Digital EQ = R-Des

Mike Dzurko

Digital EQ = R-Des
« on: 9 Oct 2004, 02:46 pm »
R-Des will be an amazingly powerful tool to optimize any audio and or HT system. R-Des is now in beta and important information will be coming on a near daily basis. Mark Shifter and his team have worked hard to put together an amazing system. This is a PC based hardware-software package with unlimited flexibility and power. And the value price will shock you.

There is a new introductory page on our website.

http://www.audioc.com/accessories1/rdes/rdes.htm

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
Digital EQ = R-Des
« Reply #1 on: 9 Oct 2004, 03:45 pm »
Me Want's It ;-))

E

tex-amp

Digital EQ = R-Des
« Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2004, 03:37 am »
Craig posted elsewere that he willing be receiving a beta unit next week.

Craig- Maybe Mark needs to get on of those to Austin.  :D

Craig Chase

Monday, the 11th...
« Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2004, 01:15 pm »
R-Des is scheduled to arrive on Monday, the 11th. It may require a software download to complete the installation... but hopefully it will be as simple to use as the sample screens I have seen look...

thedeskE

• http://www.thedeske.com
Digital EQ = R-Des
« Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2004, 05:11 pm »
Craig

Should be really interesting to hear about width adjustment with so many filters. I hate the idea of a rack unit in line, but lust for more that the two I have now ( 1 on a plate amp & 1 in the Receiver)

1/3 oct around 46 is my room's favorite mode.

Can't wait for your results!

E

Mr Whippy

questions/requests
« Reply #5 on: 14 Oct 2004, 03:16 pm »
Sub-sonic filter- can it be disabled? (my sub has one)
Crossover-can it be disabled? (av pre-amp has one)
If ss filter & crossover is disabled- any CPU resources left over to have 5 or 6 filters?
Is left & right independent? (ie like the BFD, you could have two different subs/differently EQ'd)
Radio Shack corrections built-into the software? (enter in raw values and it corrects)? able to enter the full 100-odd sine wave tones into the PC program to get a finer graph (instead of the 21 point excel/radio shack file?)
Upgradeable firmware?
240V UK version available?

Any chance you can send me the software so I can see ease of use, and learn what width & cut does to the line? I understand it's beta. I obviously don't have the R-DES so it's pretty much useless.

MaxCast

Digital EQ = R-Des
« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2004, 03:42 pm »
Does the computer have to be in the same room connected to the system if you use a test cd and RS meter?
Is the xo only low pass?  What slope?
Thanks,

Mike Dzurko

Re: questions/requests
« Reply #7 on: 14 Oct 2004, 04:12 pm »
Quote from: Mr Whippy
Sub-sonic filter- can it be disabled? (my sub has one)
Crossover-can it be disabled? (av pre-amp has one)
If ss filter & crossover is disabled- any CPU resources left over to have 5 or 6 filters?
Is left & right independent? (ie like the BFD, you could have two different subs/differently EQ'd)
Radio Shack corrections built-into the software? (enter in raw values and it corrects)? able to enter the full 100-odd sine wave tones into the PC program to get a finer graph (instead of the 21 point excel/radio  ...

I've only got a minute here so I'll be brief with what I know. Will have to check on some and get back to you.
Subsonic and crossover can be disabled. No plans for greater than four bands, (at present anyway). Left and right are independent so you can have two different curves.  No corrections built in because they would then throw off other measured input. The excel spreadsheet supplied with our AWS system is totally different.  You can include more data points.
Thanks for asking!

Mike Dzurko

Digital EQ = R-Des
« Reply #8 on: 14 Oct 2004, 04:22 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast
Does the computer have to be in the same room connected to the system if you use a test cd and RS meter?
Thanks,

The computer does not have to be in the same room, or the same building for that matter :)

The crossover is only lowpass, I'll have to check on the slope (MAY be variable, but need to check for sure)  Good questions!

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.reddragonaudio.com
Digital EQ = R-Des
« Reply #9 on: 14 Oct 2004, 04:42 pm »

From what I have read, you do the testing seperately.  This software doesn't do room analysis; you do that with your own test equipment.  But once you have all the numbers, then you program where you have bass bumps that need to be nuetralized in your room and the computer simply draws up curves for that, and they are downloaded to the hardware which probably stores the curves in some Flash memory bank.

From the R-DES page:
"Once the hardware box is programmed you do not have to stay connected to the computer."

Thanks,

I'm hoping the digital crossover section for the subs can vary in steepness from plain old 12dB/oct up to 48dB/oct or higher even.

There easily could be an high pass crossover but the hardware will need to have to have high pass outputs as well.

Having a built in high pass would be extremely valuable I think even though I wouldn't use it at this time (later on down the road I would most certainly want to use it).

Anyone with a seperate preamp and amp woudl benefit greatly from this.  Your main amp would no longer have to push mass current to get the low bass pumping so there would be less IM distortion both in the amp and your main speakers (for the same reason).

Cool Product Idea!!  Can I vote it starts off with an introductory price of $295 for everyone; even those without ACI subs? :thumb:

Mr Whippy

Digital EQ = R-Des
« Reply #10 on: 14 Oct 2004, 05:20 pm »
You said the values for radio shack meter aren't corrected with your software. I understand a calibrated mic doesn't have to have the inputted values corrected (ie perhaps with your "deluxe bundled mic" kit) However when using the RS meter- if you enter the reading from the 20hz tone say on the RS meter display - 70dB, then according to the "correct" RS correction values it should appear on the graph +7.5dB =77.5dB? If your software does not adjust RS inaccuracy then inputting 70dB will be result in a inaccurate response graph? Will 77.5dB will have to be entered? And because of that you're limited to known values of your mic? You can't just go through 100 tones, enter in your values- save these. Then choose "Radio Shack analogue/Digital meter" from a included database of mic corrections, and the inputted values would then be corrected?

Sorry if I'm wrong or confused in this matter.  :lol:
If you have only one subwoofer, couldn't you use the filters from the other channel? (total of eight)

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
Digital EQ = R-Des
« Reply #11 on: 14 Oct 2004, 09:44 pm »
Quote from: Mr Whippy
You said the values for radio shack meter aren't corrected with your software. I understand a calibrated mic doesn't have to have the inputted values corrected (ie perhaps with your "deluxe bundled mic" kit) However when using the RS meter- if you enter the reading from the 20hz tone say on the RS meter display - 70dB, then according to the "correct" RS correction values it should appear on the graph +7.5dB =77.5dB? If your software does not adjust RS inaccuracy then inputting 70dB will be result in a inacc ...

There is a CD from Rives Audio that has test tones designed specifically for the RS SPL meter and it's only $20.  This just makes it easy to go in, run the tones, graph it, and find where you need to nuetralize the bass bumps.

Mike Dzurko

Digital EQ = R-Des
« Reply #12 on: 15 Oct 2004, 04:41 pm »
Cool Product Idea!! Can I vote it starts off with an introductory price of $295 for everyone; even those without ACI subs?

MAYBE something like this for audiocircle members as well as ACI sub owners, we'll see as we get closer to actual release.  :D

Red Dragon Audio

• Industry Participant
Digital EQ = R-Des
« Reply #13 on: 20 Oct 2004, 10:08 pm »
Hi Mike,

I just thought I would make two suggestions/requests for the R-DES:

1) Variable slope on lo-pass xover; from 6dB/oct to 48dB/oct (min)
2) Hi-Pass xover w/ variable slope; from 6dB/oct to 48dB/oct (min)

It would be very helpful to have the variable high pass out so the main speakers get relief and the ultra steep slope would make the transition smoother and less noticeable.

Thanks for the great product.

Mike Dzurko

Digital EQ = R-Des
« Reply #14 on: 21 Oct 2004, 12:55 pm »
Quote from: heavystarch
Hi Mike,

I just thought I would make two suggestions/requests for the R-DES:

1) Variable slope on lo-pass xover; from 6dB/oct to 48dB/oct (min)
2) Hi-Pass xover w/ variable slope; from 6dB/oct to 48dB/oct (min)

It would be very helpful to have the variable high pass out so the main speakers get relief and the ultra steep slope would make the transition smoother and less noticeable.

Thanks for the great product.

These are great ideas. #1 is possible for sure. #2, not likely at least for now as the 1st run of hardware doesn't have the real estate to add two more outputs. The feeling was that most systems either have the highpass function in their processor/rec, or are using passive high pass or separate active high pass. Thank you for the feedback. Hope to be able to share more about this very cool piece soon!

flintstone

Sub
« Reply #15 on: 21 Oct 2004, 09:47 pm »
Looks like a great product, would not be for me though unless I could cut out-put from my Apogee speakers (very strong to 27hz). I cut their output begining at 60hz at this time before my subs kick in.

Sounds great for small speaker systems with sub (subs). I would love to cut the Apogees at around 35-40hz with your product rather than run them full-range with subs.

Dave

MaxCast

Digital EQ = R-Des
« Reply #16 on: 30 Nov 2004, 10:04 pm »
Mike, any update on R-DES?

mac

Digital EQ = R-Des
« Reply #17 on: 30 Nov 2004, 10:38 pm »
Quote from: heavystarch
Can I vote it starts off with an introductory price of $295 for everyone; even those without ACI subs?  :thumb:

Same price as a Behringer DCX2496.  I wonder how the two compare.   :wink:

jackman

Digital EQ = R-Des
« Reply #18 on: 30 Nov 2004, 10:51 pm »
The DCX is almost $200 more (unless I'm looking at the wrong information).  It is also targeted towards a pro audio consumer and (from what I understand) is not the most user friendly piece of gear.  I think some people could really benefit from a user friendly product that does what Mike's new product will do.

mac

Digital EQ = R-Des
« Reply #19 on: 30 Nov 2004, 11:13 pm »
Quote from: jackman
The DCX is almost $200 more (unless I'm looking at the wrong information).  It is also targeted towards a pro audio consumer and (from what I understand) is not the most user friendly piece of gear.  I think some people could really benefit from a user friendly product that does what Mike's new product will do.

Maybe it went up $20 in price since I bought mine.  http://www.guitar-zone.com/live/c/Crossovers/Behringer_DCX2496_Ul_182479.htm  It isn't all that hard to master but I agree with you - with power comes increased complexity.