SongTowers in curly African bubinga

jsalk

SongTowers in curly African bubinga
« on: 8 Mar 2009, 03:55 pm »
Jared wanted a pair of SongTowers in African bubinga.  Bubinga has long been a very popular finish for us, but this is the first pair we have done in that particular veneer.

Here are the resulting SongTowers...

And a close up...

Happy listening Jerad!

- Jim

evan1

Re: SongTowers in curly African bubinga
« Reply #1 on: 8 Mar 2009, 04:50 pm »
 :drool: :drool:

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #2 on: 8 Mar 2009, 05:28 pm »
Wow!

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 8 Mar 2009, 07:49 pm »
Look at that pattern.  Simply amazing!  :drool:

Rapt

« Reply #4 on: 9 Mar 2009, 08:40 pm »
Wow  :drool:, that is my favorite veneer yet, congrats on a GREAT looking speaker  8)

earthbound

« Reply #5 on: 9 Mar 2009, 10:56 pm »
Jared is one lucky guy with great taste!

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 9 Mar 2009, 11:00 pm »
Beautiful speaker Jim. Everyone knows the wild Bubinga is my fav!

majorloser

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2009, 12:09 am »
OMG those are freakin BEAUTIFUL!!!!!  :drool:

If anything like that makes it's way out to Oregon this fall I'm dead!
There is no way I'll ever be able to settle for anything less.

rlee8394

« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2009, 11:33 pm »
Damn! I'd have to listen in the dark else I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the music!!!  :drool: So Jim, would that configuration set one back price-wise? :green:

Ron

Big Red Machine

« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2009, 11:51 pm »
Big brother:

majorloser

« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2009, 12:01 am »
Fine furniture is not supposed to sound that good!  :thumb:

You are some very lucky men.

jsalk

« Reply #11 on: 11 Mar 2009, 03:13 am »
Ron -

Damn! I'd have to listen in the dark else I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the music!!!  :drool: So Jim, would that configuration set one back price-wise? :green:

Ron

"Custom" SongTowers have a base price of $1995, to which you simply add the cost of the veneer.  Enough bubinga to do a pair of SongTowers runs from $200 - 300 depending on the quality of the veneer.  $2250 would be a good estimate.

- Jim

Bill

« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2009, 01:48 am »
I wish I could agree with all the favorable comments on these speakers, but I find them very unattractive. First of all, the pattern draws way too much attention to the speaker which I have always felt should blend in with the surroundings. And the pattern looks grotesque to me. I am not a Salk speaker owner so maybe I don't feel compelled to go along with popular consensus.

Bill

Big Red Machine

« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2009, 02:05 am »
I wish I could agree with all the favorable comments on these speakers, but I find them very unattractive. First of all, the pattern draws way too much attention to the speaker which I have always felt should blend in with the surroundings. And the pattern looks grotesque to me. I am not a Salk speaker owner so maybe I don't feel compelled to go along with popular consensus.

Bill

SO it's safe to say Bubinga is not in your future.  We'll make a note! :bowdown:

Gord_Toronto

« Reply #14 on: 13 Mar 2009, 02:07 am »

Bill

My wife agrees with you Bill.  I wanted something a little wilder, but my wife rained me in

Bill

« Reply #15 on: 13 Mar 2009, 02:14 am »
Hey Big Red Machine, I am truly sorry if I upset you, but I was memerly stating an opinion.

Bill

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #16 on: 13 Mar 2009, 02:19 am »

Bill

Grotesque? Wow. :icon_surprised:  As three-dimensional as the front of these speakers appears in a photo, it must really be something sweet in person.

I am not a Salk owner either. I have, however, had the unique opportunity to sign final permits on some really beautiful work from some very talented cabinet makers. Jim's cabinet making skills are amazing, in my book. He is a gifted and rare craftsman, IMHO.

Then again, our choice in dogs isn't the same, either.  :thumb:

Have fun,
Jerry

Bill

« Reply #17 on: 13 Mar 2009, 02:33 am »
Hey Jerry, you seem to think that "grotesque" is maybe a little overboard, but that's what I see. The pattern looks like somebody's curly hair has been glued to the cabinets. And yes, the finishing work is exemplary; however the choice of veneer is questionable from my vantage point. I like sardines with jalapeno peppers and I'm guessing most people don't.

Bill

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #18 on: 13 Mar 2009, 02:56 am »
Hey Jerry, you seem to think that "grotesque" is maybe a little overboard, but that's what I see. The pattern looks like somebody's curly hair has been glued to the cabinets. And yes, the finishing work is exemplary; however the choice of veneer is questionable from my vantage point. I like sardines with jalapeno peppers and I'm guessing most people don't.

Bill

Read Bill's other posts.  Mostly, he complained that a T5 preamp didn't sell as quickly as he hoped/expected, or he questioned other forum member's statements or made other critical comments.  There have been many posts about other Salk speakers, but Bill never commented positively about any of those speakers, TTBOMK.  Most folks seem to make comments about what they like, and Bill seems to make comments about what he doesn't like, except for the sardines with jalapeno peppers, which Bill acknowledges is out-of-sync with other people's taste.

Phil

« Reply #19 on: 13 Mar 2009, 03:03 am »
When I showed these to my wife she said, "Sure they are beautiful but what do they sound like?  That is what counts."   :o