dAck! mods blow-by-blow

audioengr

dAck! mods blow-by-blow
« Reply #40 on: 22 Nov 2004, 10:52 pm »
The Bass extension is about equal to my reference, the P-3A.  The dAck!  is AC-coupled, so this is very dependent on the value of the coupling capacitors.

xero

ack dac
« Reply #41 on: 30 Nov 2004, 12:57 pm »
steve

have you had any comments or reviews on any Ack mods?  would love to hear from someone one there impressions of the improvements.

thanks
xero

audioengr

dAck! mods blow-by-blow
« Reply #42 on: 30 Nov 2004, 05:12 pm »
The first customer is just now powering it up.  Give him a week to let it break-in.

duff138

dAck! mods blow-by-blow
« Reply #43 on: 30 Nov 2004, 05:26 pm »
It seems that these 2 units, the P-3A and  The dAck! are designed using different philosphies.  One using up-sampling the other a non-sampling DAC.  Can you compare or descibe how this effects the sound of the modded units.  Are they very different in the way they produce a music?  Would a particular songs sound different through each DAC?  or would it?

audioengr

dAck! mods blow-by-blow
« Reply #44 on: 1 Dec 2004, 06:00 am »
The P-3A and dAck! are actually more alike than different after they are both modded.  The main difference that I could hear (and I have not had that much time to break-in the dAck!), is that the P-3A images a bit better, with more 3-D soundstage.  This is probably due to the fact that it is DC-coupled where the dAck! uses coupling caps.  

The P-3A may have a bit smoother highs as well due to the upsampling.  Some people claim that upsampling does more damage than good, but I have not found this to be true with this particular DAC, and with the Crystal chipset in general.

audioengr

Re: ack dac
« Reply #45 on: 6 Dec 2004, 05:47 pm »
Quote from: xero
steve

have you had any comments or reviews on any Ack mods?  would love to hear from someone one there impressions of the improvements.

thanks
xero

It seems that the first customer must use it with a passive linestage.  The output is too low for him on the stock design, so it may need some revising to up the amplitude.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
dAck! mods blow-by-blow
« Reply #46 on: 10 Dec 2004, 05:49 pm »
OK, so I've decided to go with an Ack dAck! to add to my S7700.  

If I only have $500 to add for mods, where would it be best invested, to mod the transport or the DAC?

Thanks for the advice.

audioengr

dAck! mods blow-by-blow
« Reply #47 on: 10 Dec 2004, 06:26 pm »
Quote from: JLM
OK, so I've decided to go with an Ack dAck! to add to my S7700.  

If I only have $500 to add for mods, where would it be best invested, to mod the transport or the DAC?

Thanks for the advice.

I would recommend the Transport first.  If I mod the DAC and the transport is stock, it will not be as good.

srclose

dAck
« Reply #48 on: 10 Dec 2004, 08:58 pm »
Must say that I've committed the cardinal sin of changing more than one thing at a time in my system.  I won't be able to provide a description of the modded dAck until after Steve increases the output and everything is set up again.  Probably mid Jan.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
dAck! mods blow-by-blow
« Reply #49 on: 11 Dec 2004, 12:30 am »
Thanks for the reply Steve.  I just picked up a slightly used stock S7700 (0B), in fact it was still breaking in when I received it!

Fripp

dAck! mods blow-by-blow
« Reply #50 on: 14 Dec 2004, 04:32 pm »
Steve, how does your modified dAck! compare to the stock Benchmark?

audioengr

dAck! mods blow-by-blow
« Reply #51 on: 14 Dec 2004, 06:22 pm »
Quote from: Fripp
Steve, how does your modified dAck! compare to the stock Benchmark?

Good question.  I  have not put them head-to-head yet, but I believe that the Benchmark still has the best top end of any DAC I have heard.  The "weight" may be a bit better with the dAck!

I will try to find time today to do a quick comparison.

Barry

dAck! mods blow-by-blow
« Reply #52 on: 28 Feb 2005, 04:25 pm »
Any chance to compare the dAck! 2.0?  Is it good?  There is a "Ultra Resolution Option" with high speed output coupling cap.  Any comment?

I'm thinking about dAck! 2.0 with the USB interface powered by the battery as well.  Sound like a cost effective way to leverage the dAck! battery to avoid any noise from power source.  Is it feasible?  Are they same voltage?

Any suggestion whether it require superclock to sound good.

audioengr

dAck! mods blow-by-blow
« Reply #53 on: 28 Feb 2005, 07:16 pm »
Quote from: Barry
Any chance to compare the dAck! 2.0?  Is it good?  There is a "Ultra Resolution Option" with high speed output coupling cap.  Any comment?

I'm thinking about dAck! 2.0 with the USB interface powered by the battery as well.  Sound like a cost effective way to leverage the dAck! battery to avoid any noise from power source.  Is it feasible?  Are they same voltage?

Any suggestion whether it require superclock to sound good.

The dAck2.0 I have not heard yet.  The modded dAck! is sounding really excellent now, with the addition of the V-Cap coupling caps.  It is very close to my P-3A reference.  Look for some reviews from customers shortly.

As for battery power for the Off-Ramp, it requires 12V.  I do not believe the batteries in the dAck! are 12V, but I could be wrong.  I dont thing you would want to drain them too unevenly anyway - there are two batteries in the dAck! to drive the +/- voltage for the op-amps. I have plans for a separate battery box for the Off-Ramp and I have tried a battery on it.  It is definitely a bit better.  It will appear as an option on the website in a couple of weeks.  I played the modded dAck! (with V-caps) and a battery powered Off-Ramp Turbo for my wife the other night and she thought it was the best she had ever heard from the system.

As for Superclock, the dAck! is not an upsampler, so there is no clock in it.

xero

first report on ack mod
« Reply #54 on: 29 Mar 2005, 09:33 am »
Ack dAck Review

This is very difficult in that I have never reviewed a component before and I like the rest of you are tired of hearing the typical comments used for describing the character of an audio component.  At the same time I feel that in order to give the complete picture of the components
Character I will have to give a little bit of background of system, beliefs on the reproduction of sound.

By profession I am a commercial photographer based in Los Angeles and as a result of my professions adoptions of digital technologiesI find that there is quite a bit of overlap with both digital sound reproduction and digital imaging. (photography)

Background

I have been involved in the high-end for about 15 years.  I started off with a tube only system and went to a biamp tube solid state, which has evolved to the current solid state all digital system.  The reason for the change from tube to solid is that I became tired of the tube chase.

Currently the system consists of 47 labs Flatfish, pure power battery supply for the Flatfish, Ack dAck w/ battery (reason for review), Bent Audio TVC, Pass Labs Aleph 2 monoblocks, and Vienna Acoustics Mahler speakers.  I would describe my sound as very open detailed dynamic without being harsh.

The Ack dAck circumstance

My quest for great digital sound started 8 years ago with the purchase of a Bow Technologies zz-8.  Great analog sounding player but I thought that there might be more that I might be able to pull out of the elusive silver disc.  This is where my photography background comes into play.

As I started to understand film scanning I found that scanning at the optical resolution of the scanning device.  Not interpolation get it all off with out the addition of guess data.  So with this information I started to investigate the non-over sampling filterless dac.  At the same time everything that I read suggested that AC lines were very detrimental to good digital sound.  That led me to the Ack.  The Ack is
Inexpensive and when I found one on Audiogon it was to good of a bargain.  I figured that if I did not like it I would be able to sell it again and get my money back.  I was floored !!  The sound in combinations to with the Bow was better then I could have ever expected.  I called Chris Owen (Mr. Ack dAck) to ask if he was modding the Ack. He said no told me Steve @ Empirical Audio was planning a mod for the Ack.  After which Steve started the Ack forum on the audiocircle site.  I had some question about the mod and even made a trip to CES to listen to the modded Ack.  Right about this time Chris Owen announced the new Ack 2.0, which made for very inexpensive dAcks on the used market as people were upgrading in the 2.0.  I decided to purchase another used Ack and send it up to Steve to mod while continuing to listen to my original dac.  This aloud me to compare the 1.2d version with Steve's modified 1.2d.

Sound

Finally, to the part you all have been waiting for.  The sound…  I had been eagerly waiting notification from Steve that the precious cargo was on its way.  First I must commend Steve on his knowledge and patience.  I have some not traditional ideas and he listened and accommodated me with his time and knowledge.  Again the sound…
I know that the upgrades require a break in time but right out of the box the new and improved unit smoked the original.  Much greater depth and width.  The textures of the bow on the strings of the violin were clearly audible. But not in a way that makes that the important feature.  The completeness of the music was never disturbed in order to bring out or emphasis individual aspects of the music.  I currently have approx 60hrs on the unit and it’s going through its growing pains.  although they have become less noticeable over the last 20 hrs.  as i have listened i have heard the dac change sound.  the mid bass would get thick  and the top end extenstion would not be there.   but when it came back it sounded incredible.  I will update in a couple of weeks as i put more time on the unit.  if there are any other questions that i can answer feel free to ask.

TheChairGuy

dAck! mods blow-by-blow
« Reply #55 on: 29 Mar 2005, 03:55 pm »
Hey xero, thanks for the input on the modded Ack! Dack.  I especially think your digital photography experience relates well to audio...and your thoughts on OS interpolation is cause for some serious thought.  Tho, I am still quite happy with Steve's work last year on my MSB system.  

Don't be fooled by the patience Steve has....that's really his lovely wife with a gag on his mouth in the background :wink: .  The knowledge is his, however.

Have you ever used (good quality - not the crap they sell you in Ritz Camera) optical lens cleaner on your CD's....I use Kodak's and it's a cheap tweek, but I've found as laser tracking gets better it's less and less useful over the years.