AV123 Forum not available?

Gvt1911

Re: AV123 Forum not available?
« Reply #200 on: 6 Dec 2008, 04:52 pm »
Just my 2 cents...I ordered a subwoofer on black friday of LAST year...The wrong subwoofer was delivered about a month ago...After 3 weeks the transformer hummed so loud that I had to unplug sub from wall outlet...Called AV123 and sub was picked up...I requested that they send the CORRECT sub back to me since Kyle said they had the cabinet in stock...I ordered a ULW and got a UFW...No biggy if the sub worked ,I would have kept it...Anyway, I have called twice and spoke with Kyle and Suzanne and still await a return call...It has be about 3 weeks now...Point is: They had my money since November of last year, sent sub that was "sub par", accepted the return and now I wait some more...Maybe it's time for some folks, including myself to call the BBB and file a complaint...Mark IS a nice guy but needs to get his act together on a few important things...Mainly customer service and QC...I don't know what to do anymore...Just disgusted... :(

emac

« Reply #201 on: 6 Dec 2008, 06:05 pm »
Kind of sucks having the forum down because the PM system isn't working either. 

Note to self: get people's email addresses in the future.   :duh:

django1

« Reply #202 on: 6 Dec 2008, 06:08 pm »
It is  really is a funny thing to do.  Lock out all forum members (mostly clients) to ... do what exactly (aside from insulting them)?  I'm just trying to imagine doing something similar to my clients :duh:.  I'd be out of work pretty fast.  For me, closing the forum is akin to shooting the messenger and it will have the same effect as spitting into the wind...

django1

« Reply #203 on: 6 Dec 2008, 06:13 pm »
edit:  Oops I quoted myself instead of Emac

Hey Ed!  Nice seeing you around... :D
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2008, 09:06 pm by django1 »

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #204 on: 6 Dec 2008, 06:24 pm »
I actually don't think it will have as big an impact as we think.

The overwhelming majority of the people who frequent the forum seem incredibly loyal and devoted to Mark and AV123.  I doubt that a forum closure will drive them away if all the product delays, quality issues, etc...didn't do it.

George

620gold

« Reply #205 on: 6 Dec 2008, 06:34 pm »
MLS is on the forums way too much also. I know there are are lot of followers that say he isn't on enough and that he "makes" the forum but just look at some of his posts lately. Most of his posts are in response to negative comments. And he addresses those posts individually. You can't be on the forum, run a business, design, and put out fires at the same time. The man is stretched way too thin. Someone is gonna have to hit him over the head for him to realize this. Letter or no letter, I don't think he can actually pull himself away from that. Call it OCD, call it what you will. I see it as lack of discipline and an unwillingness to change. I would call him more passive aggressive. He'll say he wants to change, but can't or won't.

geekinthehood

« Reply #206 on: 6 Dec 2008, 06:37 pm »
I actually don't think it will have as big an impact as we think.

The overwhelming majority of the people who frequent the forum seem incredibly loyal and devoted to Mark and AV123.  I doubt that a forum closure will drive them away if all the product delays, quality issues, etc...didn't do it.

George

I'm not saying it will have a huge impact, but it will have an impact, however small, and it won't be positive. It just seems completely unnecessary to me.

emac

« Reply #207 on: 6 Dec 2008, 09:24 pm »

How's it going?  Haven't been posting on the AV123 forum.  Better for my blood pressure. 

django1

« Reply #208 on: 6 Dec 2008, 09:35 pm »

How's it going?  Haven't been posting on the AV123 forum.  Better for my blood pressure. 

It's too bad, such a fun forum.  I have no idea where to go now.  Any suggestions?

emac

« Reply #209 on: 6 Dec 2008, 10:27 pm »
It's too bad, such a fun forum.  I have no idea where to go now.  Any suggestions?

Here's as good a place as any.  Though, honestly, now that I don't spend as much time posting, I've been listening to more music.  Which is always good.

django1

« Reply #210 on: 6 Dec 2008, 10:44 pm »

Here's as good a place as any.  Though, honestly, now that I don't spend as much time posting, I've been listening to more music.  Which is always good.

Well I have to agree with you there, it can be very time consumming.  When the forum went down I started renovating at my place.  I'd never been on a forum before av123 and I'm hooked.  I feel as if I've made some friends there that I will miss in the case that they disappear.   I feel kind of pathetic but these days with everyone living in their own little world, the forum fills a need for socializing.  I prefer posting to chatting and I enjoy the fact that anyone can come into a thread and add something and off it goes all on it's own!  Anyway, that was my stream of consciousness... 

They're discussing the av123 forum over at Craigsub's forum if anyone is interested.  The majority thinks it's a business problem not a forum problem...

django1

« Reply #211 on: 7 Dec 2008, 12:09 am »
Looks like it wasn't going Craig's way so he deleted the thread... :evil:  Craig is incredible...

emac

« Reply #212 on: 7 Dec 2008, 12:25 am »
Looks like it wasn't going Craig's way so he deleted the thread... :evil:  Craig is incredible...

Interesting.  I looked at that thread about 1.5-2 hrs ago.  May be I missed something, but the tone today seemed civil, and it didn't say anything that hadn't been said elsewhere by a number of people. 

mobileusa

• Industry Participant
  • engulfaudio.com - Audio Dealer
    • engulfaudio
« Reply #213 on: 7 Dec 2008, 12:53 am »
I have a few items to sell once it starts back, then I'm out....

django1

« Reply #214 on: 7 Dec 2008, 12:58 am »

Interesting.  I looked at that thread about 1.5-2 hrs ago.  May be I missed something, but the tone today seemed civil, and it didn't say anything that hadn't been said elsewhere by a number of people. 

It was quite civil.  And there were many good suggestions, especially one by m-fine.  But Craig wanted suggestions to improve the forum.  By and large it was people saying that Mark should tighten up his business practices and the forum would take care of itself.  I get the feeling Craig was looking for suggestions that might lead to his type of moderation:  Lock threads at night, edit peoples posts without notice and delete threads not going your way.  I know Craig and Mark are now business partners, I certainly hope Craig does not have Mark's ear on how to run a forum.  If he does it will be a very sterile place...

In the interest of full disclosure:  Craig banned me from his site after a fairly silly and unpleasant argument we had about a poll he started at av123...

Theogenes

« Reply #215 on: 7 Dec 2008, 01:14 am »
Hey guys!! Good to see ya here!! Ed, sorry I haven't emailed you... I just figured I could go in and read my PMs again whenever I got a chance to reply back :(. Honestly, I agree with many of the sentiments I see here-- I completely understand that the forum has not been the most pleasant place recently, and that some things should probably change, but locking everybody out just seems outlandish to me. I don't get the point... It's a punishment for the people who want to be there, and a vindication for the people who wanted to stir up crap. Sigh... I'm not much on telling people how to run their businesses, and I'm a BIG AV123 and MLS fan, but from my admittedly poor vantage point, it really does seem like Mark would make his life infinitely easier if he would just learn to delegate and hire an assistant. He is an absolutely tremendous person IMO, and I really think he's doing some pretty wrong things with every intention of doing the right things. I have no idea what happened with Ed, and it isn't my business; but I have trouble imagining there was anything done that warranted his temporary suspension from the forum. And my mom has been waiting for a speaker for several months, and finally just asked for a refund recently in order to help finance a new Rocket system, and now she's waiting on the refund too. He is a brilliant, warm-hearted, and outright great person IMO... He just really needs to get a better system for personal organization in place so he can execute on all those great impulses and intentions. Any, just my piece...

Finally got to hear my CI Audio VDA-2 for the first time tonight!! Unfortunately, it's on a pretty low-fi system, so I'm not going to really get to put it to the test until later... I'll hold off on impressions until I have a better idea how it really sounds.

I'll see you guys around... Probably here more than at AV123, unfortunately :(

SetterP

• Dual-Channel Zealot
« Reply #216 on: 7 Dec 2008, 01:51 am »
I am starting to get the feeling that I need to find a new audio forum.  Yesterday's unexpected shutdown left me a little miffed, and quite honestly I am getting tired of the drama involved with the AV123 community.  I have a feeling that I will be spending alot more time here at Audiocircle in 2009, not by choice but out of necessity.  It's just not fun anymore.  No doubt that I will miss the comrade of many of my friends at AV123, but such is life. 

Maybe I can even talk a few of my local friends to jump ship with me, Mutiny on the Bounty style.  aa

BradJudy

« Reply #217 on: 7 Dec 2008, 02:22 am »
SetterP - AC is a nice place to hang out and pretty low on drama (naturally there are isolated incidents).  As much of a hard time as I give the mods here for creating a billion forum areas, I do like how it has worked out for the higher volume off-topic areas like cooking, photography, etc. 

There are a lot of great companies here who make a lot of excellent products.  Equipment recommendations are heavy on the forum companies because of most AC members are customers of one of more of the companies.  That said, it still leads to a wider variety of recommendations than most of the company run forums. 

It's a good place and one of the best balances in an audio forum, IMO. 

SetterP

• Dual-Channel Zealot
« Reply #218 on: 7 Dec 2008, 02:33 am »
Right on Brad.  I've always lurked AC, but I think it's finally time for me to become fully involved here.  I am starting to take my audio training wheels off, and ready to expand my horizons.

By the way, never got a chance to comment, but your pictures from Prague were phenomenal.   :thumb:

Patrick

P.S.  Still owe you a brew at the Brick Store sometime soon. They have Avery Old Jubilation on tap right now, and it's to die for.

emac

« Reply #219 on: 7 Dec 2008, 02:50 am »
I have no idea what happened with Ed, and it isn't my business; but I have trouble imagining there was anything done that warranted his temporary suspension from the forum.

Regarding the temporary suspension, there was never any significant communication that happened behind the scenes.  So, in this case you all know as much as I do.  That's why I basically stopped posting.  Not worth the headaches and high blood pressure, even though I liked chatting with most of the people there.     

I agree w/ BradJudy that AC is a good place to come to.  It's obviously not the same type of close knit community as the AV123 forum, but it's broader in scope, which has its advantages.   

And to mobileusa, you can certainly sell things here.  Works the same way as on AV123.  I'm pretty sure I got my Hawthorne SI's from someone here, and perhaps my Sonic Impact Super T (though I don't remember now). 

Also PM sent to Theogenes about the modded Panny.