Ric Ocasek passed away

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Ric Ocasek passed away
« on: 16 Sep 2019, 03:15 am »
Sorry to read Ric Ocasek, The Cars guitarist passed away today 15Set2019 at 75 yo in his home in NYC.
RIP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=xuZA6qiJVfU

Phil A

Re: Ric Ocasek passed away
« Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2019, 02:49 pm »
RIP

stlrman

« Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2019, 02:49 pm »
Sad!!
I saw them live !!
I was a big fan in the day.
I am assuming it was a suicide, although I have heard zero about the cause.
I assume this because he had a recent divorce to his long time wife. I am jumping to conclusions, I know .

Wind Chaser

« Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2019, 04:31 pm »
With their debut album The Cars were for me one of those bands at the forefront of the new wave sound. Ric had a very distinctive voice.

MttBsh

« Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2019, 05:16 pm »
As a lover of progressive rock / blues rock I was not a fan of New Wave and couldn't understand how a band like the Cars, with their kind of cheesy sound and lyrics could be taken seriously. They were MTV hits. But as time went on they grew on me. Songs like Moving in Stereo and All Mixed Up are powerful and beautiful.

Sorry to hear that Ric Ocasek went through really difficult times recently which could have affected his will to go on. I am a firm believer that he will soon enjoy a much better life in a much better place.

2bigears

« Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2019, 05:26 pm »
 :D holy moly,, just played his record the other night sorta loudly.  Simple songs and just fun tunes.
          RIP music Man.  You were very cool indeed.  :D

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2019, 05:30 pm »
When I was in high school, I worked at a Home Depot (in Dutchess County, NY).  Ric came in and purchased some items, and I was
cashier.  People at the store told me that he lived nearby and he stopped in every once in a while.  When he handed me his credit card, sure enough it said "Richard Ocasek."   He seemed very cool - just doing his thing.  I didn't ask him about The Cars or anything.  I'm sure that would have been annoying for him. 

RIP, Ric.

Vinnie

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2019, 07:39 pm »
My mother liked his songs when they were popular

I used to confuse Ocasek (band Cars) and Gary Numan (song Cars.)

RIP

stlrman

« Reply #8 on: 16 Sep 2019, 10:32 pm »
I was WRONG!!!
My wife read he had a recent surgery, was recovering and died in his sleep .

decur

« Reply #9 on: 17 Sep 2019, 01:58 am »
Ive seen the cars live at the hartford civic center 7/20/1984 with a bunch of high school friends.
I remember they opened with hello again,and encore was your all i got tonight.
It was a memorable show,and they were amazing,but ric’s voice was so distinctive and special.
R.i.p ric ocasek