No Hypex AMP for PS Audio

jhm731

No Hypex AMP for PS Audio
« on: 16 Mar 2014, 06:59 pm »
Paul makes a big decision on the amp-

I have thrown the towel in on the PWM output stage for a reference amp. While I think that if we make a smaller integrated or perhaps a smaller amp for a lower cost it'd be fine. In all honesty, it still sounds terrific and most people would absolutely love what it does and sounds like.

But the reference amp has to be of the same caliber as the DS. And that means it's the best in the world, or as close to that as we can achieve. I don't believe it's currently possible to get there with class D PWM technology at this time. Perhaps later. Maybe even Ted will jump in and make it work. Who knows?

But for now we are taking a different course to get where we need to go. I designed a zero feedback, fully balanced input stage that really sounds incredible. It is a state of the art contender as an input stage and may work as a preamp someday. It's also what we'll probably save out of the amp work for a front end.

But the output stage is still up in the air and I've decided to take a different course altogether (than class D). This is the third course correction so far, on this sea of change for the amp, but with a speaker system as resolving as the IRS, a DAC as open and definitive as DirectStream, there can be no choice if perfection is the goal. Perfection IS the goal. Maybe it's just my age, but I don't want to waste time on something that doesn't kick ass on everything else. Not for the Reference design. Not for the main amp in Music Room One. Not for the amp I want to hang our hats on and suggest you do the same.

I am currently listening to a prototype of just such an amp. A few of you have heard this amp when visiting the Music Room. It isn't yet perfect but IMHO there's nothing even close to it that I've heard. It is a design from an old friend, someone I respect greatly and someone who has better design chops than I. Bascom King.

We're going to marry my input stage with his output stage and that SHOULD give us what we want. All MOSFET, high bias Class A/B, housed in a P10 chassis.

Yes it sets things back yet again. But I am not going to be apologetic. I've beaten myself up enough over this already. Our controller and GM have waved enough fingers in my face about the cost of changing directions so many times and now, to hire an outside consultant ...... start over .... abandon most of what we've done ....... welcome to my world of being a perfectionist on a mission.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: No Hypex AMP for PS Audio
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2014, 07:00 pm »
Please provide the link where this is from.

jhm731

cab

« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2014, 08:14 pm »
Hard to take any of this too seriously. First it was ncore and they were "blown away", then, due to pricing, they were going to take the UcD to new heights, now, class d is out and A/B is in......whatever....

roscoeiii

« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2014, 12:07 pm »
Well, the market and listening tests will tell the tale.

jtsnead

« Reply #5 on: 18 Mar 2014, 04:15 pm »
I wonder if it is similar to the JOB 225

RUR

« Reply #6 on: 19 Mar 2014, 01:47 am »
Perhaps Paul's most apt statement was back in December:

"Bruno is a lot smarter than I am."
http://www.pstracks.com/pauls-posts/grain/12761/

jhm731

« Reply #7 on: 19 Mar 2014, 02:41 am »
Perhaps Paul's most apt statement was back in December:

"Bruno is a lot smarter than I am."

He's now smart enough to know he can't build a reference amp using Bruno's modules.

Shaman

« Reply #8 on: 19 Mar 2014, 10:23 am »
He's now smart enough to know he can't build a reference amp using Bruno's modules.

He tried to make a reference amp using UCD modules (not NCores) and he failed.
In other words, he realized his own limitations; which makes him wiser, not smarter.

cab

« Reply #9 on: 19 Mar 2014, 01:20 pm »
He tried to make a reference amp using UCD modules (not NCores) and he failed.
In other words, he realized his own limitations; which makes him wiser, not smarter.

Exactly. You have to question his definition of "reference" amp when he chooses the UcD instead of the improved ncore.

Regnad

« Reply #10 on: 19 Mar 2014, 08:58 pm »
Exactly. You have to question his definition of "reference" amp when he chooses the UcD instead of the improved ncore.

And, I believe, at a price point under $5000 which certainly leaves out the NC1200.

roscoeiii

« Reply #11 on: 19 Mar 2014, 09:31 pm »
When this PS Audio reference amp is in the world, then it will be possible to listen and compare it to other gear to our hearts' content. Until then, just idle speculation.

Regnad

« Reply #12 on: 19 Mar 2014, 10:28 pm »
I agree, let's just talk about things that exist.

hfxrzw

« Reply #13 on: 22 Mar 2014, 01:06 pm »
So many 'reference' products have come and gone - who cares. Paul is very good at rhetoric, but his products are rarely 'world best'. He keeps up the discussion, whilst products get delivered later and later. But that's his prerogative. Does his network player already plays gap-less.......???

Rclark

« Reply #14 on: 22 Mar 2014, 05:43 pm »
Well, that's too bad..... for PS Audio.

jhm731

« Reply #15 on: 22 Mar 2014, 06:17 pm »
Well, that's too bad..... for PS Audio.

No, it's too bad..... for Hypex.

Rclark

« Reply #16 on: 22 Mar 2014, 10:14 pm »
Hardly.

roscoeiii

« Reply #17 on: 22 Mar 2014, 11:11 pm »
C'mon audiophiles.

Let's applaud any attempt to improve on what is possible from an amp (or any other audio gear). That's how progress is made. If Hypex is pushing the envelope in a way that causes other amp designers to go back to the drawing board? Great. If PS Audio feels that a design that doesn't incorporate Hypex modules can outperform a Hypex design, let's wait and see how their new amp stacks up at that price point. Music Direct carries PS Audio, and has an excellent return policy, so directly comparing the PS Audio when releases with a Hypex or any other amp shouldn't be a difficult proposition.

Pretty simple.

OzarkTom

« Reply #18 on: 22 Mar 2014, 11:46 pm »
C'mon audiophiles.

Let's applaud any attempt to improve on what is possible from an amp (or any other audio gear). That's how progress is made. If Hypex is pushing the envelope in a way that causes other amp designers to go back to the drawing board? Great. If PS Audio feels that a design that doesn't incorporate Hypex modules can outperform a Hypex design, let's wait and see how their new amp stacks up at that price point. Music Direct carries PS Audio, and has an excellent return policy, so directly comparing the PS Audio when releases with a Hypex or any other amp shouldn't be a difficult proposition.

Pretty simple.

Maybe PS Audio will make an American version of the Job amp. :thumb:

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
« Reply #19 on: 6 Apr 2014, 08:10 am »
Ah, this week it seems to be tubes...