DIY SPEAKON CABLE FOR ACTIVE SUBWOOFER

OSIB16

DIY SPEAKON CABLE FOR ACTIVE SUBWOOFER
« on: 15 May 2018, 07:58 pm »
Jeff I have been happy using the DIY Subwoofer Interconnect that you sold me a while back, comprising of Neotech NEI-3002 MKI wire combined with Eichmann Bullet plugs. Unfortunately, I am soon going to be using a different Preamp which doesn’t have RCA Subwoofer connections. Therefore I am forced to use a DIY Neutrik Speakon Cable to connect my Sub. Which is the best wire (Brand/Thickest Gauge) would you recommend that I use for this project? I understand from our previous telephone conversations that you favoured Stranded wire for the best bass. I was considering using 12 Gauge stranded copper. Not sure of the brand though? The thicker - the better? I’m looking for the deepest controlled bass possible. Jeff, what are your thoughts on this matter? I would be interested in hearing your feedback.

Speedskater

• Kevin
Re: DIY SPEAKON SUBWOOFER CABLE
« Reply #1 on: 15 May 2018, 08:13 pm »
Is the sub self-powered? and this cable connects the main amps speaker level output to the sub's input that it amplifies?
Or does this cable connect a stand-alone sub-amp to a passive sub speaker?

OSIB16

Re: DIY SPEAKON SUBWOOFER CABLE
« Reply #2 on: 15 May 2018, 08:41 pm »
It’s an active subwoofer.

Is the sub self-powered? and this cable connects the main amps speaker level output to the sub's input that it amplifies?
Or does this cable connect a stand-alone sub-amp to a passive sub speaker?

WC

Re: DIY SPEAKON CABLE FOR ACTIVE SUBWOOFER
« Reply #3 on: 15 May 2018, 08:45 pm »
Speakon connections on an active sub is odd. I could see XLR. Speakons are not usually used as interconnects.

OSIB16

« Reply #4 on: 15 May 2018, 09:07 pm »
High Level Input

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #5 on: 15 May 2018, 09:12 pm »
Although the sub's input is at speaker level, it's a voltage signal input, the sub's amp generates the power. So a 24AWG (or larger) twisted pair is all that's needed.

WC

« Reply #6 on: 15 May 2018, 09:38 pm »
Although the sub's input is at speaker level, it's a voltage signal input, the sub's amp generates the power. So a 24AWG (or larger) twisted pair is all that's needed.

2 sets of twisted pairs from the amp speaker outputs. One pair from the Left and one form the right.

OSIB16

« Reply #7 on: 15 May 2018, 09:41 pm »
Here is an old 4 Pin Neutrik Speakon subwoofer cable/connector. As you can see it uses 3 wires. It appears to use 18 AWG wire approximately.
I was under the impression that 12 AWG wire would be more beneficial.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #8 on: 15 May 2018, 10:26 pm »
If the cable from the amp output is driving a (low impedance) speaker voice coil then yes 12AWG would be much better.
But in this case, the cable is just sending voltage (not power)(high impedance) to the sub's amplifier, so as small as 24AWG is just fine. (anything much smaller would be fragile and might break)

OSIB16

« Reply #9 on: 15 May 2018, 11:27 pm »
Speedskater,
                   Ok sounds logical. However the best Speakon cable from Russ Andrews uses 13AWG for the Red and Yellow. But for the Black it uses 10AWG. The link is below. This is confusing...

http://www.russandrews.com/8tc-cable-for-rel-subwoofer-cut-stripped/

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #10 on: 15 May 2018, 11:29 pm »
A lot of strange stuff there.
It seems that the USA, Europe and UK pages are different.
Can't you find a better supplier?

OSIB16

« Reply #11 on: 15 May 2018, 11:54 pm »

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2018, 12:49 am »
Speedskater is correct, but I would use 18ga.

OSIB16

« Reply #13 on: 18 May 2018, 11:47 am »
Jeff, that gauge sounds a bit small. What's the fattest gauge that I could successfully use for a Subwoofer Speakon cable? How come Kimber is using 13AWG for this, if it's too large for this purpose? Theoretically (in this area) the larger the wire, the better the signal and bass response

Speedskater is correct, but I would use 18ga.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: 18 May 2018, 08:00 pm »
I never said anything was too large for this application.  But, before answering your question, I should ask two questions.  What will the length of the cable be?  What is the input impedance for the high level input you plan to use?

BTW, what sub do you have?

OSIB16

« Reply #15 on: 19 May 2018, 12:37 am »
Not sure about the input impedance. However, the length of the cable needs to be 5 meters. The subwoofer is a BK Monolith.

Jeff

• Facilitator
  • Test...
    • Sonic Craft, Inc.
« Reply #16 on: 19 May 2018, 06:23 am »
Why indeed :dunno:

I can only leave you with this.  If you were driving a 4 Ohm sub with 300W, the speaker cable to the sub would carry ~35V at ~8.66A.  If your full range amps are pumping out 300W into 4 Ohm speakers, and you have them connected to the high level in to the sub (100K), that cable will be carrying ~35V at ~0.00035A.  That is why 24ga would work.  But, 5m is fairly long, and 18ga is more physically robust.

OSIB16

« Reply #17 on: 19 May 2018, 11:30 am »
Jeff, ok so 18 Gauge Stranded it is. I trust your judgement :thumb: