How to quiet a mechanically noisy DVD player...

bubba966

« on: 15 Feb 2003, 01:09 am »
I was going to ask if any of you guys had an idea to further quiet my Pioneer DV-333. I'd already covered the inside of the lid with 2 layers of Dynamat Extreme last year. But it was still noisy enough during quiet parts of movies that it still drove me nuts.

But today I fixed the problem in a different manner. I bought an Elite DV-38A for 1/4th the MSRP. How can you say no to such a well built beast for $500? :lol:

Upon hook up & a quick noise test I'd like to say that I'm happy with the 38A's mechanical noise level. I'm also happy I can turn off the front display, something that wasn't possible with the DV-333 that I'd gotten used to on my DVL-91.

Not to mention it looks a hell of a lot nicer than my DV-333. :mrgreen: And it perfectly matches my VSX-39TX...

Woodsea

« Reply #1 on: 15 Feb 2003, 01:37 am »
Did you get this new, or refurbished?  
Looks like a nice unit...how does it sound for cd's as well as DVD-audio?

bubba966

« Reply #2 on: 15 Feb 2003, 02:11 am »
I bought it from Magnolia Hi-Fi as a demo/open box unit. So I've got the full 2 year manufacturers warranty. And they actually had the box and everything else with it as well.

I figured I couldn't pass it up at $500. When I see one on Audiogon they seem to always sell for $800 used or about the same refurbed. Get no warranty used, and only 90 days refurbed.

How's it for CD & DVD-A? Don't know. And actually don't care much about either use. I just wanted a solid 480i DVDP. Had thought about the DV-38A, DV-09, & DV-AX10. The AX10 woulda been the winner if it didn't cost $2,500-$3,000 for a used/refurbed unit. I really liked the 09, but I'd have to get the firmware updated as they're old enough to have compatibility problems with certain DVD's. The 09's seem to sell for around $600. The 09 was very slow on opening/closing the drawer. Scan times were slow as well. Those & the firmware problem were what I didn't like on the 09 I'd borrowed for a few months.

I think the 38A will suit me well (until I get a hold of an AX10... :mrgreen: ). Will have to put it through it's paces a bit more in the next few days.