Interesting New Mono Blocks From Emotiva

fredgarvin

Interesting New Mono Blocks From Emotiva
« on: 25 Aug 2018, 08:45 pm »
It looks like heck of a deal, with Icepower 300asc module, fully balanced, 140wpc (8 Ohms) / 300wpc (4 Ohms) and a damping factor of 500.

Priced at $299.

Stealth PA-1 monoblock :

https://emotiva.com/products/pa-1

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Interesting New Mono Blocks From Emotiva
« Reply #1 on: 26 Aug 2018, 12:03 am »
Great looking amp.  Obviously a repurposed professional unit.  I'm sure some reviews will soon follow, good find.

JakeJ

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2018, 12:13 am »
And if you don't mind a "factory renewed" unit you can save another $30.

https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/factory-renewed-pa-1

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2018, 12:21 am »
Great amp for home audio if you have a tube preamp,
impressive low price, point to Emotiva, I liked even the name :thumb:

OzarkTom

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2018, 04:01 pm »
  Or couple it with the $56 nobsound passive pre for an incredible cheap monoblock set-up. Even incudes balanced inputs and outputs.This Nobdound passive pre has better clarity than tube pres.  My buddy Rex has replaced his Tortuga passive with this unit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXC9HHW/ref=sxts_kp_tr_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=8778bc68-27e7-403f-8460-de48b6e788fb&pd_rd_wg=mXT3S&pf_rd_r=FZ0MAZM2ZBZC6GJEP9Z5&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B01MXC9HHW&pd_rd_w=fMV6c&pf_rd_i=nobsound&pd_rd_r=37824966-6b70-423a-a080-8c6ab0778573&ie=UTF8&qid=1535299186&sr=2

ngamountains

« Reply #5 on: 26 Aug 2018, 04:36 pm »
My experience with multiple Emotiva products over the last 24 months gives the buyer the added benefit of being able to re-purpose them into paperweights when they fail and Emotiva repeatedly can’t fix them under warranty, though hopefully for any buyers the fact that Emotiva is doing little more than buying an ICE module and screwing it into a case will mitigate that.

ngamountains

« Reply #6 on: 26 Aug 2018, 04:40 pm »
The Nobsound passive pre I have and have thoroughly enjoyed, especially at the price.

ohenry

« Reply #7 on: 26 Aug 2018, 04:58 pm »
My experience with multiple Emotiva products over the last 24 months gives the buyer the added benefit of being able to re-purpose them into paperweights when they fail and Emotiva repeatedly can’t fix them under warranty, though hopefully for any buyers the fact that Emotiva is doing little more than buying an ICE module and screwing it into a case will mitigate that.

Well, if this one fails, they'll just pop off the plugs and install another ICE module.  :wink:

OzarkTom

« Reply #8 on: 26 Aug 2018, 04:59 pm »
The Nobsound passive pre I have and have thoroughly enjoyed, especially at the price.

Rex also has the older Nobsound pre that he paid $39, but says the $56 passiver is slightly better. It has been updated with better parts. I am now using the $39 one. So a future purchase is in the making. :thumb:

And very soon. These monoblocks might be a must purchase also.

fredgarvin

« Reply #9 on: 26 Aug 2018, 05:18 pm »
  Or couple it with the $56 nobsound passive pre for an incredible cheap monoblock set-up. Even incudes balanced inputs and outputs.This Nobdound passive pre has better clarity than tube pres.  My buddy Rex has replaced his Tortuga passive with this unit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MXC9HHW/ref=sxts_kp_tr_2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=8778bc68-27e7-403f-8460-de48b6e788fb&pd_rd_wg=mXT3S&pf_rd_r=FZ0MAZM2ZBZC6GJEP9Z5&pf_rd_s=desktop-sx-top-slot&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B01MXC9HHW&pd_rd_w=fMV6c&pf_rd_i=nobsound&pd_rd_r=37824966-6b70-423a-a080-8c6ab0778573&ie=UTF8&qid=1535299186&sr=2

I'm now using a Nobsound with 3 ins and two outs- one line and one volume controlled. It is so transparent that my tube rig is now on the sidelines. I wasn't expecting that.

Kurtamus

« Reply #10 on: 26 Aug 2018, 05:51 pm »

Huh.  My experience has been different.  I have a pair of UPA-1 monoblocks that I bought in 2011 and they have performed flawlessly with both Vandersteen 1C and Magnepan MMG's and 1.7's.  I bought my sister an XPA-200 stereo amp, she has been powering the Vandy 1C's with it since late 2013 with no issues.  They seem to be a very good value.

Perhaps you got a bad unit, that can and does happen with any manufacturer.  I hope that their service honoring their year warranty is good, it was 5 yrs when I bought the amps mentioned above, don't know what it is now.   

johnto

« Reply #11 on: 26 Aug 2018, 10:20 pm »
I hope they can really do 4 ohms, had a pair of 1L monos with Maggie 1.7's and after about 6 trips to the factory had to get rid of them

ngamountains

« Reply #12 on: 26 Aug 2018, 10:53 pm »
You had even more patience than I did. SA-250 stereo amp here, I threw in the towel after four trips to Franklin for warranty repair. One time I was without it for a month, and when it came back from being repaired it went immediately into protect mode on first power up, before even connecting inputs or speaker cables. The warranty sounds nice until they can’t fix it, and you’re paying shipping one way on every visit. Never again.

ohenry

« Reply #13 on: 26 Aug 2018, 11:39 pm »
... it went immediately into protect mode on first power up, before even connecting inputs or speaker cables...

Running amps without connections can be an issue?  :?

ngamountains

« Reply #14 on: 27 Aug 2018, 12:34 am »
No $h!t Sherlock, but after multiple trips in you try it first with nothing connected to just see it power on, which it would not, so you don't get the "whatever you connected it to was the problem" excuse.  Amp was garbage.

ohenry

« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2018, 01:39 am »
No $h!t Sherlock, but after multiple trips in you try it first with nothing connected to just see it power on, which it would not, so you don't get the "whatever you connected it to was the problem" excuse.  Amp was garbage.

I was hinting that the amp may have gone into fault mode because nothing was connected.  Sorry for the comment.

ngamountains

« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2018, 02:28 am »
No amp should go into protection mode with nothing connected to it, simply by being powered on. 

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #17 on: 27 Aug 2018, 03:20 pm »
Emotiva is cheap gear made in China by various suppliers, there are always risks with this business model.  You can end up with great equipment that lasts for years, or a basket of problems.  The brand name can have anywhere from total to minimal control over manufacturing.  The best companies have company personnel on site at all times monitoring QC/QA, which costs more that spot checking products after they are shipped to the destination country.  I don't know how Emotiva handles this, but there are a lot of product complaints with them. 

On the other hand $299 for relatively high power monoblocks might be worth any small risk.  I was more concerned with the pro connections, doesn't seem like a product that a consumer product company would design themselves and have built for them overseas, like they claim they do.  More likely something picked off a shelf to slap their name on.  I'll bet with a little searching you can buy the same amp with a different name on it for much cheaper.  However with the Emotiva brand you at least have some type of customer service in America, which may be worth it over the non existent C/S you get when sourcing direct from China.

Yun66

« Reply #18 on: 27 Aug 2018, 06:51 pm »
My experience with Emotive has been very positive.  I have owned 5 Emo amps, 2 pre, 1 processor and a DAC.  Only UMC1 processor gave me some problems, but were fixed under warranty.  I gradually upgrated to more expensive brands for my two channels.  But I still have the UMC-1 in my HT setup. I appreciate that Emo made it possible for me to have a chance to enjoy separates on a budget. Considering how much a so called audiophile power cord costs, I'd think $300 for a monoblock amp is a steal!

fredgarvin

« Reply #19 on: 27 Aug 2018, 09:19 pm »
I hope they can really do 4 ohms, had a pair of 1L monos with Maggie 1.7's and after about 6 trips to the factory had to get rid of them

All modules are stable to 2.5 ohms per ICEPower's web site.

Apparently, Emotiva showcased the amps in 2016 at CES and at Axpona.