ModWright Instruments: SWL 9.0 Linestage Release Notes!

guest1632

Re: Thank you.
« Reply #60 on: 29 Oct 2004, 11:21 am »
Quote from: modwright
Well first of all, thank you for the input.  I didn't know that that many people had more than four sources.  I figured that people may have a 2CH CD/SACD player, a DVD player that does double-duty in HT, tuner and either tape or phono.

It really would not be diffiicult to convert the tape/monitor jacks to another set of inputs, on a custom basis.  It would just require a couple of jumpers.

Please comment - anyone interested - so that I can tell if four inputs is not enough for most.

Thanks,

Dan

guest1632

Re: Status and Updates:
« Reply #61 on: 29 Oct 2004, 11:27 am »
Hi guys, just to keep those in the loop, who are waiting...

The machine shop is about two weeks out still on chassis and my hands are tied until then.  I will be shipping pre-orders and upgrades to Beta customers first.  The first run of 50 units is moving fast already.

Revisions from the first two prototypes and that used at CO include addition of a third switch for the tape/monitor loop as well as the R/C volume 'eye' (input receiver).  Engraved graphics are being improved to be more visible.  The l ...

randog

Re: Thanks!
« Reply #62 on: 29 Oct 2004, 02:39 pm »
Regarding the inputs issue, after reviewing our control logic again, I believe that a person could gain another input, if you consider that the tape monitor input.

Thanks Dan. Yes, I believe 5 inputs is great and for me world's better than 4. For instance, using Chris B's comments, he's already got his 4 inputs booked. He seems happy with that but it leaves him no room for expansion. For me, having the ability to hook up another cdp or another tuner (tube along with SS) is part of what's driving me to search for another preamp. Most have 4 and many tube pre's have even less. I guess I'm in the minority here just as those who use the tape loop. Anyway, thanks for listening!  :D You got my attention!

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #63 on: 29 Oct 2004, 02:50 pm »
Dan,
Are one of the four (five if you count tape) inputs the ht/bypass input?  I see having an SACD input, a DVD-A input, a phono (after phono stage, of course) and a home theater input (the one that is bypassed).  The tape loop is simply going to be an extra input for me as I don't futz with tape anymore.

thanks,
Ted_B

modwright

Answer to Q's.
« Reply #64 on: 29 Oct 2004, 03:03 pm »
1) The R/C volume is an Alps Blue velvet motorized pot.  Thanks for the comments RE tube choice, etc.  I REALLY like the 5687 because it is VERY linear, operates at high current levels and low distortion.  I believe that it does what tubes do best without the typical drawbacks of poor bandwidth, high noise levels and high distortion.  The mu-stage circuit type that we are using works extremely well.

2) One of the four standard inputs is switchable for HT/BP.

I very much appreciate the feedback during the process of finallizing the design and control options.  The audio circuit has been in the works for a couple of years + now, with one year of Beta testing behind us now.  The logic and controls still needed some attention obviously and customer input here is critical.

It is my desire for the ModWright Instruments SWL 9.0 to be a central and permanent part of our customer's system.  I plan to offer upgrades to this unit and an attractive upgrade path to our products to follow also.  A strong, loyal and satisfied customer base is VERY important to me.

Future Products:

1)  I am planning to offer a tube MM/MC phono stage.
2) A USB tube DAC is also on the horizon to allow for use with standard input (AES/EBU, SPDIF, toslink) as well as streaming digital sources - ipod, computer direct, digital radio, etc.
3) A head-amp option for the SWL 9.0 (built-in) is also going to be offered.
4) I also plan to build a very sophisticated power supply that will be developed for the phono stage and will likely be offered as an upgraded outboard supply for the SWL 9.0.

Please understand, that these are all future products and will not likely be available until '05, but I wanted you to have a glimpse of the future for ModWright Instruments.

Thanks,

Dan W.

randog

« Reply #65 on: 29 Oct 2004, 03:42 pm »
Dan, I wanted to comment on the photograph. I think your front panel is beautiful and everything you described as your goal aesthetically. Then I realized the silkscreening was missing and then I realized for me that's what helps make the look so nice.

If I may be so bold... perhaps the silkscreen could be something other than black and something that disappears to the eye as you get further from the face.

I'm aghast when I look at the face of the Marchand crossover I just purchased and I'm trying to decide where I can hide it!  :lol:

JoshK

« Reply #66 on: 29 Oct 2004, 03:48 pm »
Four isnt' sufficient for my purposes...

TT
Tuner
SACD/CD
DVD
PVR/TV Tuner  (I don't do MC Home theater)

Have plans for HTPC in the future but that would take care of DVD & PVR.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #67 on: 29 Oct 2004, 03:52 pm »
The future product direction is a very important part of any business plan, and yours is a welcome sight!  My Ray Samuels tube preamp, for example, is also my headamp, but when I see that you have one in the future plans I now know that I will be covered.  A phono stage that eeks out the detail your 999ES mod eeked out is truly one that I'll be looking forward to.  And a USB DAC is a great idea, although improving upon your 999ES redbook is a daunting task.... :D   I realize it will be more for other dig sources....and who knows, flac-based hard disk playback sounds pretty good on my Chaintech AV-710....maybe through your USB dac and SWL 9.0 it WILL outperform redbook!!  Ahh, choices.....ain't it grand
ted_b

P.S.  I applaud your use of remote control for only the volume.  No need to add extra cost, parts and touchpoints to r/c the inputs.  Those usually stay put for a listening session, anyway.

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #68 on: 29 Oct 2004, 03:56 pm »
Quote from: JoshK
Four isnt' sufficient for my purposes...

TT
Tuner
SACD/CD
DVD
PVR/TV Tuner  (I don't do MC Home theater)

Have plans for HTPC in the future but that would take care of DVD & PVR.

Josh,
Since you didn't list "tape" as a source, you can use the tape input for your pvr/tv stuff.  And there still is a "tape out" that you requested for cd recorders, etc.

guest1632

Re: You're Covered...
« Reply #69 on: 30 Oct 2004, 12:05 am »
I gotcha covered Steve.  In fact, I am going to the machines shop to proof the knobs and faceplate today!!!!  Quite excited, the chassis are complete, pending anodizing of the faceplate.

The CO show should be excellent!

Dan

modwright

Reply.
« Reply #70 on: 30 Oct 2004, 01:10 am »
As I said earlier, the monitor will act as a fifth input, so I do believe that we have it covered.  I realize that I can't be everything to everyone ;), but I believe that it will cover most people's needs.

RE aesthetics, I agree tha the face should be clean and simple.  For this reason, the knobs do have a dimple as an indicator.  Also, instead of silkscreening 'Tape', 'CD', 'DVD', 'Aux 1'...etc., I have simply opted for four dots, machined into the face and no silkscreen for this purpose.  The volume control will also just have 'dots' machined as indications of level.  There will be small lettering, silkscreened above the power switch, the mute switch, tape/monitor switch, HT/BP switch and below select and volume.  The lettering will be very small, between the LED and the switch, and will be in a gray color, just enough to read, but not enough to detract from the aesthetics.  I received a lot of feedback at the CO show saying just the same thing and I agree 100%.

To be honest, I was concerned first and foremost about the sound.  Once I had that to where I was satisfied with it, the aesthetics were the easy job.  I do want a look that is classic, clean and understated.  It doens't need to be flashy or draw attention to itself...it should just perform.

RE our future offerings, thanks for the feedback here too.  The phono stage is first on the list as I have a dealer and others asking me about it all the time.  I am personally very interested in a world-class phono stage for my own use.  I am confident that we can do it, based on what I have learned with the phono stage and mods.

Thank you again for the feedback and support.

I am pleased by the early interest in our product and I will have to decide how soon to get the ball rolling on the next run.  The first production run is 50 pcs., but I have pre-sold a number already.

Thanks,

Dan

guest1632

Re: Reply.
« Reply #71 on: 30 Oct 2004, 01:56 am »
As I said earlier, the monitor will act as a fifth input, so I do believe that we have it covered.  I realize that I can't be everything to everyone ;), but I believe that it will cover most people's needs.

RE aesthetics, I agree tha the face should be clean and simple.  For this reason, the knobs do have a dimple as an indicator.  Also, instead of silkscreening 'Tape', 'CD', 'DVD', 'Aux 1'...etc., I have simply opted for four dots, machined into the face and no silkscreen for this purpose.  The volume c ...

modwright

Dot
« Reply #72 on: 30 Oct 2004, 06:48 am »
You can't see it in the picture, but there is a dimple that is precisely .125" in diamter.  It is readily visible and can be felt.

The preamp has 19dB of gain.

Thanks,

Dan

guest1632

Re: Dot
« Reply #73 on: 30 Oct 2004, 02:18 pm »
You can't see it in the picture, but there is a dimple that is precisely .125" in diamter.  It is readily visible and can be felt.

The preamp has 19dB of gain.

Thanks,

Dan

randog

Re: Reply.
« Reply #74 on: 30 Oct 2004, 02:24 pm »
RE aesthetics, I agree tha the face should be clean and simple.  For this reason, the knobs do have a dimple as an indicator.  Also, instead of silkscreening 'Tape', 'CD', 'DVD', 'Aux 1'...etc., I have simply opted for four dots, machined into the face and no silkscreen for this purpose.  The volume c ...

Awesome! It's refreshing to come across a sparky who has a keen aesthetic eye as well (that's meant with maximum respect)!

I have a product design consultancy and it never ceases to amaze me how bad some small manufacturers products look, especially since manufacturing costs really don't need to be any higher to get the look 'right'.

modwright

Replies
« Reply #75 on: 30 Oct 2004, 06:46 pm »
Gain is high due to the nature of tubes and tube circuits.  A cathode follower circuit offers no gain, but doesn't sound that great.  We are using a mu-stage circuit and it pretty much maximizes the gain of the tube.  We use a low-mu tube, but the gain is still relatively high.  Ultimatley it comes down to sound and I just really l like the sound of this circuit.  We may take steps to pad this down a bit.

Thanks on the aesthetics issue.  I don't know if I have a keen eye or not ;), but I know what looks right to me and I know the value of the right look.  You are right, it DOESN'T cost that much, if any more, to make the product look right.  For instance, machining vs. silk-screening.  There IS a cost difference, but it is not that much.  The other interesting thing, is that the thickness of the face plate - say 1/8" vs. 3/8", makes a big difference in image, perceived value, etc., but the difference in material cost is relatively minor.  It is the machining itself that is the majority of the cost.  Things that I have learned as we move into mfg.  Bottom line though, it is important to look at what it takes to make the product that you want to offer.  Price should be set after that, not the other way around.  Obviously there is a target price-point, but I don't think that price should dictate the design.

On the flip side of the coin however, are products that are priced to MEET a market demand.  I.e. a rediculously high price is set to meet market demand.  I am not going here either.  It is simply my inent to build and offer a high-quality product with performance that outstrips the price-point. Ultimately high-value is the goal.

Thanks,

Dan

outwest

phono pre
« Reply #76 on: 31 Oct 2004, 02:03 am »
Hi Dan,
Any chance your phono pre will have a volume control option for us vinyl only types?  :D

modwright

Phono Stage
« Reply #77 on: 31 Oct 2004, 03:24 am »
Yes, I believe the phono stage WILL have a volume control option.  I intend for it to be a world-class unit and not just an afterthought design for use inside our preamp.

I am not sure about remote, but possibly.  I would probably like to use a high-quality stepped attenuator, but time will tell.  I expect aesthetics to be similar and the power supply will of course be outboard.  It might be comprised of two full-sized chassis with matching silver brushed finish.

This won't be available until '05.

Thanks,

Dan

nature boy

« Reply #78 on: 31 Oct 2004, 03:15 pm »
Dan,

Congratulations on your new linestage offering, it sounds like a real winner!  In reviewing this thread, its easy to see why your modifications and product offerings are such a hit with Audio Circle members - first, it's all about the sound quality and second, you listen to thoughtful input from your customers.  :mrgreen:

Best wishes with your new linestage, I'm sure it will be a big sucess.

Regards,

NB

modwright

Thank you.
« Reply #79 on: 31 Oct 2004, 03:37 pm »
Thank you for your support and for recognizing the focus of our business - customer satisfaction.

I strive to produce products and services that I would want and would be willing to invest in. This means that they have to represent value and performance.  In the end, a satisfied and loyal customer base is the strength of our company.

Thank you again.  I am very excited about the release and it won't be long now!

Dan