issues you may have more quickly than posting here (although you are certainly welcome to do so).  Feel free to contact me directly at any time (that is what I'm here for).  Both of these are fairly simple.

I sent an email today on how to direct the Airplay output to your toslink rather than the standard default USB port.  That should address that issue.

As for using your tags to determine what files qualify for Easy Listening, go to the Roon "Settings" menu and under the "General" tab, turn "Show Roon Genres" off and turn "Show Genres from File Tags" on.  That should cause Roon to rely on your music tag data to determine what qualifies for a given genre.  That should work for you.

- Jim

Thank you for the response.  As you can tell I get easily frustrated with technology.

I got your email and loaded the files.  AirPlay is working now.

I'm still having an issue with genres though.  I'll send you an email.

Again, thank you for all the help.

For those reading this thread, while I've been frustrated getting Roon and the player to do what I want, Jim's support has been outstanding.  :thumb:

Saturn94

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2016, 11:51 pm »
If anyone is interested, I posted on the Roon forum about my confusion and frustration relating to the handling of genres.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/why-is-roon-ignoring-my-song-genre-tags/12185

I'm happy to say support there has been excellent.

Hopefully between Jim's and Roon's excellent support, I'll get up to speed on using Roon.

I'll also say that my Roon issues aside, the player itself has been great; very quick, responsive, and reliable.