I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.

Philistine

Re: I test drove a Tesla 3 this morning.
« Reply #240 on: 8 Jun 2019, 05:20 pm »
A friend just got a 3... Dual motor AWD performance, 0-60 in 3.2s. I drove it, it's very impressive, especially acceleration under ~60 mph! The suspension isn't as good as some dedicated sports cars, but provides a great balance of compliance and support for aggressive driving. GM's ‎meteriorohological damping suspension systems used on their Caddies and sports cars is far superior, but few will care or notice at all... for what it is, it's very well done.

IMO it is the ultimate town-car and commuter car, you get any level of acceleration any time without noise or tire squeal, the Michelin Pilot Sport tires in 235/20 are excellent tires and provide massive grip for the car. On the highway and from stop lights you'll never have to worry about getting around traffic to make a turn or accelerating to merge.

Very cool car...

My local ICE dealership handles BMW, Audi & Porsche - they didn't see Tesla as a threat but now do, my local Tesla dealerships rear parking lot is full of traded BMW's,  My lowly standard Model 3 has the same 0-60 time as the BMW i8 and the i3 is an embarrassment to be seen driving (what were they thinking of), the Performance versions -0-60 time is in Audi R8, Ferrari and Lambo territory!  While BMW are getting their act together Tesla are working on the next generation Model S and X, launching the Y next year, Roadster plus a truck.  The semi has an unladen 0-60 of 5 seconds and 20 seconds fully loaded, along with a range that meets 90% of daily truck mileages.  I'm not an Elon Musk fanboy but he's certainly been a welcome disrupter in the stagnating auto industry....

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #241 on: 8 Jun 2019, 06:00 pm »
My local ICE dealership handles BMW, Audi & Porsche - they didn't see Tesla as a threat but now do, my local Tesla dealerships rear parking lot is full of traded BMW's,  My lowly standard Model 3 has the same 0-60 time as the BMW i8 and the i3 is an embarrassment to be seen driving (what were they thinking of), the Performance versions -0-60 time is in Audi R8, Ferrari and Lambo territory!  While BMW are getting their act together Tesla are working on the next generation Model S and X, launching the Y next year, Roadster plus a truck.  The semi has an unladen 0-60 of 5 seconds and 20 seconds fully loaded, along with a range that meets 90% of daily truck mileages.  I'm not an Elon Musk fanboy but he's certainly been a welcome disrupter in the stagnating auto industry....

Honestly, I'd take a BMW i3 or Chevy Bolt over a Tesla 3. The T3 is a very cool car but it's overkill for what it is, basically the resources it takes to make a T3 could be used to make 2 other EVs that work just fine with half the battery and one motor. There is significant environmental impact to motor and battery production and imo using double the required motor and battery results in a car that no longer has any sort of environmental cred.

The other reason is the Tesla isn't a good sports car. It doesn't have the suspension and driving dynamics of a sports car, nor can it handle a beating on the track.

I'd take a smaller, less costly and less powerful EV for a daily driver or commuter (if I didn't work from home and live within biking distance of everything I need) along with an ICE-powered real sports car. 

IMO Elon's biggest contribution is making EVs cool, not for making EVs that are practical and environmentally friendly. But I can see the appeal and if you love driving a Tesla then buy one. They are very cool. :)

artur9

« Reply #242 on: 8 Jun 2019, 09:17 pm »
i3 is an embarrassment to be seen driving

Hey, now, you're going to give my i3 a complex!

The real problem with the i3 is the gangster doors.  What were they thinking?!

audioengr

« Reply #243 on: 8 Jun 2019, 10:01 pm »
Honestly, I'd take a BMW i3 or Chevy Bolt over a Tesla 3. The T3 is a very cool car but it's overkill for what it is, basically the resources it takes to make a T3 could be used to make 2 other EVs that work just fine with half the battery and one motor. There is significant environmental impact to motor and battery production and imo using double the required motor and battery results in a car that no longer has any sort of environmental cred.

The other reason is the Tesla isn't a good sports car. It doesn't have the suspension and driving dynamics of a sports car, nor can it handle a beating on the track.

I'd take a smaller, less costly and less powerful EV for a daily driver or commuter (if I didn't work from home and live within biking distance of everything I need) along with an ICE-powered real sports car. 

IMO Elon's biggest contribution is making EVs cool, not for making EVs that are practical and environmentally friendly. But I can see the appeal and if you love driving a Tesla then buy one. They are very cool. :)

I think Elon is on the right track.  There are different environmental impacts.  The things that are damaging the entire planet and an existential threat to all living things are CO2 and Methane, not rare-earth metals and Lithium.

Just say no to ICE.

Steve N.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #244 on: 8 Jun 2019, 11:40 pm »
If I could afford a Tesla 3 today,  I'd buy one..
 :thumb: :popcorn:

JakeJ

« Reply #245 on: 9 Jun 2019, 02:35 am »
^
+1!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #246 on: 9 Jun 2019, 03:38 am »
^
+2!

And I’d cover the roof of my home with Tesla’s Invisible Solar Cells!  8)

Emil

« Reply #247 on: 9 Jun 2019, 11:34 am »
More focus should be placed on hybrids. Proven technology with existing infrastructure ( gas station on every corner)
All electric cars are just not ready for prime time. Technology may be there but not infrastructure. Recharge time would also need to be drastically shortened
If we can increase hybrid sales up significantly, we should be in good shape until all electric vehicles are feasible.
2% is pathetic but one can see why when shopping you'll find the hybrid version more expensive than the all gas version
I'm averaging 58mpg with my Prius :D

audioengr

« Reply #248 on: 9 Jun 2019, 02:48 pm »
If I could afford a Tesla 3 today,  I'd buy one..
 :thumb: :popcorn:

You can't afford $25K?  This is what a demo model 3 costs.

audioengr

« Reply #249 on: 9 Jun 2019, 02:55 pm »
More focus should be placed on hybrids. Proven technology with existing infrastructure ( gas station on every corner)
All electric cars are just not ready for prime time. Technology may be there but not infrastructure. Recharge time would also need to be drastically shortened
If we can increase hybrid sales up significantly, we should be in good shape until all electric vehicles are feasible.
2% is pathetic but one can see why when shopping you'll find the hybrid version more expensive than the all gas version
I'm averaging 58mpg with my Prius :D

Gas on every corner?  How about an outlet in every garage.  This is a no-brainer.  The electricity in the garage can even be from solar panels that charge a Power Wall.  No cost at all.

Superchargers are only used when I go on vacation, and they are available every 100 miles.

Charging time is a non-issue for commuters because you charge at night.  On vacation, you get 300-400 miles per hour charge rate at Superchargers.  You need to get out and stretch or eat every 150 miles anyway.  Vacation is no time to be in a hurry.

Teslas get almost 100 miles per gallon equivalent depending on electricity rates and driving conditions.

There is no reason not to consider a Tesla.  Hybrids still pollute and add to Global Warming.

Steve N.

stlrman

« Reply #250 on: 9 Jun 2019, 03:18 pm »
I see the price as starting at 35 grand . So loaded 40 grand ?
I assume the are charging station on the Pa. turnpike at every rest stop?

Emil

« Reply #251 on: 9 Jun 2019, 03:25 pm »

Maybe it's time to revisit the Tesla once the lease on my Prius ends
https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/tesla/model-3

Just a note, the 'superchargers" Steve N speaks of are for Tesla cars only

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1121919_tesla-model-3-gets-supercharging-v3-first-how-about-75-miles-of-range-in-5-minutes

srb

« Reply #252 on: 9 Jun 2019, 03:31 pm »

According to Clean Technica

"The big deal in the resulting figures is that the analysis has the Model 3 average selling price (ASP) at more than $59,000. That’s a hefty chunk of change, far more than the eventual $35,000 base price, and even buoyantly more than the $42,000 ASP that Tesla CEO & Chairman Elon Musk previously said he expected the Model 3 to settle on."

Emil

« Reply #253 on: 9 Jun 2019, 03:42 pm »
According to Clean Technica

"The big deal in the resulting figures is that the analysis has the Model 3 average selling price (ASP) at more than $59,000. That’s a hefty chunk of change, far more than the eventual $35,000 base price, and even buoyantly more than the $42,000 ASP that Tesla CEO & Chairman Elon Musk previously said he expected the Model 3 to settle on."

a check with local dealer inventory have models in the 53k range

Philistine

« Reply #254 on: 9 Jun 2019, 04:00 pm »

Superchargers are typically located at Sheetz in the area, but not exclusively, here's an interactive map:
https://www.tesla.com/supercharger
Tesla Superchargers are 'interactive' you get a live update on the number of charging stations and how many of these are occupied/available. Here's a recent live screenshot:

I haven't travelled east on the PA Turnpike but have travelled on the Ohio Turnpike, they're currently installing generic chargers.
In addition to Superchargers you can use regular chargers also (with an adapter), Superchargers are exclusively for Tesla and use a proprietary charging plug that reads your VIN number and connects to your online Tesla account.  Because of the crazy high charging rates they don't recommend using Superchargers as the only charging process as this can negatively impact on the battery life - Model 3 batteries are guaranteed for 7 years/120k miles.  As Steve mentioned, the norm is to charge overnight at home and they recommend charging to 80 - 90% capacity for battery health and battery regenerating capability (you miss out on free energy if the batteries full).  A latest software upgrade pre-heated the batteries when on route to a Supercharger on order to have the batteries conditioned to accepting optimum charging rates, 

In addition to the expiring Federal State tax there's a PA AFV (Alternative Fuel Vehicle) rebate of $1750 if your invoice price is below $60k.

Photon46

« Reply #255 on: 9 Jun 2019, 04:20 pm »
Gas on every corner?  How about an outlet in every garage.  This is a no-brainer.  The electricity in the garage can even be from solar panels that charge a Power Wall.  No cost at all.

Superchargers are only used when I go on vacation, and they are available every 100 miles.

Charging time is a non-issue for commuters because you charge at night.  On vacation, you get 300-400 miles per hour charge rate at Superchargers.  You need to get out and stretch or eat every 150 miles anyway.  Vacation is no time to be in a hurry.

Teslas get almost 100 miles per gallon equivalent depending on electricity rates and driving conditions.

There is no reason not to consider a Tesla.  Hybrids still pollute and add to Global Warming.

Steve N.

Just to play the devil's advocate for a moment, I'd suggest that an electric vehicle isn't quite as environmentally righteous as some suppose. It's been noted that because of the greater carbon emissions required to produce an electric car, they are only about 20% less carbon polluting over the lifetime of the vehicle. (20% is a significant improvement certainly.) I just point that out because I've met more than a few electric car owners who think the carbon differential is greater. Here's a link to details if interested. Yes I know the Guardian is very left of center. I linked to that particular studies referral to allay suspicions that only right of center climate change deniers would publish such a thing.  :lol:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2017/dec/25/how-green-are-electric-cars

As to Steve's point about Superchargers availability every 100 miles, that's only true in certain areas and transportation corridors. I looked at Tesla's map last week and was noted how Superchargers are limited to Interstate corridors in parts of the southern US. In large swaths of the American west, it's a similar story. I imagine availability will continue to improve as electric vehicles become more common. To some degree, the availability of Superchargers is a map of affluence in the US.

Philistine

« Reply #256 on: 9 Jun 2019, 05:02 pm »
Just to play the devil's advocate for a moment, I'd suggest that an electric vehicle isn't quite as environmentally righteous as some suppose. It's been noted that because of the greater carbon emissions required to produce an electric car, they are only about 20% less carbon polluting over the lifetime of the vehicle. (20% is a significant improvement certainly.) I just point that out because I've met more than a few electric car owners who think the carbon differential is greater. Here's a link to details if interested. Yes I know the Guardian is very left of center. I linked to that particular studies referral to allay suspicions that only right of center climate change deniers would publish such a thing.  :lol:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2017/dec/25/how-green-are-electric-cars

As to Steve's point about Superchargers availability every 100 miles, that's only true in certain areas and transportation corridors. I looked at Tesla's map last week and was noted how Superchargers are limited to Interstate corridors in parts of the southern US. In large swaths of the American west, it's a similar story. I imagine availability will continue to improve as electric vehicles become more common. To some degree, the availability of Superchargers is a map of affluence in the US.

Thanks for sharing that, it's one of the few reports I've seen that includes all of the energy supply chain.  There's a multitude of Tesla forums and most owners confess that saving the planet isn't the principal motivation for buying one, it's the fun/performance/technology benefits - taking the forthcoming Roadster as an example: it outperforms the Bugatti Veyron (acceleration, range) at a price of $250k vs $3million respectively.  If you trickle this down to other models similar comparisons with equivalent ICE's also exist.

The best option, from an environmental perspective, is solar.  My house will need a new roof in the next few years and I've done the following rough calculations to install solar tiles (based on Tesla Power estimates):

Solar Tiles (60%) Regular Tiles (40%) - $85k
Tesla Power Wall (Battery) - $10k
Total Installation Cost - $95k
Cost Savings - Tax Credit $21k, Energy generated (30 years) $54k
Total Savings - $75k.
TOTAL COST ($95k - $75k) $20k

Cost of regular roof - $20k.

So, for me, the numbers currently don't excite me enough to go solar.  The incentive needs to be much higher than this....

Emil

« Reply #257 on: 9 Jun 2019, 11:20 pm »
 Now, I watch the news three times a day on 4 different networks

May I suggest you cut back on that. I guarantee you'd be a happier, less stressed person.

BTW, Texas has 12 Tesla dealerships :D
Maga hat wearers like electric cars also :lol:

audioengr

« Reply #258 on: 9 Jun 2019, 11:34 pm »
Now, I watch the news three times a day on 4 different networks

May I suggest you cut back on that. I guarantee you'd be a happier, less stressed person.

BTW, Texas has 12 Tesla dealerships :D
Maga hat wearers like electric cars also :lol:

So why would a baby that is smoking lung-cancer causing addictive cigarettes be cute or funny?

Emil

« Reply #259 on: 9 Jun 2019, 11:40 pm »
So why would a baby that is smoking lung-cancer causing addictive cigarettes be cute or funny?

It's an e-cigarette