Conflicts with Apple Remote - Solution

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
  • Handcrafted high performance audio
    • Tortuga Audio
Conflicts with Apple Remote - Solution
« on: 30 Nov 2017, 02:37 pm »
Tortuga Audio uses the silver Apple remote as the remote control for our preamps. Some customers have reported problems when they also own an Apple device, such as an Apple TV (small black hockey puck device) that also uses the Apple remote. The typical symptom is the Apple device responds to the Apple remote used for their preamp. 

I also own an Apple TV unit. I've also experienced the Apple TV responding to the remote that I use with my Tortuga Audio preamp. On the other hand, my preamp does NOT respond to the Apple remote used to control the Apple TV. What's going on here?

I recently got to the bottom of this problem which really shouldn't be happening in the first place but it does. First, each Apple remote has an ID number which is a number between 0 and 255 (256 possible ID's). You can even change the ID of any Apple remote if 2 or more happen to have the same ID. So in theory you could have 255 Apple TV's plus a Tortuga Audio preamp all using Apple remotes with no conflicts. So what's the trick?

By default, any Apple TV will respond to any Apple remote until it's explicity paired up to a specific Apple remote. Once you pair a given Apple TV with a specific Apple remote the Apple TV will ignore any other Apple remote (or at least all other Apple remotes that don't have the same ID). This pairing process is essentially the same thing we have programmed into all Tortuga preamps. The difference is our preamps ignore ALL Apple remotes by default until such time as they are paired to an Apple remote. Quite the opposite of Apple's approach.

The fix is in:  Explicity pair your Apple device (Apple TV et. al.) with its Apple remote. After that it will ignore the Apple remote used with your Tortuga preamp :thumb:

WC

Re: Conflicts with Apple Remote - Solution
« Reply #1 on: 30 Nov 2017, 03:18 pm »
For me using a harmony remote, which number code is Logitech using? Guess I will try to find out. Right now I can select the apple TV in the list of components.

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #2 on: 30 Nov 2017, 03:34 pm »
For me using a harmony remote, which number code is Logitech using? Guess I will try to find out. Right now I can select the apple TV in the list of components.

The harmony remote would have to emulate the silver Apple remote. If that's an option (Apple TV) it should work.

WC

« Reply #3 on: 30 Nov 2017, 04:20 pm »
Yes, the harmony remote does emulate the AppleTV remote. You plug the Harmony remote into the computer to set it up. I have the apple TV set up on it, but I just have to check if it allow selection of different Apple TV remote codes.

Randy

« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2017, 09:01 pm »
Morten, my Apple "device" is an iMac sitting on a table five feet from my listening position. Obviously, a Mac computer isn't suppose to respond to an Apple remote, but it does. It comes out of sleep when I use the remote for the preamp, and makes funny noises when I use the volume control. I think it's also trying to change its volume but  not sure. It makes a funny "boink" sound.

Edt: I tried it pointing directly at the computer. It will function as a volume control on the computer and tries to open iTunes. All this doesn't bother me that much, but I just don't like it in general as a preamp remote control.
« Last Edit: 7 Dec 2017, 05:27 am by Randy »

tortugaranger

• Facilitator
    • Tortuga Audio
« Reply #5 on: 5 Dec 2017, 04:52 pm »
Morten, my Apple "device" is an iMac sitting on a table five feet from my listening position. Obviously, a Mac computer isn't suppose to respond to an Apple remote, but it does. It comes out of sleep when I use the remote for the preamp, and makes funny noises when I use the volume control. I think it's also trying to change its volume but  not sure. It makes a funny "boink" sound.

Ed: I tried it pointing directly at the computer. It will function as a volume control on the computer and tries to open iTunes. All this doesn't bother me that much, but I just don't like it in general as a preamp remote control.

I suspect that if you acquired a second Apple remote and deliberately paired it with your MAC, that your MAC would then only respond to that remote and ignore the Tortuga Apple remote. That would be consistent with the Apple TV which responds to any Apple remote until it's paired with one and then it ignores all others but the one it's paired with.

Not ideal I agree.

Randy

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2017, 05:26 am »

I suspect that if you acquired a second Apple remote and deliberately paired it with your MAC, that your MAC would then only respond to that remote and ignore the Tortuga Apple remote. That would be consistent with the Apple TV which responds to any Apple remote until it's paired with one and then it ignores all others but the one it's paired with.

Not ideal I agree.

Thanks, Morten. It's not really that big a deal. Just a little annoying, but not worth picking up another remote I'd never use after the first go around. I am due for a new Mac in Jan. so maybe that will be a fix.