The Ed Sullivan Shoe

Mag

The Ed Sullivan Shoe
« on: 10 May 2018, 10:31 am »
Who remembers watching the Ed Sullivan Show, and do you think it influenced your audiophilia? Bands such as the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Doors, Tom Jones, Billy Joel and a number of others I can't recall.

dB Cooper

Re: The Ed Sullivan Shoe
« Reply #1 on: 10 May 2018, 12:50 pm »
Ed Sullivan Shoe, I seee what you did there

Ed Sullivan actually didn't know who the Beatles were when he booked them. (I heard that he was at the airport when they landed, observed the hubbub, found out who they were, decided they would bring monster ratings and booked them. Don't now if this is true.) Interesting story: The Beatles sound crew and the CBS sound crew spent all day getting the sound the way they wanted it. They actually did an untelevised performance with an audience before the broadcast to account for the screaming teenyboppers. They marked all the positions on all the mixing boards with chalk and the two crews went out to dinner together. When they returned, they discovered that a cleaning crew had come in, zeroed everything, and wiped the chalk marks off the boards. They had to put it all back together by memory and seat-of-the-pants.

If I saw the 1964 appearance, I don't remember it, but I do remember watching the premiere of 'Let it Be' on the show. Ed certainly knew who they were then  :lol:

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 10 May 2018, 01:45 pm »
Used to love the show and also many of the variety shows of the day.  I don't even watch much TV at this point (mainly sporting events, news or news magazines).  To me that was the golden age of TV and music.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #3 on: 10 May 2018, 01:58 pm »
Yes, I watched the Ed Sullivan show regularly a long, long time ago. I remember watching that first Beatles appearance. I was a freshman in college on semester break. I also remember thinking where the hell are the horns!!

But I must admit I don't remember that Ed also sold shoes. I guess I missed out.  :thumb:

Gene

dB Cooper

« Reply #4 on: 10 May 2018, 05:26 pm »
Surely you're kidding and remember that Ed pronounced 'show', 'shew'.... right?

glynnw

• I have tin ears.
« Reply #5 on: 10 May 2018, 05:57 pm »
When the Beatles played on his show the first time (having an older sister pretty much guaranteed we would watch it) I liked the music but could not understand why they were standing so far apart.  Before this all groups stayed closely huddled in a small spot on the stage - the Beatles used the entire stage.

Roninaudio

• I don't necessarily agree with everything I say.
« Reply #6 on: 10 May 2018, 05:58 pm »
He "banned" the Doors after one performance as they agreed to change the lyrics of the song and Jim sang the correct word(s) anyway "higher".  Not sure about the Stones appearance.  The Beatles was nuts...Always wondered what a crazy life that would of been for 4 young guys...

Wind Chaser

« Reply #7 on: 10 May 2018, 06:06 pm »
Not sure about the Stones appearance.

Sullivan sanitized "Let's Spend The Night Together" into "Let's spend some time together".

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 10 May 2018, 06:15 pm »
Used to love the show and also many of the variety shows of the day.  I don't even watch much TV at this point (mainly sporting events, news or news magazines).  To me that was the golden age of TV and music.

My exact sentiments Phil.

charles

ohenry

« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2018, 08:24 pm »
It's fun to see the old shows (really, really big shoe  :lol:).  I watch during the week on an OTA tv channel.  The Doors were on yesterday and Ed was not a happy boy.

mjalazard

« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2018, 10:02 pm »
He suffered from Ankylosing spondylitis...a neck condition.
If you watch his mannerisms, he does not turn his head that much...he had to move his head and shoulders together.
M

MttBsh

« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2018, 10:13 pm »
He "banned" the Doors after one performance as they agreed to change the lyrics of the song and Jim sang the correct word(s) anyway "higher".  Not sure about the Stones appearance.  The Beatles was nuts...Always wondered what a crazy life that would of been for 4 young guys...

I realized what an arrogant phony Sullivan was when he demanded that bands change their lyrics, and I was deligted when Morrison spited him by yelling "higher!" anyway. Of course Sullivan told him the Doors would never perform on his show again... I think Jim was OK with that.

Clearly, Sullivan wanted to look "hip" by being the first to get cool bands to perform on TV, but insisted they change their lyrics to accomodate his family-friendly format. Can't have it both ways!

OzarkTom

« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2018, 12:29 am »
I still get a kick watching fake Ed and the fake Beatles locally in Branson. :thumb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykbhBtkvD28

Our family watched Ed Sullivan every week.

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2018, 12:50 am »
Surely you're kidding and remember that Ed pronounced 'show', 'shew'.... right?

Yep, I was kidding!  :thumb:

But I still want to know what you really did with all that money. :green:

Gene

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #14 on: 11 May 2018, 12:52 am »
Ed also insisted that Elvis "the pelvis" Presley be filmed only from the waist up.  :duh:

Gene

OzarkTom

THROWBACK

« Reply #16 on: 11 May 2018, 12:08 pm »
I was on the Ed Sullivan Show three times with the West Point Glee Club back in the 50's. Fun.

Once was with Kim Novak. We didn't know who she was at first. During the early afternoon we were sitting in the audience waiting for our rehearsal time and this frumpy blonde in a shapeless gray sweater was wandering around snapping pictures. "That's Kim Novak," somebody whispered. "THAT's Kim Novak???" Instantly about 80 cadets fell out of love and stayed that way as we watched Miss Novak screw up her scene from "Picnic."

That night, however, as we stood on the risers about to sing, those of us on the top row could see down into her open-topped dressing room. Now she was dressed in a slinky black dress, perfectly coiffed, turning this way and that in front of her mirror, looking like a million bucks. A low whistle from our group brought a dazzling smile. We all fell in love again and I still am.

Oh yeah.: she played her scene perfectly.

Randy

« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2018, 04:17 pm »
Ed Sullivan Shoe, I seee what you did there

Ed Sullivan actually didn't know who the Beatles were when he booked them. (I heard that he was at the airport when they landed, observed the hubbub, found out who they were, decided they would bring monster ratings and booked them. Don't now if this is true.) Interesting story: The Beatles sound crew and the CBS sound crew spent all day getting the sound the way they wanted it. They actually did an untelevised performance with an audience before the broadcast to account for the screaming teenyboppers. They marked all the positions on all the mixing boards with chalk and the two crews went out to dinner together. When they returned, they discovered that a cleaning crew had come in, zeroed everything, and wiped the chalk marks off the boards. They had to put it all back together by memory and seat-of-the-pants.

If I saw the 1964 appearance, I don't remember it, but I do remember watching the premiere of 'Let it Be' on the show. Ed certainly knew who they were then  :lol:

Sure I watched all those rock stars on Ed Sullivan beginning with Presley in prob. 1956.  The "Let it Be" performance was a bit of a disappointment because it was filmed. They had stopped doing live appearances by then, but CBS hyped it cunningly almost as if they'd be live on stage to perform it, but they weren't.  Minor detail, according to CBS.

Randy

« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2018, 04:21 pm »
I was on the Ed Sullivan Show three times with the West Point Glee Club back in the 50's. Fun.

Once was with Kim Novak. We didn't know who she was at first. During the early afternoon we were sitting in the audience waiting for our rehearsal time and this frumpy blonde in a shapeless gray sweater was wandering around snapping pictures. "That's Kim Novak," somebody whispered. "THAT's Kim Novak???" Instantly about 80 cadets fell out of love and stayed that way as we watched Miss Novak screw up her scene from "Picnic."

That night, however, as we stood on the risers about to sing, those of us on the top row could see down into her open-topped dressing room. Now she was dressed in a slinky black dress, perfectly coiffed, turning this way and that in front of her mirror, looking like a million bucks. A low whistle from our group brought a dazzling smile. We all fell in love again and I still am.

Oh yeah.: she played her scene perfectly.

Wow, that's going way back, circa 1955? Great story. I never cared much for Kim Novak, but what did I know, since I was a dumb little kid at the time. We (my sisters and I) weren't allowed to go to the show when "Picnic" was playing. Too adult. Wow, have times ever changed.