TV digital converter

accent

TV digital converter
« on: 1 Mar 2010, 06:35 pm »
Hi all, As I rarely use my tv and simply hate cable, I wanted to try one of the converters. I have a great antanea?  And was wondering if anyone has a converter laying around or tried on and can point me to a decent unit?
                                                                                    Michael
                                                                                 714-321-9070

Phil A

Re: TV digital converter
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2010, 07:18 pm »
You may want to try a used HD TV tuner depending on the display you have.  Probably will be a hair more but much better picture and flexibility.  I'm currently using old ones on my computer (via VGA) and have another I'll likely use unless I eventually upgrade an old TV.

accent

« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2010, 07:29 pm »
Ok i'm game any brand suggestions anyone?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2010, 08:02 pm »
When you say digital converter Michael, are you talking about coverting an analog TV to accept digital signals? Or are you talking about a high definition decoder in which case you would need to already have a high definition TV? You need to add more information on your current TV Michael. Thanks.

Cheers,
Robin

accent

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2010, 08:16 pm »
My tv is going on 20 yrs old. I just want to access what is available over the airwaves. And preferably on 2 tv's

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #5 on: 1 Mar 2010, 08:34 pm »
My tv is going on 20 yrs old. I just want to access what is available over the airwaves. And preferably on 2 tv's
Well you're about a year too late making this move as the goverment was actually giving out coupons for the free purchase of these digital coverters. Now you'll have to buy one. Ebay might be a good place to find a cheap one from someone who has upgraded their TV to digital. I'm sure there are others who have more information on these digital converters, hopefully they'll have more to offer than I do. I myself don't have access to digital channels via antenna as you need to be fairly close, not the 75+ miles in the mountains that I am. With an analog antenna, I could get a weak channel full of snow but you could still get it. Hell I could get a Boston channel back in the day from 350 miles away to watch the Boston Celtics from vermont, even tho I had to sit 20 feet away to make out the picture.  :lol:  With a digital channel, you either have a strong enough signal using an antenna for a picture or you don't, there's no middle ground so the distance is critical.

Cheers,
Robin

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 1 Mar 2010, 08:43 pm »
Here's a quick Ebay search for digital converter box's for ya. At $65-$70 for a brand new box, you really should have been looking into those goverment coupons before the national digital conversion. Maybe you can bid on a used one and get a bargain.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Don_S

« Reply #7 on: 1 Mar 2010, 08:56 pm »
Michael,

I have used the Zenith and this one. http://www.dishnetwork.com/dtvpal/features.shtml

I much prefer the Zenith.  I would have posted the link for it but the link does not work anymore.  I suspect they are not making them anymore.

You are going to have to scour the used market.  Craigslist, local thrift shops, and Goodwill if Goodwill doesn't just recycle them.  In CA, Goodwill is authorized and paid to collect E-waste.

Good luck.

accent

« Reply #8 on: 1 Mar 2010, 09:03 pm »
Thats the ticket, I will now begin the search...

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio