ModWright Transporter Feedback and general information thread......!

kenreau

I've used EAC for years, ripped 1000+ cd's and never had problems with FLAC.  I described my process a year ago or so.  I'll look  for the thread.  I do WAV and then FLAC cuz i want flexibility to first import to iPod, etc.

Ted,

I wanted to ask if you did happen to locate the thread describing your file back up conversion process.  I have been backing up my cd's for the past month strictly via dBpoweramp into FLAC files.  It works great and I get the tags, etc. to show up on my iPod Touch Ipeng ap.  The frustrating aspect has been when the rest of the family wants an album put on itunes (doesn't currently do FLAC) or a physical CD.

I am wondering what the most efficient and streamlined way is to cover all my intended use bases of FLAC for slimcenter, iPod files (Apple Lossless files or highest bit rate mp3) and eventual CD burning (.wav files) of extra copies to archive and/or keep in the car.  I kind of like the idea of having a .wav file for archiving by the FLAC minimal storage needs are a huge benefit. 

Thanks,
Kenreau

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
OK, here it is in a (large) nutshell (there are many ways to skin this cat but I do it this way to keep a backup for cd making, etc.):

1) Insert cd and rip, using EAC (action -> copy image and create cuesheet).  EAC pulls metatdata off freedb to populate the cue sheet with correct album, artist info.  This produces, in a folder of you choice, two files, a large wav file and an associated small 1-2k file called a cue sheet (text-like file that has track and artist info).  Example, AbbeyRoad.wav and AbbeyRoad.cue.  I keep these in a folder for safe keeping. I'll get to it in a moment.

2) Download a freeware program called Daemon Manager.  It creates a virtual drive (called it drive "M") on your pc.  I'll get to it in a moment.
http://www.disk-tools.com/download/daemon

3) Using any number of pc front ends like Foobar, I then open that cue file in Foobar and right click on the entire playlist (all 15 songs) and convert to FLAC, individual songs, and store that for use with Squeeze Center, etc.  It will automatically have all the metadata inbedded in the FLAC file (via the info from the cue file). 

Now that you have 15 FLAC files (individual songs) in a folder called Abbey Road or something, let's get back to the wav and cue sheeets sitting in that original  folder (called "music backup" or something). 

4)With Daemon manager, right click, find your "fake" virtual drive (it will be the default) and "mount" the cue sheet Abbeyroad.cue.  Your pc (and iTunes, etc.) thinks this is a cd inserted into a drive called "M" and will show up in iTunes , ready for import.  Use whatever import scheme you wanna use in iTunes (AAC, MP3, etc.).  It goes very fast (10-20x) cuz there is no real reading of a disc, just a large file. 

Summary:  So, now you have AAC lossy files in iTunes, lossless FLAC files in your Squeeze Center library, and only two files (one large wav, one small cue) to clutter up your backup folder, ready for later use if needed.  Remember, if you want to use EAC or Nero or something to now burn a cd for car use, just use Daemon Manager to load that cue file and fake the pc and burner into thinking it's a physical disc.  The burner will fly (again, no errors, no spinning disc).

I realize this is more steps than some need, but for me it's become a simple process once everything is in place, and produces enough flexibility and backup for me.  I used to not do the Foobar convert (separate songs in FLAC) thing and just convert the whole large AbbeyRoad.wav file to FLAC via FLAC 's front end, but then you need TWO versions of the damn cue file (one that points to the FLACC file) and most software front ends have issues with cue files, let alone albuma rtwork, etc..  Squeeze Center and Foobar don't but it's a hassle and very non-conforming.

kenreau

Ted,

You're the man :thumb:  Thank you very much!

I forgot about creating the cue sheet in EAC.  It would sure be nice if Apple iTunes would adopt FLAC files as an option.

Thanks again,
Kenreau

mikel51

I use a different strategy.  I use JRiver Media Center to Rip my CDs to FLAC.  I rip to the folder that is also the library for SqueezeCenter and MusicMatch (I happen to like music match smart playlists from my favorite songs--but it is a bit flaky).  MediaCenter can also manage music for the ipod.  It converts the flacs to mp3 files for transfer to the ipod, and one of the options is to store the mp3 files in a cache. 

So I have my flacs in a folder called FLAC and the mp3 files for the ipod in a folder called ipod_cache. Media Center can keep them synched.  I am not interested in using itunes, but if I was, I could point it to ipod_cache as the library.  If you didn't want to let Media Center manage your ipod, you could also create a "virtual ipod" to keep duplicate files of the flac library as mp3s to be compatible with itunes.

and I agree...I wish apple would support flac.

kenreau

mikel51,

Thanks for the input.  What do you do when you want to burn something to a cd?

Thanks,
Kenreau

mikel51

What do you do when you want to burn something to a cd?

I generally don't burn CDs, but Media Center supports burning CDs and converts the files on the fly.  I tried burning a CD for the first time (in ~7-8 years of using media center) today and it converted the FLAC files to aiff on the fly and burned an audio disc. 

Big Red Machine

Given that the TP has tubes in it with the mod, does the matchup with a solid state, passive, or tube preamp make the most sense?

ted_b

• Volunteer
Given that the TP has tubes in it with the mod, does the matchup with a solid state, passive, or tube preamp make the most sense?

I think the tubes in the TP simply make for a very musical unit; not necessarily warm.  The real synergy issue, IMO, is the delicate combo of pre and power amps; tube pre and ss power being my fave.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!

Pete,

Like everything, it seems system dependent.

I am loving the Plinius M8 preamp (solid state), but I am running tube mono blocks.

George

Big Red Machine

I was afraid it wasn't that simple! :o

I was thinking the tube effect of the TP may be all the system needed and that the pre could be SS and still have that sweetness you get with SS DAC into tube pre and SS amps.

ted_b

• Volunteer
Pete,
It can work.  I know of several setups I've heard, with all ss (pre/amp) that would LOVE the sound of a MW TP (especially with 6SN7's). 

rydenfan

Agreed with everything George and Ted have said. The one thing I would add is that the TP is not particularly "warm" in the tube spectrum of sound. I would classify it more along the lines of detail and transparency than I would "warm." Of course YMMV.

jwes

Ok - dumb question: I have not been able to figure out YMMV  :duh:  Any help?  By the way, agree with above. I think of TP as "truth" then tube pre for density and ss mono amps for dynamics and punch.  Lots of other recipes work.

Big Red Machine

your mileage may vary

jwes

Thanks!

mikel51

I running all tube...but my tube amp and preamp are BAT, which are supposed to be relatively "neutral and untubelike....OTOH--I've retubed with old NOS tubes which make them tubier.....its all good. :icon_lol:

zybar

• Volunteer
I was afraid it wasn't that simple! :o

I was thinking the tube effect of the TP may be all the system needed and that the pre could be SS and still have that sweetness you get with SS DAC into tube pre and SS amps.

Pete,

I am sure you can achieve what you desire with the right mixture of tubes in the TP.

BTW, what preamp and amp would you be using?

George

Big Red Machine

Not sure.  Hence the inquiry.  I like my Purity but it is not balanced.  I wanted all balanced all the way through.

zybar

• Volunteer
Not sure.  Hence the inquiry.  I like my Purity but it is not balanced.  I wanted all balanced all the way through.

A little birdy has recently told me that the Esoteric C-03 is a killer preamp with balanced inputs and outputs.  Of course, you always have the Modwright 36.5 if you decide to go with a tubed preamp.  :wink:

George

Big Red Machine

Gee thanks, I think.  $10,000 for that Esoteric unit. :bawl:  And it's not even a true balanced unit. :o