35mm Film Favorites

Tubes 4 Ever

35mm Film Favorites
« on: 13 Apr 2008, 08:14 pm »
Now that I am armed with my new G2, it dawned on me that it has been several years since I even looked at film. Is there any consensus of a good non professional film, B&W and color. I realize there is a bunch, but if there is a recommendation from you guys I would appreciate it.

mjosef

Re: 35mm Film Favorites
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2008, 10:51 pm »
Well..I swear by Ilford Delta 400. Been using it for almost 2 decades.

JohnR

« Reply #2 on: 14 Apr 2008, 12:39 pm »
I don't know it there's a consensus really, most films seem pretty good these days (more's the pity). Personally I've been liking the results I get from Tri-X, although I don't have much left...

twitch54

« Reply #3 on: 14 Apr 2008, 12:45 pm »
Fuji ProVia and good ole' Kodak Kodachrome 64. I have not shot either in over a year now, but I know of no other film(transperency) that archives as good as Kodachrome.

SET Man

« Reply #4 on: 15 Apr 2008, 02:21 am »
...Is there any consensus of a good non professional film, B&W and color...

Hey!

If you talking about consumer films my choice for color neg print film would be Fuji Superia series :D For B&W would be Kodak Tri-X great all around film and very forgiven. These films should be wildly available also. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb:

toxteth ogrady

« Reply #5 on: 15 Apr 2008, 05:34 am »
No color recommendations but for b&w I'd recommend Tri-x in Rodinal. Beautiful grain structure, sharpness and detail.. if you're into that kind of thing. Once upon a time I was a photo nerd.. had this book called the Darkroom Cookbook which inspired me to investigate many film, paper and developer combinations over a period of two years. In my experiments Tri-x proved to be the most veratile film I tested. It ran rings around the T-grain films in terms of latitude.. both with exposure and development. It looked great with most off the shelf developers and absolutely stunning with some of the old school formulas like Pyro and Crawley's FX-1.

mjosef

« Reply #6 on: 15 Apr 2008, 06:02 am »
For color slides I got to like Fuji Velvia... before I had liked the tone of Afgachrome. Don't think Agfa still makes that.
For Color print I like the Fuji Reala.

SunnyDay

« Reply #7 on: 18 Apr 2008, 01:43 pm »
My favorite color print film would be Fuji NPS 160, and NPH 400. Exposed at 100 and 320 respectively...You can buy them at B&H online if it is not available in your local photo stores.

Tubes 4 Ever

« Reply #8 on: 18 Apr 2008, 02:47 pm »
It is amazing when I started to buy film how hard it is to find any locally. Shops that use to sell hundreds of varieties now only sell 5 or 6 different films. Seems digital is here to stay  :lol: I will have to look online instead of adding miles to my Gremlin driving to the record shop for 8 tracks and vinyl.  :duh: And to think I laughed at the concept of pockets  :lol: