Dell Inspiron 8600 w/XP to Dac - firewire or USB, converter ?'s

mr_bill

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 running XP and the 8600 has both firewire and USB outputs.
I am using J River Media Jukebox.

I would like to run my laptop as a CD Transport to my Theta Gen VIII.

Is J River fine to use as a software and do I need the ASIO drivers also?  I see that in playback on the J River software that it has ASIO (presumably for downloading the ASIO drivers and a direct sound checkbox.   Do I upsample in the software or let the Theta do the upsampling?

I will also need a converter.  Is it better to output via firewire or USB from the Dell?  From what I can gather it looks like Firewire is the better choice?

Either way, I'll need to find a converter to output SPDIF or AES to the Theta.

I've read the Empirical Audio website and also Computer Audiophile but am still left with these questions.

Any suggestions will be very appreciated!
« Last Edit: 7 Jul 2008, 03:54 am by mr_bill »

audioengr

Dell is notoriously bad for USB.  A reviewer for Positive-Feedback tried all kinds of USB converters with his Dell.  They all caused pops that could not be eliminated. 

Maybe Firewire would be better, but not sure.

Steve N.

cryoparts

Dell is notoriously bad for USB.  A reviewer for Positive-Feedback tried all kinds of USB converters with his Dell.  They all caused pops that could not be eliminated. 

Steve N.

I finally gave up trying to use my Dell laptop as a music server.  Ended up with a Mac that I use just for music server duty.  But, I have an older Inspiron series, maybe the new ones are better.

Hell of a durable laptop, though.

Peace,

Lee

mr_bill

Steve N.

Do you think that is more of a Dell USB XP problem - maybe Vista is a better choice and I should look at an upgrade?

I don't know how XP is for music versus Vista with J River Media Jukebox.

cryoparts

Steve N.

Do you think that is more of a Dell USB XP problem - maybe Vista is a better choice and I should look at an upgrade?

Hmmm...good question.  My laptop has XP on it, not Vista. 

Steve, any idea?

Lee

Brucemck

One month ago I purchased a brand new Dell laptop, their top of the line, Vista with 2gb memory, etc., and it would not work as a music server via USB.  Very disappointing.

Gave to my daughter and ended up with a new Toshiba to replace it, which works well.

audioengr

Steve N.

It's the Dell laptops, and I believe the problem has to do with interrupt servicing.  I have customers using Dell desktops with no problems.  May depend on the model though.

XP is great for music, and really more versatile than Vista.  They are both fine though.  Vista requires a bit more set-up for changes in output and sample-rate.  I unmap the device with XP.  They can both use Foobar or Jriver and SRC for upsampling.

Steve N.

Imperial

• Love keeps us in the air, when we ought to fall.
I had a look at this problem as my own laptop also would "click" ... s-s-stutter the file or what you call it.

I did the following on my Asus F5R... (A long story this, but I'm a detailfreak so...  :oops:)
I have Vista, so of course I have turned off shadowcopy!!!
I use a program called Ram Idle Pro that forces the windows core to remain in memory, hence lowering the
HD load of the OS, also it forces the core to unload any not at the moment used DLL libs.
Also it forces executables to remain in RAM, hence not running from the HD either.
I have INDEXED all my drives! And this is where I found things started to get interesting.
After indexing ALL files on my computer, no click!!! None!!! using the usb ports suddenly was a bliss!

Perhaps the Dell user should try to index his drives.
I have my foobar set at 1750ms read buffer, Full file buffer: 256Kb ,Asio4all driver of course.
Thread priority: 7 (highest setting) - (in preferences)
Thread priority at 8 in windows core, Normal if you will. (compatibility modus  = XP SP2 )
A bit of tweaking could be required to get everyting smooth, overdoing a buffersize I suspect will only add to
seek times for a HD - So "just so" I guess is better than "biggest possible".
I have my HD set for "performance" in it's setting. Also "checked" the option for "indexed"
I have my system set for "programs  - priority"
But one might try "background services - priority" also. Who knows what will work best.
And I use Raxco perfectDisc 8 defragger, I'm sure it helps at least a bit towards the sum of things.
I suspect Dells are more than normally difficult to set up.

So, how did I test the progress in this tweaking? Very important note this!
I started foobar and hit play, obviously!
With the music playing I'd try to do lost of tasks and listen for clicks as I tweaked the settings.
Some times after a while the click would re-appear.. if I shut down tasks the clicks would cease..
But after a while, and doing all above described I can start tons of extra programs, using the browsers I
can bog down the CPU with youtube vids (on silent - but nonetheless!) start and stop stuff...
Doesn't really matter, the output from foobar is dead stable!
It didn't come easy!! It was a bit of work!
I had to completely uninstall all audio drivers and re-install also, in sequence, to hunt the problem to death.

You know, drivers a date-signed, that is they are made at some date or the other.
Most of the time the newest driver is the best but not always, some times you can get... conflict between them!
I suppose that is the interrupt problem right there. Dell could be somewhat bad at this, I don't know.
Depending on the level of skill, of course, one could also try to load different driver generations to see if this will help.
Now this is of course getting really ... you need to know what you are doing, but still, one can learn this!

Now I don't have a Dell, but I did have Clicking!!! No more!
This could work for a Dell, who knows? Try it!

Imperial

« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2008, 04:11 pm by Imperial »