Songtowers or Totem Sttaf speakers

smwick

Songtowers or Totem Sttaf speakers
« on: 11 May 2009, 02:16 am »
I currently have Totem Sttaf speakers and I am thinking of upgrading them.  Would the Songtowers be an upgrade or more of a lateral move?   

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: Songtowers or Totem Sttaf speakers
« Reply #1 on: 11 May 2009, 02:21 am »
I currently have Totem Sttaf speakers and I am thinking of upgrading them.  Would the Songtowers be an upgrade or more of a lateral move?   

What do you want to try and improve with a speaker change?

George

Zero

« Reply #2 on: 11 May 2009, 02:23 am »
Smwick,

I made this exact comparison in my review of the SongTowers over at www.sonicflare.com

Otherwise, the normal questions apply:

How big is the room that you're in? Does it open to any other room or hallway?
What electronics are you running, or plan on running in the near future?
What is it about the Totem's you don't like that you hope the Songtower's will do better?

In the grand scope of things, I'd say a move to the SongTower's would be a lateral move at best.

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 11 May 2009, 10:31 pm »
A comparison like this should only be done by one person: the consumer (you). 

Totem and Salk both make great stuff, so I recommend listening and comparing on your own.  Forget the opinions of others, just line up a SongTower audition (maybe even bring your Staff's along) and then compare.  I know that's probably not the response you want to hear, but it is the best advice you can get.

smwick

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2009, 04:51 pm »
Thanks for all your input.  I think I will upgrade my Rega Mira 3 amp first, then think about new speakers.  AVA looks very interesting.

Watson

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2009, 05:22 pm »
Usually speaker comparison questions are impossible to answer, but the Sttafs are IMHO fairly weak speakers. Unless you like that particular somewhat lean sound, you'll probably prefer the Songtowers.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2009, 05:56 pm »
Thanks for all your input.  I think I will upgrade my Rega Mira 3 amp first, then think about new speakers.  AVA looks very interesting.

I'd say -- listen to ST's first, place the order, then talk to Frank, place the order.  :thumb:
You will not be sorry!

audiocrazy

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2009, 10:01 pm »
Few months ago I was too posing the same question to myself :scratch:. I was looking to buy a good DAC and an equalizer. To cut the story short I stumbled upon Salk Speakers while researching.
I did resist upgrading speaker for about a month and eventually order Salk ST's without auditioning them.
I was not sure what to expect but after listening to them I do not regret my decision. I think ST's provides more value then I would have go out of DAC & EQ purchase.
I liked them so much I upgraded all my HT with Song Series.
If you are unsure go give them a listen and you'll know what we all are taking about.

maxwalrath

« Reply #8 on: 12 May 2009, 10:04 pm »
I've never heard them, but I have heard other speakers with crossovers designed by Dennis Murphy and they were awesome.