Expat in Cambodia needs recommendations

Dave-in-Cambodia

Expat in Cambodia needs recommendations
« on: 5 Oct 2019, 03:40 am »
Hi, everyone!

I'm actually a long-time member who lost his email and had to start over. (I had a 5.0 system in Gainesville, built around Salk Songtowers and a Dared DV-6C for those who might remember.)

I re-upped my enrollment in the community because I'd welcome any input that other members may have on assembling an unfussy 2.0 system in a tricky space, in a country where auditioning isn't practical so versatility is paramount. I need speakers and amplification only, I have a single source (a digital streamer with line-level analog outputs).

Details:
The room has a wide soundstage but it's imbalanced (side-wall is tight on one side but not the other) with a *very* narrow accommodation for the speakers themselves. Auditioning is across-the-board impractical (I've tried). There's a huge credenza across the front wall of the listening space and it can be slid sideways only a few inches before it interferes with the bedroom door (see picture).

Candidate speakers I've been considering include Splendor S5e's, Audio Physic Virgos, and an old but recently rebuilt pair of KEF 104/2's on eBay. Amplification will probably be Arcam, Naim or Dared. Looking primarily second-hand to save money.

Sonic priorities are: tight upper-bass control, microphonic detail, smooth but unmuffled highs, and soundstage (the British sound, in other words). There has to be enough bottom for movies, but I wouldn't miss any extra. No chocolate-fudge sundae sounds need to be considered.

I've had high satisfaction in the past with:

Speakers:
KEF C-80s,
Linn Ninkas,
Audio Physic Spark IIII's
and of course the Songtowers;

And amplification by Onkyo/Integra, Naim, Arcam, Rotel and Dared.

I know an un-auditioned system probably sounds at least a little reckless but I've had good luck with recommendation-only purchases in the past and I am ready to risk it again, especially under the circumstances. Any ideas are welcome, and thanks for having me!

adminRH

• Admin
Re: Expat in Cambodia needs recommendations
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2019, 05:57 pm »
Welcome back Dave
Do you want to resurrect your old AC account?

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 5 Oct 2019, 07:14 pm »
Welcome Dave :thumb:

ntjetsmoke

« Reply #3 on: 5 Oct 2019, 08:26 pm »
Welcome to the AC!

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 5 Oct 2019, 08:49 pm »
Welcome!

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2019, 10:42 pm »
Greetings & Welcome back Dave   :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2019, 09:40 am »
Welcome back.

A to-scale sketch of the room would be most helpful.

How long will you be there?  Have you considered headphones as an alternative to such a challenging listening environment and budget? 

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 6 Oct 2019, 11:51 am »
I have a similar situation and split my listening time about 70/30 headphones and speakers respectively.  Currently I have a limited placement bedroom system and I just gave up on the expansive soundstage of my dedicated listening room and went for tonality.  With your short list I don't think you could go wrong with any of it because you're not going to reap the full benefits of the equipment anyway.  Adapt and conquer.

witchdoctor

« Reply #8 on: 6 Oct 2019, 08:17 pm »
I'd recommend the Salk Powered Monitors, a power conditioner and a pair on interconnects and you are done.

http://salksound.com/model.php?model=PowerPlay%20Monitors

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #9 on: 6 Oct 2019, 08:55 pm »
Welcome back.

A to-scale sketch of the room would be most helpful.

How long will you be there?  Have you considered headphones as an alternative to such a challenging listening environment and budget?
+1 on headphones and a tube amp, it would be a used HifiMan Edition X or a Massdrop Edition XX clone only $600
https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-x-hifiman-edition-xx-headphones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLjzU52NPLE

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 7 Oct 2019, 12:37 pm »
I'd recommend the Salk Powered Monitors, a power conditioner and a pair on interconnects and you are done.

http://salksound.com/model.php?model=PowerPlay%20Monitors

I was uber impressed with JBL 305P Mk2 (small 2-way active monitors, $300/pair MSRP).  Again just add interconnects.