Another Legend Passes: RIP Rupert Neve

wushuliu

Another Legend Passes: RIP Rupert Neve
« on: 16 Feb 2021, 01:34 am »
The past few years definitely feels like the end of an era in music. We've lost so many. This time the great Rupert Neve, creator of legendary studio consoles:

'He was the Steve Jobs of audio': how Rupert Neve changed the sound of music

Neve crafted the altarpieces of many of the world’s finest recording studios, including Abbey Road, the Kinks’ Konk Studios, New York’s Electric Lady and George Martin’s AIR studios in London and Monserrat. “George had become a trusted friend, far more than a customer,” Neve recalled following Martin’s death in 2016. “I was not a musician, and he helped me to understand the finer nuances of his approach.”

The venerable Sound City Studios in Los Angeles was also home to a Neve console. When Foo Fighter Dave Grohl heard that the complex’s Studio B was to close, he inquired about buying its rare Neve 8028, having maintained a fond attachment to the mixing console ever since Nirvana recorded Nevermind on it two decades earlier. “Neve boards were considered the Cadillacs of recording consoles,” Grohl told NPR. Unfortunately for Grohl, the Neve was in Studio A and not Studio B. The studio manager told him: “I’d sell my grandmother before I sold that board.”

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: Another Legend Passes: RIP Rupert Neve
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2021, 01:53 pm »
Another legend gone, a life well lived, RIP.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2021, 04:30 pm »
Neve consoles aré só rare I have never seat in front of one, they are great tô rock music.
RIP

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2021, 06:37 pm »
Grohl did buy the famous Neve console from Sound City:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kREXK5sVjQ4  >>1:08:50
The Neve console part starts at 12:05 and very short Rupert interview starts at 15:15.