Looking for Turntable Recommendations

brooklyn

Looking for Turntable Recommendations
« on: 14 Feb 2020, 07:01 am »
Hi everyone,

I’ve recently gotten back into 2 channel audio and having a blast. I’m thinking of getting a turntable again (my buddy says I’m crazy) to play some albums that belonged to my wife’s parents. The music would be of my Italian heritage that I haven’t heard in years.. I would probably collect some new vinyl going forward..

My last vinyl rig was a VPI Scout with an Ortofon 2M Black Cartridge. I’m not looking to approach that level from a new rig but I’m looking for something under 1k whither it be used or new in my price range.

My preferences are a belt drive manual table with a premounted cartridge for that plug and play ready to go table with a hinged dust cover. I do have the necessary tools to mount a cartridge if need be.

I’ve been looking at vinyl rigs like the Rega P2 or a Pro-Ject X1.. I never owned a turntable from either one of those companies so I’m not sure what to expect. I guess what I’m looking for is recommendations for a turntable around my target price that forum members are happy with.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Looking for Turntable Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 14 Feb 2020, 03:51 pm »
  For that budget look at Music Hall. Always an over achiever.

charles

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #2 on: 14 Feb 2020, 04:58 pm »
Aren't Music Hall tables rebadged Pro-Jects?  I've owned both Rega and Pro-Ject tables and would pick Rega as the superior table, with caveats.  The P2 has absolutely no adjustability, not even anti skate, which is fine if you stick with the supplied Carbon cartridge, a rebadged AT91.  The Pro-Ject has rudimentary VTA and anti skate adjustments, but inferior bearings in both platter and tonearm.  An aquaintance from here on AC traded in his $1,500 VPI Traveler for a $700 Pioneer PLX1000 direct drive and never looked back.  The Fluance RT85 has received good reviews.  Both of these tables are made by Hanpin, which used to only make very low end junk, but has improved their offerings lately.

dB Cooper

« Reply #3 on: 14 Feb 2020, 05:32 pm »
The Orbit is another well regarded low cost TT.

rlee8394

« Reply #4 on: 14 Feb 2020, 05:47 pm »
Depending on your time frame, the new Schiit Sol should be released fairly soon from what I understand.

https://www.schiit.com/products/sol

-Ron

wushuliu

« Reply #5 on: 14 Feb 2020, 05:50 pm »
Both of these tables are made by Hanpin, which used to only make very low end junk, but has improved their offerings lately.

Just a minor correction: the Fluance tables are made by 'Ya Horng' not Hanpin. They are the OEM for a bunch of other tables. But I agree that these companies have improved over the years.

As for recommendations: The thing that bothers me about Rega is that all their models below the RP6 can run fast. Since their higher end models do not run fast and have tight tolerances that says to me they'd rather use a cheaper motor and let their fanbase make excuses for it. If Fluance can do it, no reason Rega can't.

brooklyn

« Reply #6 on: 14 Feb 2020, 06:21 pm »
Thank you for all the replies..

I know my price point for a turntable is not that much. Over the years I’ve learned that a better quality table equals better sound, that would mean raising my target price.. I thought 1K would get me something decent but after looking at the replies I see some sacrifices will have to be made if I’m going to stay within my price point..

I looked at a video of the new Schiit Table and realized it wasn’t for me. There were too many adjustments, it gave me a headache just watching it being set up.

The Pioneer has way too many gadgets on it for me, I like no frills..

I remember many years ago, I was in an Audio Salon in Kansas City and the sales person was demonstrating a Music Hall table.. it turned out to have a bad hum. That demo caused me to shy away from them for years.. I’m sure things have gotten better since then, maybe it’s time for another look.

WGH

« Reply #7 on: 14 Feb 2020, 07:08 pm »

My preferences are a belt drive manual table with a premounted cartridge for that plug and play ready to go table with a hinged dust cover.

Your preference sounds exactly like a Thorens turntable. I never heard one but I like the way they look, just how a classic turntable should look. Prices for a belt drive manual with hinged dust cover start at $400.

https://thorens.com/en/products/thorens%C2%AE-turntables.html

wushuliu

« Reply #8 on: 15 Feb 2020, 12:35 am »
Your preference sounds exactly like a Thorens turntable. I never heard one but I like the way they look, just how a classic turntable should look. Prices for a belt drive manual with hinged dust cover start at $400.

https://thorens.com/en/products/thorens%C2%AE-turntables.html

Those new cheaper Thorens are most likely made by the same company that makes the Fluance (Ya Horng). So expectations should be set accordingly i.e these are not going to be anywhere near vintage Thorens performance. Does not mean they won't sound good though.

To the OP: The Pro-ject X1 got a very good review from HifiNews. I like them because they actually do lab tests on turntables and they also review vintage tables which is pretty cool.

https://www.hifinews.com/content/pro-ject-audio-systems-x1-turntable-lab-report

Look at that resonance graph. Really impressive.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #9 on: 15 Feb 2020, 03:23 am »
I’ve been out of the turntable auditioning and buying scene for quite a while now. I’ve owned a Pro-Ject 1Xpression with Speedbox and acrylic platter. I put a Dynavector 10x5 on it as well. I love the combo. Prices have skyrocketed since I bought mine. The closest deck Pro-Ject seems to make to it currently is the X1. It has the carbon fiber tonearm, acrylic platter and speedbox (or something like it built in).

Someone said Music Halls are re-badged Pro-Jects. Maybe one or two, but definitely not all. Pro-Ject OEMs Music Halls, but they’re not the same deck.

I bought my deck before I heard Rega decks. After being around Regas, I’d rather a Rega. The P3 with Elys cartridge is right over your budget at I think $1145. Down the road, upgrade the cartridge if you’re using the deck often enough to justify it. I love the Dynavector 10x5 on Regas (and practically everything else that’s good enough for it). The price has skyrocketed on that one too since I bought it. I paid about $375 for it back around 2009. Now? $750. Holy inflation, Batman!

twitch54

« Reply #10 on: 15 Feb 2020, 02:02 pm »
'plug and play and call it a day' ................

https://uturnaudio.com/products/orbit-special-turntable

I know you stated a budget of 1k but wasn't sure if you also need a phono-pre, not to mention cleaning / maint supplies.

dB Cooper

« Reply #11 on: 15 Feb 2020, 03:27 pm »
With the Orbit Special and a Van alstine phono preamp, the budget is met including phono pre. If you don't need that, you could always spend the savings on records.

My only quibble with the Orbit is no anti-skate (apparently problematic with unipivot arms).

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #12 on: 15 Feb 2020, 07:09 pm »
The new Schiit turntable looks very interesting for $600:

bacobits1

« Reply #13 on: 15 Feb 2020, 09:51 pm »
The Orbit Special is a Gimbal arm not unipovot and has Atiskate it states.
The Sol is a unipivot arm. Have to read more after it is re-released.

dB Cooper

« Reply #14 on: 16 Feb 2020, 03:14 am »
The Orbit Special is a Gimbal arm not unipovot and has Atiskate it states.
The Sol is a unipivot arm. Have to read more after it is re-released.

Thanks for the correction It doesn't look very different from their original arm which was unipivot. I wonder about the 'one size fits all' antiskating though- tracking force and tip shape both affect skating. I used to use a Johnny Winter double album that had one blank side to 'dial in' my antiskating setting.

audio.bill

« Reply #15 on: 16 Feb 2020, 03:19 pm »
Thanks for the correction It doesn't look very different from their original arm which was unipivot. I wonder about the 'one size fits all' antiskating though- tracking force and tip shape both affect skating. I used to use a Johnny Winter double album that had one blank side to 'dial in' my antiskating setting.
Skating force is different on a blank record than when the stylus is in a groove, so if you set the arm to have no drift on a blank LP your anti-skating will be set too high. When A/S is properly set the arm should initially be stable and then slowly skate inward when tested in the leadout groove section close to the label.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #16 on: 16 Feb 2020, 03:27 pm »
There was a JVC QL-A7 that didn't sell at $355 on Ebay yesterday that should be a considerable step up from these intro tables both in speed stability and arm quality.  If it's relisted, that's a great value on a very solid table.

vintageaxeman

« Reply #17 on: 16 Feb 2020, 07:21 pm »
I have a couple of high end turntables, and a mid price one, all bought at decent prices, used. But my biggest surprise was my Revox B790 Parallel tracking turntable, which actually sounds virtually as good as my 'top' ones.... So why am I surprised when, on release it cost almost twice the cost of a new LP12, so it SHOULD be good, shouldn't it? Well, I say 'surprise' because the date of issue of this deck is 1978-82. This one HAS been completely overhauled by Revox's workshop in Waldshut, Germany, but it sounds excellent, and the soundstage is huge, even compared to my Linn, Orbe and AR turntable.

TJHUB

« Reply #18 on: 16 Feb 2020, 08:37 pm »
It's a little crazy for me to be posting in the vinyl circle (first one ever) as I haven't played any vinyl in nearly 30 years.  I've been looking into a budget friendly TT and phono pre to play my vinyl collection that my wife is pressuring me to sell.  I can't do it!  Some of the stuff was my dad's.

That said, my budget is something less than the OP's, but I've learned a lot from my research.  I was strongly considering a Fluance RT83 or RT85 or a U-Turn Orbit Plus, then a Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC, and landed on a Rega Planer 1.  Why?  This guy's reviews: https://youtu.be/MuuOgT0XBK0

That review, and others from this guy are some of the best I've seen, and I wanted others to see them as they my help.  He's not easy to understand, but he covers that by putting the dialog on the screen.  Based on his reviews and other information around the web, I'm planning to order a Rega P1 and a Schiit Mani.  It's interesting to get what seems like very respectable performance from a budget table with a $12 cartridge.  Upgrading the cartridge in the future will just be another bonus.  My only issue with the Rega P1 and P2 is the lame anti-skate setup which requires DIY modification for alternative cartridges.  That said, I wouldn't buy any of the other tables over the Rega now based on what I know overall. 

Please understand that I just barely understand any of this stuff, and I'd appreciate any comments.  Hope this helps the OP a bit.

wushuliu

« Reply #19 on: 16 Feb 2020, 10:29 pm »
It's a little crazy for me to be posting in the vinyl circle (first one ever) as I haven't played any vinyl in nearly 30 years.  I've been looking into a budget friendly TT and phono pre to play my vinyl collection that my wife is pressuring me to sell.  I can't do it!  Some of the stuff was my dad's.

That said, my budget is something less than the OP's, but I've learned a lot from my research.  I was strongly considering a Fluance RT83 or RT85 or a U-Turn Orbit Plus, then a Pro-ject Debut Carbon DC, and landed on a Rega Planer 1.  Why?  This guy's reviews: https://youtu.be/MuuOgT0XBK0

That review, and others from this guy are some of the best I've seen, and I wanted others to see them as they my help.  He's not easy to understand, but he covers that by putting the dialog on the screen.  Based on his reviews and other information around the web, I'm planning to order a Rega P1 and a Schiit Mani.  It's interesting to get what seems like very respectable performance from a budget table with a $12 cartridge.  Upgrading the cartridge in the future will just be another bonus.  My only issue with the Rega P1 and P2 is the lame anti-skate setup which requires DIY modification for alternative cartridges.  That said, I wouldn't buy any of the other tables over the Rega now based on what I know overall. 

Please understand that I just barely understand any of this stuff, and I'd appreciate any comments.  Hope this helps the OP a bit.

He doesn't mention they run fast though which impacts sound.