New to Power Conditioning "Entry Level"

lextek

New to Power Conditioning "Entry Level"
« on: 4 Jan 2015, 05:19 pm »
I'm interested in adding some conditioning to my small system.  It's Mac Mini based.
NAD 316BEE
Bottlehead Crack
AppleTV
Paradigm Atoms and sub
Cambridge Audio DACMagic
Sony DVP S7000
I just have them plugged in to a Belkin power strip.  I have no issues with hum.  So looking for something "entry level"

Big Red Machine

Re: New to Power Conditioning "Entry Level"
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jan 2015, 06:08 pm »
You may not need any.  Do you have hiss or hum audible from your speakers when no music is playing but the volume is at std listening levels?  At what distance can it be heard?  Do you have clear 's' sounds or do s'es sound like a tub of rattlers?  Often a female vocal will help evaluate this.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jan 2015, 06:20 pm »
If you are a DIY kind of guy the "Felix" is an entry level power conditioner that really works.
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=25757.0

Wayne

iluzun

« Reply #3 on: 4 Jan 2015, 07:22 pm »
Blue Circle, http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue75/blue_circle.htm

I've two in a Mac mini based system.  They r very good and very affordable. You will
get an immediate improvement.  They do take a while to fully break in, so be patient. 
You're on the right track.  Effective power conditioning will get the most out of your existing
components and can effectively relieve the need to compulsively upgrade equipment. 

Good luck....

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jan 2015, 08:09 pm »
As Big Red wrote.  Most people (with well designed components) don't need power conditioners.

Bill Whitlock writes:

Power-line filters in “conditioners” only begin to work at frequencies over about 40
kHz … but these frequencies do not cause either common-impedance coupling in
unbalanced cables or common-mode voltages at balanced inputs, provided that cables
with normal coaxial shielding is used in either case. Power-line filtering, unless the
filter starts working at a few hundred Hz (which would make it the size of a
refrigerator), are useless in the reduction of hum and buzz ... duh!

Many benefits attributed to “power conditioning” are
actually due to the tight cluster of output outlets!

Common-mode noise can only be generated within a premises, between the N-G bond
and the load in question. For system noise reduction, a simple outlet strip often
works as well as, or even better, than a “power conditioner.” Filtering in most
power conditioners only begins to work at frequencies above 30 kHz – at that and
higher frequencies, noise no longer couples in cables like it does at lower (audio)
frequencies.

iluzun

« Reply #5 on: 4 Jan 2015, 09:23 pm »
Not in my experience Speedskater.  Perhaps my Modwright Transporter, the PrimaLuna Prolouge II,  the
Yamaha CDS-2000, A-S2000 and VPI Traveler that make up my current rig don't qualify as being well designed, but they sound superb when fed thru the aforementioned Blue Circle filters.   So which is it?  Is the Modwright Transporter wimpy?  Does Primaluna not put adequate power supplies in their amps?  Have you ever lifted a modern Yamaha component?  Of course one could rip apart the Mac mini and replace the switcher, but plugging the stock unit into a good conditioning filter will alleviate the need.  Spend the money on additional RAM instead. 

I've owned a world class stack of expensive and premium designed 'power supplies'.  My current system is more satisfying, more resolving, more musical.  It sound stages and images better.  It allows one to follow individual musician and instruments without shredding the music into pieces.  It is organic. 

Starting with the Blue Circle 'filters' is a smart move to a long term satisfying system.  Money well spent.

KR500

« Reply #6 on: 4 Jan 2015, 09:41 pm »
I paid an electrician to run a separate line from the electrical panel to my rack to get it off the same circuit as the fridge , CFL light fixtures, telephone line etc.
Then I added a PS Audio duplex receptacle to the end of the new run where I plug in a rack power conditioner which all the audio / mac gear gets plugged into.
A year before doing that I had purchased a Monster Cable A/V power strip for the TV and noticed improvement on the TV video signal right away .
That's what prompted me to do something about the power to the stereo.

lextek

« Reply #7 on: 4 Jan 2015, 09:47 pm »
I have a Monster HT strip downstairs for the HT.  I've always been interested in Blue Circles amps.
    How about a power strip plugged into a Blue Circle PLC Puck?
http://www.bluecircle.com/page153.html

Early B.

« Reply #8 on: 4 Jan 2015, 11:46 pm »
The Blue Circle stuff is good. Also consider a PI Audio Group MiniBUSS.

Mike82

« Reply #9 on: 11 Jan 2015, 09:04 pm »
Go to Ebay and look for a medical grade isolation transformer.  A company called Toroid Corp of Maryland makes some nice ones.  You can fins a 10-15 amp one for <$300.  I use a smaller one on my CDP which really lowers the noise floor.  The larger ones wold permit you to plug in all your gear.

Ideally, it work better to separate the digital components from the amp, etc., but you will still hear an improvement with everything plugged into one isolation transformer.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #10 on: 11 Jan 2015, 11:56 pm »
Iluzun,

Thanks for mentioning Blue Circle and jogging my memory. Once I moved to my Mac Mini from Windows, I kinda left old bookmarks behind. I'm going to order a Puck to see what it does for either my HT or bedroom system. My main system already has a Pi Audio UberBUSS (which ROCKS!), but I don't wish to drop so much coin into a filter for either of the secondary systems.

Michael

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #11 on: 12 Jan 2015, 05:32 pm »
Instructions for installing big isolation transformers and other AC power information from Middle Atlantic:

"Power Distribution and Grounding of Audio, Video and Telecommunications Equipment"
"Addendum to Power Distribution White Paper"

http://www.middleatlantic.com/resources/white-papers.aspx

mresseguie

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2015, 01:13 am »
Well, I contacted BC Audio about their Puck. Incredibly, sipping to the west coast of the US for a single Puck is about $28(!). That's a big enough addition to the price that I may reconsider.

I was informed they are currently out of stock, but expect to be resupplied by next week.

"All our pricing is in USD as most of our customers are in the US over overseas, so the price is USD100.00 plus shipping. Shipping to the West coast is about USD28.00. That seems a lot for a $100.00 item but we have to put it  in a box big enough to put customs documents on.

We are currently out of stock (they are selling like crazy) but should be able to ship early next week. If you would like to order one please contact TLP audio our online dealer in the US. at http://www.tlp-audio.com  . They would be happy to handle your order."

DZetye

« Reply #13 on: 13 Jan 2015, 03:21 am »
Try Rene' at Mystic Audio.
http://www.mysticaudio.ca/Mystic_Audio/Welcome.html

I bought a larger Blue Circle power conditioner from them last week and they discounted for US$.  They are located very close to the Blue Circle Factory
« Last Edit: 13 Jan 2015, 05:41 am by DZetye »

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 13 Jan 2015, 02:55 pm »
Try Rene' at Mystic Audio.
http://www.mysticaudio.ca/Mystic_Audio/Welcome.html

I bought a larger Blue Circle power conditioner from them last week and they discounted for US$.  They are located very close to the Blue Circle Factory
Which model did you get and what do you think?

mresseguie

« Reply #15 on: 13 Jan 2015, 03:45 pm »
DZetye,

Thank you for the updated link. I'll look into it.

DZetye

« Reply #16 on: 13 Jan 2015, 05:08 pm »
This is the one I bought

https://mystic-audio.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/blue-circle-fx2-x0e-6-outlet-power-line-conditioner

Preliminary impressions are more detail, better soundstage, better bass but it is not fully burned in yet.  It definitely made a noticeable difference.  I am using 6 hard drives with switching power supplies so my lines needed a lot of help.  I haven't separated my computer power from my audio power and run them on the same circuit which I intend to change eventually when I am satisfied with my audio components.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: 13 Jan 2015, 05:42 pm »
This is the one I bought

https://mystic-audio.myshopify.com/collections/frontpage/products/blue-circle-fx2-x0e-6-outlet-power-line-conditioner

Preliminary impressions are more detail, better soundstage, better bass but it is not fully burned in yet.  It definitely made a noticeable difference.  I am using 6 hard drives with switching power supplies so my lines needed a lot of help.  I haven't separated my computer power from my audio power and run them on the same circuit which I intend to change eventually when I am satisfied with my audio components.
Good to hear.  What other equipment is plugged into this?

DZetye

« Reply #18 on: 13 Jan 2015, 07:05 pm »
I plugged in my headphone amps, my power amp, my preamp, my iFI iUSB power, my computer and my SACD player.  I also have on the same circuit my modified Squeezebox Touch and all my switching supplies for the hard drives (but they aren't powered up most of the time because I primarily use the Squeezebox).  It made a nice improvement.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #19 on: 13 Jan 2015, 07:20 pm »
I plugged in my headphone amps, my power amp, my preamp, my iFI iUSB power, my computer and my SACD player.  I also have on the same circuit my modified Squeezebox Touch and all my switching supplies for the hard drives (but they aren't powered up most of the time because I primarily use the Squeezebox).  It made a nice improvement.
Nice to hear.