Is it important to have a dedicated power conditioning or power center?

cwt108

I am currently using a cheap version of monster power center for my system.
Is it important to have a better power condition center???
If it is, what is your suggestion? or your experience?

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
I think it is, but them I am biased.  Not only am i justifying my latest purchase (which UPS will deliver on Monday) the Audience Adept Response AR12, but I will then have my nice pair of PS Audio P300 Power Plants (one of them Multiwave II) for sale....not this thread.   I believe in ac conditioning, and both active and passive methods are out there working well in many installations.  Dan's wonderful tubed analog stages and preamps are sonic works of art, and deserve good clean well-regulated ac.  It will help lower the noise floor and help reduce ground hums, etc.

BRILEY804

You would be better off with having dedicated outlets if you dont have them already as right now your outlets are tied in with other outlets/switches in the house.       

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
You would be better off with having dedicated outlets if you dont have them already as right now your outlets are tied in with other outlets/switches in the house.       

A dedicated circuit won't isolate your components from the noise coming from within your house. Household noise will still make it thru to your dedicate circuit via the breaker box. Power conditioning is the only way to totally isolate your system imho. You could run a separate breaker box tho,,,, that is another possibility but even then, there's still a good possiblity for crappy power from the line itself.

Cheers,
Robin

modwright

I would recommend dedicated outlets and a power conditioner.  It isn't always possible or feasible to run dedicated lines, but this is ideal.  Even with dedicated lines, I would still recommend a power conditioner.  I own a Running Springs Jaco and think that it is fantastic.  It doesn't add or color the sound, but makes for a VERY black background by filtering out all AC noise on the line, be it from the mains entering the house or noise generated within the house power system.

Clean power is CRITICAL.  Isolated lines give you protection and separation inside the house power.  The line conditioner filters out noise that is present on the power mains entering the house.

Just my $0.02.  We don't produce power conditioners ourselves of course, but I am well aware of the need for clean power.

Take care,

Dan W.
« Last Edit: 4 Jan 2008, 04:55 am by modwright »

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
I would recommend dedicated outlets and a power conditioner.  It isn't always possible or feasible to run dedicated lines, but this is ideal.  Even with dedicated lines, I would still recommend a power conditioner.  I own a Running Springs Jaco and think that it is fantastic.  It doesn't add or color the sound, but makes for a VERY black background by filtering out all AC noise on the line, be it from the mains entering the house or noise generated within the house power system.

Clean power is CRITICAL.  Isolated lines give you protection and separation inside the house power.  The line conditioner filters out noise that is present on the power mains entering the house.

Just my $0.02.  We don't produce power conditioners ourselves of course, but I am well aware of the need for clean power.

Take care,

Dan W.

RESPECT!     :thumb:

teros1

• Take control, use DSP
    • Bay Area Audiophile Society
Some suggestions for AC conditioning:

• Isolate your video stuff, both electrically and physically. Do this, and many problems go away. I use inexpensive Tripp Lite gear for this. The higher-end Monster stuff is good too.
  • Plug your power amp(s) into the wall. In my experience, most other approaches reduce dynamics.
  • Use separate conditioning for preamps and sources (i.e., not the same box as the video).
  • Buy gear that is properly grounded internally. If you don't, you'll never keep the noise out.

I could go on, but these things are key. (I also have a 20A dedicated circuit, which has some house noise but lots of power.)

Hope this helps.

Bob

cwt108

Just upgraded my power supply from Monster 3500 to Running Spring Haley Kit. What an improvement !!! It seems a different system to me. Could not image the improvement if I could upgrade my LS 36.6 with PS 36.5.

Need to work my butt of for that upgrade !!!

Dan -- appreciate for your suggestion and great works on all of your products.

Wayner

modwright

I do feel that a power conditioner is very important. 

Running Springs is what I use - a Jaco - and I have to say that I feel that Running Springs produces THE FINEST products in this regard.  They clean the AC without limiting current or coloring the sound.  They do what an ideal power conditioner should do, which is to simply eliminate spurious noise from your AC power and protect your gear against surge and line fluctuations.

Congratulations on the Running Springs purchase!

RE the PS 36.5 upgrade for the LS 36.5, it REALLY is significant and demand has exceeded my expectations.  We are currently backordered and I am having new metalwork done for the next production run.

We will be showing with the LS 36.5/ PS 36.5 combo at T.H.E. Show at Alexis Park, along with our Transporter for Digital and SWP 9.0SE fed via a VERY custom Redpoint Model A - ModWright Blue, anodized, faceted and polished, like the 'Spoiled Child' Model D that Peter Clark showed with us at RMAF '07.

Good things ahead for the new year as we work to complete the ModWright system.  We currently provide digital and analog source gear and different levels of preamplifiers.  Short of speakers, power conditioner and cables, there is one product left that we need, to complete the All-ModWright system ;).

Stay tuned!

Thanks,

Dan

cwt108

Dan,

I am also thinking about Jaco since it has more plugs (8 of them) than Haley. However, my understanding is that Jaco is supplied with 20 amp and Haley is with 15 amp. 15 amp is what my apartment uses. Is it possible that I could still use Jaco while my power line is at 15 amp??? Do I need a special power cord to make it work?

Everyone is welcome to teach me a lesson or two.

modwright

Hi, first of all, the Jaco is a BRILLIANT piece.  It is sold with a 20A power cord that fits the unit, for connection from the wall to the Jaco, so no worries there.  I have found nothing better in the way of AC line conditioners and mine travels with me to all the shows we do.

Take care,

Dan W.

BrianM

At $2200 it had better be brilliant.  That's roughly the cost of...of a Modwright 9.0!  I wonder how many people are reconciled to spending on their power conditioner what they paid for their preamp.  Maybe they could just go buy some $4400 preamp instead?

cwt108

Dan,

So in other words, Running Spring Jaco will work fine with my current 15 amp power plugs without any concerns(since it is lower than 20 amp). Or if I "do" have a 20 amp power source, Haley will not work because it is only 15 amp.

Correct???

modwright

I will defer the final answer of this to the folks at Running Springs, but what I can tell you is that the 20A IEC on the Jaco is mated with a cable that has the right connection and the wall plug will fit either 15A or 20A outlets as the prongs are the same.  The outlets on the Jaco do not require 20A terminated power cables.

As far as max current draw, etc., and other technical issues, please contact Running Springs.  I am not a dealer nor am I affiliated with them.  I am simply a very happy owner of a Running Springs Jaco.

Take care,

Dan W.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Dan,

So in other words, Running Spring Jaco will work fine with my current 15 amp power plugs without any concerns(since it is lower than 20 amp). Or if I "do" have a 20 amp power source, Haley will not work because it is only 15 amp.

Correct???

I am not Dan or pretend to be, but here are the answers to your questions:

1.  A Jaco will work fine with a 15amp wall outlet or circuit...it doesn't "require" a 20 amp circuit to function.  Your gear that you are plugging into the Jaco can be connected via a 15 or 20 amp power cord.

2.  If you have a piece of gear that uses a 20 amp power cord, you can connect it to a Haley and things will work fine.

George