Anyone running SS preamp to tubed amp

meby

Anyone running SS preamp to tubed amp
« on: 9 Aug 2018, 07:08 pm »
I have run tubed pre amps to SS amps but never vice versa.  Thinking of maybe trying the SS pre to tubed amps anyone have experience with this?

Wayner

Re: Anyone running SS preamp to tubed amp
« Reply #1 on: 9 Aug 2018, 09:05 pm »
I am. I prefer the mix over all tube. But that is just me.

Slam

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2019, 01:44 pm »
I do as a matter of convenience because it is what I own, I.e. I have no choice. I use a Belles pre in to a 45 amp. Would love to try a tube pre  but can’t justify the cost right now. Sounds great to me anyway.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2019, 04:09 pm »
I use a SS preamp and a hybrid power amp. Could it be that the odd order and even order harmonic distortions complement each other?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2019, 04:25 pm »
  I use a hybrid preamp with tubed power supply and SS output and SET amps.

charles

guf

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2019, 08:01 pm »
I use a 45 tube amp and Passive Tortuga pre.  I love the idea lately of only have one tube component to really get the purity out of that tube. I'd like to experiment more.

roscoe65

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2019, 08:46 pm »
I use a 45 tube amp and Passive Tortuga pre.  I love the idea lately of only have one tube component to really get the purity out of that tube. I'd like to experiment more.

Unless your Korneff has a different input (I know that Oliver sometimes adds a pentode) you really want a preamp with some gain.  I don't think you are getting all the dynamics you could using a passive.  The Yamamoto with its 717A input (and my own 421A) can be used source-direct due to higher gain.

RPM123

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2019, 09:25 pm »
I do and it works great!

Mr.Retro

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jan 2019, 02:44 am »
After years of running a tube pre amp in front of tube amps I switched to a  SS pre amp. ( this past year )   I have been pleased with the move.

rotarius

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jan 2019, 03:51 am »
Yes, done this many times with ss and passive preamps.  The first reaction was always like hey, it's more punchy or sounds cleaner (with a passive).  Leave them in there for a bit and then realize it sounds a bit flat, more 2D and at times uninvolving.  Switch back to a tube preamp and all is well again.
I prefer to stick to a tube preamp and rotate in tube and ss amps.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #10 on: 5 Jan 2019, 12:02 pm »
Conventional wisdom says to put tubes in the preamp (lower cost for tubes that last longer) and solid state in the power amp (to provide higher damping factor, less bass bloat plus less electrical power use and waste heat generated). 

OTOH some bass weak speakers benefit from bass bloat, although that's mixing two sets of colorations, which goes against my better judgement.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #11 on: 5 Jan 2019, 07:23 pm »
Unless your Korneff has a different input (I know that Oliver sometimes adds a pentode) you really want a preamp with some gain.  I don't think you are getting all the dynamics you could using a passive.  The Yamamoto with its 717A input (and my own 421A) can be used source-direct due to higher gain.

It may not be the gain. With a passive it is key to have a DAC or CD player with min 2V output preferably 3V or more. The input sensitivity of amp in critical as well Low less than [1] is desirable.

charles

geowak

« Reply #12 on: 5 Jan 2019, 11:13 pm »
I have two separate audio systems. One is a SS preamp to a SS amp. The other is a tube integrated, meaning preamp and amp section is both point to point wired tubes. I like both, but prefer the tube sound but have never mixed them.

guf

« Reply #13 on: 6 Jan 2019, 08:15 pm »

It may not be the gain. With a passive it is key to have a DAC or CD player with min 2V output preferably 3V or more. The input sensitivity of amp in critical as well Low less than [1] is desirable.

charles

I talked about it with Oliver. He suggested direct was great. If I had a active pre I'd use it. I do have a 4p1l that I used and I thought it sounded better going direct. I always wanted to try the Tortuga so I picked one up. I mostly want a volume knob instead of a digital slider on the computer.  Thus the reason for some kind of volume,  I'm very happy with the sound. But open to trying a active pre more suitable.