Favorite Guitar Solo

Mag

Favorite Guitar Solo
« on: 18 Apr 2022, 06:27 pm »
   I asked a women co-worker, what is your favorite guitar solo? She said she didn't have one, I said to her, how could you not have a favorite guitar solo. I don't know if this is a characteristic of all women but I suspect women don't give a rat's ass about such things. Like I said to two other women, Mike Bossy died, who is Mike Bossy they asked, I shook my head and walked away and they laughed.

Okay, I think most men can name their favorite guitar solo. Mine currently is Anya by Deep Purple, there's a moment in the song where Ritchie Blackmore makes his guitar cry, that sound makes me climax, it is so perfectly executed. :smoke:

mcgsxr

Re: Favorite Guitar Solo
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2022, 06:59 pm »
It is an interesting question and one I have discussed with friends.

After all, it was Grunge that killed the guitar solo (mostly), and that is an era I lived through.  We used to suggest that the main difference between rock and grunge WAS a guitar solo.

I think my personal fav would be Stone Roses Fools Gold.

But hard to walk past any SRV song, or Pink Floyd song, or classic rock song!

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #2 on: 18 Apr 2022, 07:49 pm »
John Tropea in September 13, full two minutes of êxtase from a under rated guitar genius recorded in first take by the master Rudy Van Gelder tô the Prelude álbum.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #3 on: 18 Apr 2022, 10:04 pm »
If you want to hear somebody let loose on an SG, Dominance and Submission off of Blue Oyster Cult's Secret Treaties albums at high volume is really good.

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #4 on: 18 Apr 2022, 10:11 pm »
If you want to hear somebody let loose on an SG, Dominance and Submission off of Blue Oyster Cult's Secret Treaties albums at high volume is really good.

Haha, you beat me to it.  The entire album is great!

Yog Sothoth

« Reply #5 on: 18 Apr 2022, 10:18 pm »
Haha, you beat me to it.  The entire album is great!

I especially love the syncopated structure of the "DOMINANCE!" "SUBMISSION" call and response style struggle of the narrator struggling to not submit to whatever evil force Charles the Grinnin' Boy is.  It's unnerving since one seems to be on a 7 count and the other with the main beat.

Mike B.

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2022, 11:20 pm »

dB Cooper

« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2022, 12:50 am »
Steve Ford what about the title cut...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 19 Apr 2022, 01:13 am »
Terry Kath

https://youtu.be/7uAUoz7jimg
At least there is a solo in this song :thumb:

Jan_Mc

« Reply #9 on: 19 Apr 2022, 01:20 am »
I've been pretty smitten by Jesse Cook lately.  Not your classic rock and roll solo but every bit as sweet to me.  Second would be some Pink Floyd although Eric Clapton also does it for me.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 19 Apr 2022, 01:50 am »
Clapton was the guitar man in Final Cut.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #11 on: 19 Apr 2022, 02:12 am »
Just one of many, but Steve Hunter's Intro/Sweet Jane from Lou Reed's Rock 'n Roll Animal always comes to mind in the top 3.

Intro/Sweet Jane

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #12 on: 19 Apr 2022, 04:36 am »

Man...BOC....lots of good memories.  :thumb:

I've been wracking my brains for my favorite - and even Googled the top 10 guitar solos for inspiration. I guess I'd have to say either Stairway to Heaven or Comfortably Numb stand out as my top Rock guitar solos.

Mag,

I must admit that I had to Google Mike Bossy. I get it - I live in a different world.  :)
« Last Edit: 19 Apr 2022, 06:11 am by mresseguie »

charmerci

« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2022, 05:35 am »
Pat Metheny. Third Wind.

The one that I love for the feeling is Larry Carlton's Sleepwalk off that album. His subsequent live versions just don't have the same feeling.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2022, 09:21 am »
Frank could really play, I always liked the solos in Montana and Muffin Man.

Johnny Winter's Still Alive and Well and Highway 61 Revisted are really good, Jeff Beck's Big Block is excellent and the studio version of Going Down, Queen's Brighton Rock, Focus' Hocus Pocus, Robert Fripp on Briano Eno's Baby's On Fire...

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 19 Apr 2022, 09:33 am »
Surprised no Hotel California or Watermelon In Easter Hay.

ctviggen

« Reply #16 on: 19 Apr 2022, 10:21 am »
I don't have a favorite...anything.  Not band, not guitarist, not male or female singer, song, solo, anything. I also think that if you're asking younger people, you won't get an answer, because the music they listen do doesn't have solos.

Jack the cat

• At the gates of delirium
« Reply #17 on: 19 Apr 2022, 02:41 pm »
Steve Hunter & Dick Wagner's four minute interplay leading into 'Sweet Jane' and Duane's 'Loan Me A Dime'.

MttBsh

« Reply #18 on: 19 Apr 2022, 03:15 pm »
Let's not forget Hendrix's solos on Band of Gypsies, recorded at the Fillmore E 12/31/69 - 1/1/70, especially Machine Gun, Power of Soul and Message of Love. Some of the most intense and emotional guitar work ever recorded. 

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #19 on: 19 Apr 2022, 03:34 pm »
One of my favorites is not an epic 8 minute solo but more even spread short burst fills & riffs and that is Eric Johnson playing Cliffs Of Dover. The main rhythm is fun and bouncy and then a frenzy of fast fingers that'll put a smile on my face every time.