Lampizator Amber 3 NOS or new Tube Alternatives

fado

Lampizator Amber 3 NOS or new Tube Alternatives
« on: 24 Oct 2019, 09:41 pm »
I will be getting the Lampizator Amber 3 DAC which uses "a ECC99 super tube as input amplifier, in a zero feedback, single ended triode mode, as well as ECC82 as low impedance output buffer." I don't know the exact tubes Lampizator supplies with this DAC but there is always the temptation to find something better - either new or NOS but online I find the following listed equivalencies:  ECC99 = 6N6P ~ E182CC Russian Double Triode Tube, 6N6P / 6Н6П, 6N30P-DR. Do these codes seem correct?

Also for the  ECC82.

dminches

Re: Lampizator Amber 3 NOS or new Tube Alternatives
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2019, 12:30 pm »
For ECC99s you would want to try 12BH7s.  That's what I use in my Doshi pre-amp.

I would suggest your confirm this with Fred or Lukasz.

Audiophile58

« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2019, 03:11 am »
Hello I own a Amber 3 and have modded it with premium caps, Belleson regulators tube upgrades
And the New Synergistic Orange 3.1amp Slow fuse a nice upgrade to a very good dac.
You cannot use  12Bh7 , it isnot a drop in replacement my friend is a 40 year vacuum tube amp- preamp designer,builder.  Power supplies may be totally different , the Ma, transaconductance is different .
He didnot recommend it so I didnot want to disturb the circuit. The 12au7 you can upgrade
It comes with a ok Phillips late 70s early 80s . Mazda  make some nice ones or older hollandAmperex  since you only need one $150  for a good one ,and the Synergistic tube for sure .
I just bought the hot usb cable from Serbia that they use in the a Pacific it is around $850 retail
But Very natural better then anything under $1k +for sure  and a great power cord is a must if you want to get the most outof it .Ask Rob . Triode Audio cables makes a killer digital 10:cable for $450 with the upgraded a Furutech connectors , just replacing fuse,12au7 tube, power cord  , and usb cable will make a Huge difference
Across the board.

dminches

« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2019, 03:22 am »
Hello I own a Amber 3 and have modded it with premium caps, Belleson regulators tube upgrades
And the New Synergistic Orange 3.1amp Slow fuse a nice upgrade to a very good dac.
You cannot use  12Bh7 , it isnot a drop in replacement my friend is a 40 year vacuum tube amp- preamp designer,builder.  Power supplies may be totally different , the Ma, transaconductance is different .
He didnot recommend it so I didnot want to disturb the circuit. The 12au7 you can upgrade
It comes with a ok Phillips late 70s early 80s . Mazda  make some nice ones or older hollandAmperex  since you only need one $150  for a good one ,and the Synergistic tube for sure .
I just bought the hot usb cable from Serbia that they use in the a Pacific it is around $850 retail
But Very natural better then anything under $1k +for sure  and a great power cord is a must if you want to get the most outof it .Ask Rob . Triode Audio cables makes a killer digital 10:cable for $450 with the upgraded a Furutech connectors , just replacing fuse,12au7 tube, power cord  , and usb cable will make a Huge difference
Across the board.

No offense to your friend but I would ask Lukasz since he designed the DAC.

Audiophile58

« Reply #4 on: 4 Nov 2019, 03:25 am »
Also pin out is different .i had a toggle switch installed to use the 6n6p  ifi wanted to ,it is a bit softer leading edge the ecc%99 for the pin out is different on the center pin has to run 3 wires to get to operate
No power will go to the tube without the mod. The ecc99 is very good and Lucasz matched it very good.
Euro tube   you can get select Ecc99 JJ Triode matched,gain and gold pins for around 35, $45 for their select version .
Brent Jesse recording has a lot of very good 12au7 tubes , the good ones are around $150 each
Butt this circuit runs very easy on the tube less then 30% of max .

Audiophile58

« Reply #5 on: 4 Nov 2019, 03:33 am »
Lukasz doesnot recommend it or he would mention it as an option . I emailed him .
My friend  knowss tube circuits . Before saying anything just look up each tube and compare specs
The design parameters donot match,a preamp is a totally different circuit then a dac dac is a much lighter load
I have been working with tubes for 40+ years . Anything you do Thst is not listed as a drop in replacement
Is not covered under warranty just keep that in mind.

dminches

« Reply #6 on: 4 Nov 2019, 03:36 am »
The pin outs for the 12BH7 and ECC99 are identical. I own a Doshi Audio line stage and tape stage and use 12BH7s instead of ECC99s in both.

Rusty Jefferson

« Reply #7 on: 4 Nov 2019, 04:11 am »
Hello I own a Amber 3 and have modded it with premium caps, Belleson regulators tube upgrades ........
I think it's safe to say you've voided your warranty on your dac by replacing capacitors and regulators.

In another thread started by the same OP, I suggested he not worry so much about rolling the tube in the gain stage, but rather just roll the Cathode follower/output tube.

Eventually, Rob and or Fred will see this thread and get to the bottom of it.

Audiophile58

« Reply #8 on: 4 Nov 2019, 04:24 am »
Having an expert Vacuum tube designer friend leaves little worry about warranty .i have been upgrading
Speakers and electronics for over 20 years  ,unless you can afford the Pacific dac Everything,
In Audio is built to a price point.on average 25% or less goes into the parts which leaves a ton of options
To upgrade your sonics in multiple areas. Check out this USBcable this is the Hot ticket Rob and Fred
Liked so much they are the U.S distributor.

https://www.finaltouchaudio.com/usb-cables

Gopher

« Reply #9 on: 4 Nov 2019, 12:14 pm »
We don't really encourage tube rolling in the Amber and certainly don't encourage the modification of our units.  While you may be able to alter things in a way that you personally prefer, we believe the Amber to be voiced very well from the get go, shipping with quality tubes.

It is also difficult to support the opening of a sealed chassis without clearing it with us.  This is unlike our "tube rollers paradise" or DHT series with external tube access.

I'd encourage you to give it a listen stick and contact us directly if there are tube issues or concerns.

Best,

Fred A.

Audiophile58

« Reply #10 on: 6 Nov 2019, 11:58 am »
Having 40 years of tube knowledge I can safely say what are tops in a specific tube
Configuration . Lukasz says the Premium JJ -Ecc 99 close matched with gold pins well worth the Monies ,on the ecc82-12au7 50s,and 60s are the Best Brent Jesse Audio has a great selection of premium NOS tubes, on Rectifier the Bendix 6x5 is about the best ever made
Sylvania,Tungsol were very respectable . Herbies tube dampers are a added plus for microphonics , as well as good feet . The new Synergistic -Orange 3.1amp slow blow 20 mm is a must for added resolution you have to turn over unit to remove fuse from the back
And writing left to right on the fuse willbe facing to the Left when upside down to be in the Positive part of the circuit, and a verygood power cord Triode Audio Labs
Digital big American is the best cord IHave used under $1k and is only $499 to bring out the best in your unit.
I am just telling you what works exceptionally well , for a USB cable just Ask Rob or Fred
The Final Touch Audio Callisto UsB,and Interconnects, are Great and priced very fair for $850  USB just read the reviews
Once in your Lampizator it will be its New home !!

Kalali

« Reply #11 on: 17 Nov 2019, 07:23 pm »
We don't really encourage tube rolling in the Amber and certainly don't encourage the modification of our units.  While you may be able to alter things in a way that you personally prefer, we believe the Amber to be voiced very well from the get go, shipping with quality tubes.

It is also difficult to support the opening of a sealed chassis without clearing it with us.

Best,

Fred A.

I completely understand and agree with this premise as long as it applies to units that, 1) are still under warranty, or 2) the owners have access to the same exact replacement tubes that the unit came from the factory. For those of us who own (Amber) units with tubes that are pushing 5-6 years of age or even older, are we expected to ship our units to the factory for a simple tube replacement? Even if they were shipped with the best tubes and voiced very well from the get go, the tube(s) can fail or deteriorate over time. Just trying to understand the process and the ownership experience, especially for folks who can't afford to buy these great sounding units at their respective new prices.

Audiophile58

« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2019, 05:08 am »
The rectifier tubes 6x5gt Sylvanis Black staggered  plates ,I am using and sound great.in my Amber3 dac.for sure these can be upgraded ,as well as NOS 12au7  1950sD getters like the Amperes. Are excellent ,for more neutrality Siemen Halsky, or Telefunken smooth plate ,the US has plenty Rca black  plates  D getters ,clear tops ,just to name a few.

Audiophile58

« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2020, 01:14 pm »
For the 6x5 rectifier tube I have a bunch of new variants ,and I had just bought a set of old Amperex 12ax5 direct drop in replacement the Holland tubes are very much detailed and balanced. I have 8 or newTurngsol staggered plate ,military rca The Amperex pair
Even turnstile 6 x4  if interested $100 + shipping .

Audiophile58

Amber 3 - SE build
« Reply #14 on: 21 Mar 2020, 01:23 pm »
If in the market for a Amber 3 check out my Custom Amber 3 -SE dac for sale .
Mine was taken to a much higher level ,just to show what is possible when no expense
Was spared. Taxes are coming and I am looking to go possibly to the Golden gate model or close to. This is a golden opportunity to obtain a premium cost no object premium build  For less then the cost of a stock model bought from Lampizator last July.