It's Finally Here: Emerald XL

Ross @ ACI

It's Finally Here: Emerald XL
« on: 1 Mar 2007, 03:07 am »
The Emerald XL is now shipping! This compact gem sounds even better than the Emerald it replaces. A worthy little brother to the Sapphire XL for sure: http://www.audioc.com/speakers1/emeraldxl/emeraldxl.htm

Special limited time introductory pricing is in effect, so get moving! And, if you subscribe to the ACI Confidential Newsletter you’ve seen an even more amazing intro price offer .  If you haven't subscribed to the Confidential yet, you can do so in about 15 seconds here:   http://www.audioc.com/aboutaci1/mailinglist.htm

WEEZ

Re: It's Finally Here: Emerald XL
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2007, 03:54 pm »
Looks real nice! Hope you have great success with it.

WEEZ

Eric

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2007, 08:30 pm »
Awesome, congratulations - is there a new equivalent to the Jags coming any time soon??

Carl V

« Reply #3 on: 2 Mar 2007, 02:58 am »
Awesome, congratulations - is there a new equivalent to the Jags coming any time soon??

Ditto

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #4 on: 2 Mar 2007, 04:48 pm »

Thanks folks . . .  the Emerald XLs are going to be just the ticket for a LOT of music and video lovers.

Currently we are working on projects that are quite a ways out, and nothing is completely firm. Input provided on this forum is very important for us in determining our R&D priorities   :D

WEEZ

« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2007, 12:46 am »
Ross or Mike,

The specs indicate 4th order or 2nd order options for the bass...is this simply a mater of plugging the port?...or are they available in a sealed version and ported version?..

thanks,

WEEZ

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2007, 01:23 am »
Ross or Mike,

The specs indicate 4th order or 2nd order options for the bass...is this simply a mater of plugging the port?...or are they available in a sealed version and ported version?..

thanks,

WEEZ

Weez:

Simply a matter of plugging the port with the supplied foam plug. The Sapphire XL and XLC are the same way. You lose a bit less than an octave and have a low Q sealed system. Can be just the ticket for integrating with sub or for near wall placement.

WEEZ

« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2007, 01:23 pm »
Thanks. That's what I thought. Neat little speaker.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2007, 03:55 pm »
I'm glad to see you offering something in this price range, as frankly it seems to me that there are many options around $1,000 per pair and up or roughly $300 per pair.

Could you compare Emerald XL and Sapphire XL (sort of a buyer's guide)?

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #9 on: 6 Mar 2007, 07:31 pm »
I'm glad to see you offering something in this price range, as frankly it seems to me that there are many options around $1,000 per pair and up or roughly $300 per pair.

Could you compare Emerald XL and Sapphire XL (sort of a buyer's guide)?

JLM:

Let me give it a shot on an excellent question and one we’ll probably get a lot.  We started working on the Emerald XL as soon as we finished the Sapphire XL design.  Everyone was, (and still is), saying that the Sapphire XL was a giant slayer, a mid-priced monitor that could compete with virtually any monitor on the market. Our goal was to develop a smaller, less expensive speaker that would still maintain much of the core sonic character of the Sapphire XL.  It was very important that the two speakers had a very similar tonal signature so they could be seamlessly combined in 5.1 and 7.1 systems.  It took us about two years, but we feel we’ve handily met our goals.   

If you compare the two speakers head to head, you’ll find they sound very similar.  Soundstage is huge and detailed with both models. Tonal accuracy is spot on.  They both have a smooth, natural, non-fatiguing presentation. The first difference you’d probably notice is that the smaller Emerald XL doesn’t go as low or have as much weight, but it still has a nice full sound.  You’d also notice that the Emerald XL won’t play as loudly or fill a larger room as well.  Do a bit more listening and you’ll start to notice that from top to bottom, the Sapphire XL will resolve details better and has a sense of greater transparency as well as improved micro-dynamics.   

I hope this gives a glimpse . . .  happy to answer questions!

WEEZ

« Reply #10 on: 4 May 2007, 11:29 pm »
Just another couple of questions re: the Emerald XL, if you don't mind :)

1) For 2-channel in a small room..say, 11.5 X 16.0; would you recommend stands at 30"?
2) The minimum impedence is quoted at 7 ohms :thumb:, so I assume they would work well with even an OTL tubed amp?..is the minimum in the bass region or the treble?
3) Any reviews planned?

WEEZ!

Mike Dzurko

« Reply #11 on: 5 May 2007, 10:03 pm »
Just another couple of questions re: the Emerald XL, if you don't mind :)

1) For 2-channel in a small room..say, 11.5 X 16.0; would you recommend stands at 30"?
2) The minimum impedence is quoted at 7 ohms :thumb:, so I assume they would work well with even an OTL tubed amp?..is the minimum in the bass region or the treble?
3) Any reviews planned?

WEEZ!

I'd go with 24-25" tall stands personally. You could go 30", but it would be a bit taller than optimum.  They are a VERY easy amp load . . .  most OTLs will have no difficulty. The min of 7 ohms is in the bass range.  No reviews currently in the works . . .  need to get caught up with production first. They are proving to be quite popular already :)

WEEZ

« Reply #12 on: 6 May 2007, 02:15 am »
Thank you, Mike.

(I'll bet these will make a significant dent in the sales of Spendor 3/5's :))

WEEZ

griller

« Reply #13 on: 9 May 2007, 08:08 pm »
Weez as a mucho happy Emerald XL owner I can't recommend them enough. Interesting you mentiont the Spendors, the XLs remind me a lot of Rogers Ls3/5a sound without that BBC midbass hump. Heck of an accomplishment at this price point!