Pink Floyd Tore it Down,,,, Samsung wants it back Up !

2bigears

:D hello,  anyone seen The Wall from Samsung ? Is it even out yet ?  Looks pretty cool.  :D

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Pink Floyd Tore it Down,,,, Samsung wants it back Up !
« Reply #1 on: 14 Oct 2020, 02:57 am »
Looks cool but I will never again buy a Samsung TV and I won't buy an LG due to ads.  WTF!  New Sony's have them but they can be disabled for now with some work.  Vizio is ad free.  Too bad because I love the LG OLED TV's.

2bigears

« Reply #2 on: 14 Oct 2020, 07:36 am »
 :D i just looked ,, $$120,000.00 ,,,, but so cool.  :D

newzooreview

« Reply #3 on: 14 Oct 2020, 12:03 pm »
Looks cool but I will never again buy a Samsung TV and I won't buy an LG due to ads.  WTF!  New Sony's have them but they can be disabled for now with some work.  Vizio is ad free.  Too bad because I love the LG OLED TV's.

Do you mean ads within the TVs "smart" tv system or are you saying that they now inject ads into your external HDMI video sources?

i have one of the last, very nice, Samsung plasma models, and I do not have it connected to the internet: it's just a monitor for external HDMI video sources.

Is that monitor-only approach still possible with the newer TVs? I've been considering a nice OLED upgrade, but it's not worth it if the TV is now inextricable from a spy network.

Digi-G

« Reply #4 on: 14 Oct 2020, 01:37 pm »
How about a freakin' link so we know what you're talking about.

newzooreview

Samac

« Reply #6 on: 14 Oct 2020, 04:41 pm »
Fahrenheit 451 comes true. Creepy.

Cheers,

Scott

SoCalWJS

« Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2020, 12:09 am »
Do you mean ads within the TVs "smart" tv system or are you saying that they now inject ads into your external HDMI video sources?

i have one of the last, very nice, Samsung plasma models, and I do not have it connected to the internet: it's just a monitor for external HDMI video sources.

Is that monitor-only approach still possible with the newer TVs? I've been considering a nice OLED upgrade, but it's not worth it if the TV is now inextricable from a spy network.
Yup. Getting scary.

I know you can minimize it, but uncertain if it stops it completely.

https://www.komando.com/tech-tips/stop-your-smart-tv-from-spying/544540/

For LG TV's:LG
LG’s ACR technology is baked into its newer WebOS-powered smart TVs and it is known as LivePlus. To turn this off, go to Settings > All Settings > scroll down to General > scroll down to a setting called LivePlus > toggle it to Off.

To limit other forms of data collection on your LG smart TV, go back to Settings > All Settings > scroll down to General > About This TV > User Agreements > toggle Personalized Advertising to Off.

2bigears

« Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2020, 12:37 am »
 :D good info here.  I need a new boob-tube.  And I will go wild if any adds magically appear from within the apparatus.  Good lord I can't stand dumb people trying to sell you dumb shit with a stupid commercial. 
     You would think there should be a law on this stuff. Advertising is the New 'Hope'.  I'm ok with no Hope.  :D

newzooreview

« Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2020, 01:47 am »
Yup. Getting scary.

I know you can minimize it, but uncertain if it stops it completely.

https://www.komando.com/tech-tips/stop-your-smart-tv-from-spying/544540/
[/i]

Thanks.

I don't have my TV connected to the internet (I never set it up with WiFi and used an ethernet cable to do a firmware update and then unplugged it). The only connections are HDMI and power. I don't allow the TV to do anything "smart." I get any streaming services I want via an Apple TV box. Apple is significantly better (not perfect) than anyone else when it comes to privacy.

I guess what I'm curious to know is whether any of the current TVs require that they are connected to the internet to operate just as a dumb display? Do any of these manufacturers disable the TV if they can't spy on you?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2020, 02:45 am »
I don't have my TV connected to the internet
I dont have TV already some years, as consequence my thinking increased, my concentration increased, and I sleep much better because my subconscious does not have to processing all that garbage from the images of hours watching TV.

I cannot believe that a person with normal IQ can pay to see the trash that goes on TV.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 15 Oct 2020, 03:02 am »
:D good info here.  I need a new boob-tube.  And I will go wild if any adds magically appear from within the apparatus.  Good lord I can't stand dumb people trying to sell you dumb shit with a stupid commercial. 
     You would think there should be a law on this stuff. Advertising is the New 'Hope'.  I'm ok with no Hope.  :D

Vizio is coming out with an OLED TV and it uses LG panels who also supply OLED panels to Sony. Vizio does not have ads.  It will probably be my next TV if it is comparable to LG and Sony.

https://www.vizio.com/en/tv/oled/OLED65-H1

SoCalWJS

« Reply #12 on: 15 Oct 2020, 03:12 am »
I dont have TV already some years, as consequence my thinking increased, my concentration increased, and I sleep much better because my subconscious does not have to processing all that garbage from the images of hours watching TV.

I cannot believe that a person with normal IQ can pay to see the trash that goes on TV.
I wish I understood the inner workings of these things better. I'm paranoid that there could be "holes" in the security of modern devices. If there is anything connected via a 2 way communication cable (HDMI) that is connected to the Internet...... (i.e. - you have a device that is connected to your TV or HT Receiver or Pre/pro, then to the TV, can the TV "use" that?)

:peek:

2bigears

« Reply #13 on: 15 Oct 2020, 04:05 am »
 :D Good God almighty.   Surveillance  Capitalism !  Been around for a while now. Watch your every move.🐳☮️

newzooreview

« Reply #14 on: 15 Oct 2020, 12:22 pm »
:D Good God almighty.   Surveillance  Capitalism !  Been around for a while now. Watch your every move.🐳☮️

I think there is equal concern about having ads injected into system irrespective of the spying. If I pause a movie that I'm streaming or playing from Blu-ray, I certainly don't want the TV manufacturer inserting advertising into the system.

From what I can tell, all of the problems identified result from people blithely activating the "smart" system on the TV and keeping the TV itself connected to the internet. It does not sound like there are any new issues with TVs that are kept disconnected from the internet. Then it's just what it should be: a screen for displaying a video signal.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #16 on: 18 Oct 2020, 10:39 pm »
I wish I understood the inner workings of these things better. I'm paranoid that there could be "holes" in the security of modern devices. If there is anything connected via a 2 way communication cable (HDMI) that is connected to the Internet...... (i.e. - you have a device that is connected to your TV or HT Receiver or Pre/pro, then to the TV, can the TV "use" that?)

:peek:
Sorry this sentence was a quote, I believe surveliance is made via cell phone.
Some of my co-workers even have two phones!!
Thanks.

« Last Edit: 18 Oct 2020, 11:58 pm by FullRangeMan »