How bout modding an Onkyo SP1000 Universal Player?

merc

« on: 12 Apr 2005, 04:41 am »
Dan,

I realize that you already have in place a wonderful mod for my Denon 3910, BUT, without the mod, IMO, the Onkyo is so much better sounding that I am hesitant to get rid of it in order to send you the Denon 3910. Please understand that I do not doubt that your modded unit will be a pentultimate sounding unit, and much better than  the unmodded Onkyo, BUT, I am simply wondering if doing a Truth Tubed mod on the Onkyo might actually produce a potentially even better result?

Are you open to me sending you my Onkyo SP1000 Universal player instead of, or in addition to, my Denon 3910, to see if a Modwright mod to the Onkyo might be a world killer exceeding even the Modwright 3910?

Just wondering.... :)

John B

« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2005, 02:59 pm »
I don't know Merc, it doesn't look like there's much room inside the 1000 to do much modding.

Inside the 1000:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-x2pRQcmrXkQ/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=54400&id=morephotos&pi=5&i=580DVSP1K&display=L#Tab

dnd

« Reply #2 on: 15 Apr 2005, 11:59 pm »
merc,

Also, the Wolfson DAC used in the Onkyo is rumored to be obsolete (with a much more advanced replacement due soon), and it converts DSD to PCM (if that means anything at all(probably not)).

The DSP in the 3910 is more flexible too with Time alignment and Bass management (with multiple crossover points) available for both SACD and DVD-A (although BM for SACD in the 3910 does a DSD->PCM conversion).

Nevertheless, the "look/touch/feel" factor of the Onkyo/Integra is first rate at any price point.  Hefty too.

modwright

Onkyol...
« Reply #3 on: 16 Apr 2005, 03:38 am »
I appreciate your asking, but I am afraid that my plate is much too full right now and I just can't take on any new mods projects.  I don't doubt that the Onkyo is very good, but I have to pick my projects carefully these days.

Thanks,

Dan