VPI Scout

BikeWNC

VPI Scout
« on: 16 Jan 2003, 01:54 am »
Has anyone heard or own this turntable?  It received a glowing review in the Feb. Stereophile.  I've just been given a bunch of LPs from my old college buddies, like several hundred.   :o  I have no idea what kind of shape these things are in as I haven't seen them yet.  I have an old Marantz 6300 TT from the 70s with a Grado gold cart that I've been playing with to reaquaint myself with vinyl.  I would consider upgrading the TT if these LPs turn out to be in good shape.

JoshK

VPI Scout
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2003, 02:04 am »
Play around with the marantz table and see how you like em. The VPI Scout is said to be really good.   How much is the asking, I forget.  VPI's are good but Notingham might be a better equal in the commercial market, then in the non commercial market there is Teres!!  :mrgreen:

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
VPI Scout
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2003, 02:28 am »
Mmmmm. . . Teres.

[/Homer]

Beezer

?
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jan 2003, 04:44 am »
Marbles,

Teres most expensive model with extras will run you $3k or maybe I'm misinterpreting the website.  Is that the "nice one" you're talking about?  I believe you can spend $10k+ on a VPI if you want to shoot the moon.  Entry level for the Teres TT is more like $1.5k (still no arm) and would supposedly be a considerable step up from the Scout.  

Personally, I have my eye on Nottingham...

Beez

JoshK

Re: ?
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jan 2003, 02:27 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
Beez, when you look at the Teres site, and you look at the entry models and the nicest one with all the upgrades, it is like the devil is perched on your shoulder saying "buy the 255 with the lead shot loaded platter"

Exactly!! And on the other shoulder is a picture of your wife going  :nono: !

This is why I waited for a while with the Rega P3 until I get things a bit more settled and I will likely leap to the 255.

nature boy

VPI Scout
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2003, 02:37 pm »
I spent some time looking at turntables in the $1.5 - $1.7K range late last year.  Personally, I don't think you can't go wrong with either the VPI Scout or the Nottingham Interspace.  Both are great tables, overall I'd say the VPI has a slightly bolder presentation with the Nottingham more refined.  That said they make wonderful music!  Keep in mind the Scout requires the purchase of separate IC's as opposed the the Interspace.  There also has been a wait for purchase of Scout tables at most dealers (at least in December, 2002).

The Teres turntables are a significant step up from these two tables.  However, based on my e-mails with Chris Brady he really encouraged me to consider purchasing one of his tables with a shot filled wood base as opposed to one of the all acrylic models (135).  He recently introduced a baltic birch base model (150) or with the lead filled platter (160), which is less expensive than other wood based models.  Chris also mentioned it doesn't look quite as nice as his more expensive (245 & 255 lead filled platter) models, but sounds much better than the 135.

The 150 kit is $1650 the 160 is $2050.  When you add a decent tonearm and cartridge your in the +$2500 price ranges.  As much as I would have loved to buy a Teres, I opted for the Nottingham Interspace and have been extremely pleased.

If you have many hundreds or thousands of albums, listen almost exclusively to vinyl, have other highly resolving components and the scratch, it's tough to beat a Teres, especially with the new motors.

That said, I could not stretch my budget for the Teres and opted for the Nottingham and couldn't be happier.  I figure I can always upgrade to the Teres in the future.

NB

JohnR

VPI Scout
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2003, 03:25 pm »
Don't forget that the "cheap" Teres is the one that built it's reputation.

JohnR

JoshK

VPI Scout
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jan 2003, 03:34 pm »
John,

where are you in the DIY teres project?  I asked somewhere else but it doesn't look like you noticed.

JohnR

VPI Scout
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jan 2003, 03:54 pm »
Hey Josh, erm... :oops: nowhere. I have a "design" for a base that I think I can actually build now. Maybe I'll even start on that this weekend... my DIY time over Christmas kinda got eaten up by unexpected circumstances... ;-)

So here's the idea for the base. Imagine a straight piece of wood 4-5" wide. Then attach another short piece, kinda like a "Y". Drill a hole near where the short peice joins, and put feet on each of the three ends. Make the whole thing about 3" thick.

Think it'll work?

JoshK

VPI Scout
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2003, 04:01 pm »
Quite possibly will work, but it won't give you the mass of the teres base.  I think part of the design relies upon the base being quite massive.  Only way to know is to try.

JohnR

VPI Scout
« Reply #10 on: 16 Jan 2003, 04:15 pm »
Could be. I guess I figure I can make a fancier one later (yeah right!). Check out #3 in the Hall of Fame

http://teresaudio.com/fame/index.html

This is the one that inspired me to build my own base. I like his style :-). Marbs I got the "old" style platter/bearing and motor from Chris, along with an arm. Got a pretty good deal.

J

JoshK

VPI Scout
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2003, 04:38 pm »
I'll probably start by doing my own base too.  Seems easy enough to get one to work, might be harder to make it sound its best.

Beezer

Teres
« Reply #12 on: 16 Jan 2003, 06:01 pm »
Marbles, I'm with you in the sense that I really don't like the look of all acrylic tables in general and the intro Teres does nothing to change that opinion!  I'd want some sort of wood base which puts me at or above $2k.  The Nottingham Innerspace will most likely be my next step unless my tax refund is much fatter than expected.

Natureboy, what arm are you using on your Nottingham?  I'm planning on my current Origin Live modded RB-250 and perhaps upgrade to the OL-1 Silver somehere down the road.

On another vinyl related note, UPS should be delivering my AI M3A preamp, which has a reputedly excellent phono stage, any time now.  I'm hoping for a significant step up over my CJ 10B, which sounded pretty good already.

Beez

JoshK

VPI Scout
« Reply #13 on: 16 Jan 2003, 06:05 pm »
Quote from: Marbles
I wonder how a 2" thick marble bass would be with something like Vibrapods under it?

I don't know, why don't you donate such a piece of marble to me for me to try out?  :lol:

BikeWNC

VPI Scout
« Reply #14 on: 16 Jan 2003, 07:06 pm »
Thanks for the replies, guys.  Right now, I really don't have the funds to buy a good TT.  I think that when these LPs arrive I will buy a decent cleaning machine and see what I've got.  If I can salvage a good number of the records, then I may think about upgrading later this summer.

nature boy

VPI Scout
« Reply #15 on: 16 Jan 2003, 10:06 pm »
Beez,

I am using a VPI modified Rega RB300 arm with a heavyweight and incognito wiring, very similiar to the Origin Live set up paired with a Dynavector 10X4mkII cartridge.  It's a great match recommended by Larry Weinstein of Hollywood Sound.

I also have a Audible Illusions M3A preamp - together with the NA Interspace you are headed for some sheer sonic pleasure my friend.  After you listen to the AI with the stock Sovtek tubes if you just aren't getting the thrill, consider a pair of Tungsram NOS tubes in the line and vinyl stages.  They really took my M3A to the next level.

Cheers to all you vinyl heads!

NB

JoshK

VPI Scout
« Reply #16 on: 16 Jan 2003, 10:17 pm »
nature boy,

I will be using a Mod Rega300 arm w/ incognito, heavyweight and VTA adj'r together with a Dyna 20h.  Very similar.

Beezer

Tungsram tubes
« Reply #17 on: 16 Jan 2003, 10:44 pm »
Natureboy, where did you get your Tungsram tubes?  I already ordered some from a guy on audiogon (NOS, 60's vintage, matched), but feel like I might have paid too much at $70/pair shipped.  Then again, maybe that's a decent deal.  I couldn't find any through the my usual online dealers, so I didn't have a reference.

Thanks,
Beez

nature boy

VPI Scout
« Reply #18 on: 18 Jan 2003, 08:55 pm »
Beez,

I have a local source for Tungsram tubes.  But I did buy a pair off of Pink Floyd on Audiogon about a year ago.  I think a paid $60 for a matched, high testing set.  I still have these in my line stage.

NB