How much clearance does a Fetvalve amp need in my cabinet?

jackman

I recently purchased a new cabinet that has thick glass shelves.  There is lots of ventilation because the cabinet is open on all sides (except for some aluminum posts on each end) however, it only allows for about a quarter inch clearance between the top of my amp and the glass shelf above it.  The heat sinks are okay because I have the amp pushed in far enough to let them poke out the rear of the cabinet, however the part of the amp with tubes only has about a quarter inch clearance.  

It appears that most of the heat is dissapated through the heat sinks, however the part that houses the tubes still gets a bit hot.  Could this cause a problem?  How much clearance do you recommend?  

Thanks,

Jack

PS - I moved the system to a new outlet because of room placement.  The new outlet is controlled by a switch because it used to be for a lamp.  Whenever I turn off my amp or preamp a large "thump" is emitted from the woofers.  It's powerful enough to cause me some concern.  What could be causing this?  Could it damage my system?  And, how can I stop it?  It never happened on the old outlet.

Jack

pjchappy

Order
« Reply #1 on: 9 Sep 2003, 12:57 am »
In what order do your turn your system on. . .

You shouldn't use the switch to turn it on/off at the same time. . .

Pre-amp on first; amp second
Amp off first; pre-amp second

p

jackman

How much clearance does a Fetvalve amp need in my cabinet?
« Reply #2 on: 9 Sep 2003, 01:05 am »
I don't use the switch to turn it on and know about turning on the amp last and off first.  The outlet is controlled by a switch that I leave in the ON position.  I tried it again and the pop wasn't too bad.  

Jack