BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

SHV

Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #620 on: 19 Mar 2013, 07:40 pm »
Here are some options for AES/EBU 110 Ohm impedance matching digital splitter solutions.

http://audio-video-supply.markertek.com/search?w=aes%2Febu+splitter

James or Chris will need to say if this will work

Steve

Marius

« Reply #621 on: 19 Mar 2013, 10:19 pm »
Hi Steve,

Thanks for your effort. We've gone over this route before though, have a look in this thread earlier on, and finally decided not to pursue. I've even asked Bryston to make me a splitter cable, but that was so expensive I didn't think it reasonable anymore.

Maybe with my final decision to have the BHA fed fully balanced, I have to reconsider.... It really is amazing.

Marius

Here are some options for AES/EBU 110 Ohm impedance matching digital splitter solutions.

http://audio-video-supply.markertek.com/search?w=aes%2Febu+splitter

James or Chris will need to say if this will work

Steve

lycia

« Reply #622 on: 20 Mar 2013, 12:04 am »
Whilst I would certainly prefer to purchase a BDA-2 (if it had two sets of balanced outputs), as this seems unlikely what would be the disadvantages (if any) of achieving a similar result by running the balanced output from my BDA-1 to the balanced input of a BHA-1 (which I have yet to acquire)  and then one balanced output from the BHA-1 to the balanced input of my BP-26,  leaving the other balanced output of the BHA-1 for my earphones?

Maxvla

« Reply #623 on: 20 Mar 2013, 05:55 am »
Don't know if this would work, but how about using the balanced pre-outs on the back of the BHA-1 into your balanced inputs on the BP26 Pre. Pre into pre, I know... but that's about all I could think of.

lycia

« Reply #624 on: 20 Mar 2013, 06:35 am »
Don't know if this would work, but how about using the balanced pre-outs on the back of the BHA-1 into your balanced inputs on the BP26 Pre. Pre into pre, I know... but that's about all I could think of.

I thought that that is what I had said. :D

I would have the problem of two volume controls but I would hope that the volume control of the BHA-1 could be "fixed" (other than when using headphones) and the volume of the system controlled through the B26 which has a remote.

Marius

« Reply #625 on: 20 Mar 2013, 06:56 am »
I thought that that is what I had said. :D

I would have the problem of two volume controls but I would hope that the volume control of the BHA-1 could be "fixed" (other than when using headphones) and the volume of the system controlled through the B26 which has a remote.

Not the desired solution, just because of this double volume control. Not to mention the unmuted out of the balanced outs on the back of the BHA,with a HP plugged in.
The real solution would have been a balanced passtrough of the incoming signal on the BHA or a second balanced out on the BDA. This forum asked James many a time for those options, but James stated it wasn't going to happen unfortunately....

James, you are not reconsidering please? Would really make the world!

Cheers,
Marius
(This is written with a fully balanced Parsifal/Knappertsbusch/Bayreuth on the ears. Like I've never heard it before. Awsome. And this has been my reference recording of all time for the last 25 years or so. James, in one word : breathtaking. Thank you Bryston!!!)

Joker

« Reply #626 on: 25 Mar 2013, 10:07 pm »
So, in the end, it finally happened, I got to test the Fully balanced system, from source (BDA1) to HD800.

It happens to be the most influencial change made to my audio setup since the introduction of the 28B's in it. Was the unbalanced BHA a revelation, the Balanced cable to the hd800 a volume solution, the balanced connection from BHA1 to BDA1 is a uncomparable full system upgrade.

I just can not believe the change this makes, it 'degrades' the really wonderful setup before sound like a mere nice stereo headphone. In balanced operation, it is a completely different soundstage. Changing the rca to balanced makes you hear the two channels mix to the desired soundstage, and changing back is a no-go. Things really fall in place, thers one big picutre in your head finally. I now understand the raves.

I must say, I'm astonished about the world of difference. It is so compelling, the balanced connection to my BP26 is gone now. Took it out without any doubt. No brainer. Which in itself is too bad really, because right now I don't use the balanced setup my bp26 gives, and was the sole reason I chose the BP26 in the first place..

I really wish for a second balanced out on the BDA2 or 3 or some kind of other Bryston solution to let me play the BDA1 balanced to my headphone and the BP26 at the same time....

James, didn't you say before you'd be able to modify the bp26 rca outputs into an extra balanced set of outputs? I accidentally tried those today, and noticed neither the volume nor the input selector had any influence on the output, only the source-selctor on the BDA1 changed that  :scratch: :scratch: Please explain what happened: I've connected the BDA unbalanced out to the Bp26 rca outs (can you believe it  :duh: :duh: :duh:) No real problems occurred, it played fine over the speakers.

Marius
Hi Marius, what cable are you using for the balanced connection between BDA and BHA? Thanks mate.

lycia

« Reply #627 on: 25 Mar 2013, 10:33 pm »
Not the desired solution, just because of this double volume control. Not to mention the unmuted out of the balanced outs on the back of the BHA,with a HP plugged in.
The real solution would have been a balanced passtrough of the incoming signal on the BHA or a second balanced out on the BDA. This forum asked James many a time for those options, but James stated it wasn't going to happen unfortunately....

James, you are not reconsidering please? Would really make the world!

Cheers,
Marius
(This is written with a fully balanced Parsifal/Knappertsbusch/Bayreuth on the ears. Like I've never heard it before. Awsome. And this has been my reference recording of all time for the last 25 years or so. James, in one word : breathtaking. Thank you Bryston!!!)

Hello Marius:

Thanks for your reply. I thought that I was being optimistic! I have decided to use a separate DAC. Knappertsbusch's tempi are always interesting if not always convincing. :wink:

Marius

« Reply #628 on: 25 Mar 2013, 10:36 pm »
Hi Marius, what cable are you using for the balanced connection between BDA and BHA? Thanks mate.

Hi,
Using van den Hul here
http://www.vandenhul.com/
Cheers,
Marius

Vipers

« Reply #629 on: 28 Mar 2013, 10:46 pm »
Hi Guys,

I was just wondering if anyone else has tried the Audeze LCD-3's on the BHA-1, WOW what a combination, especially as a fully balanced rig :)

I have always wanted to spend some time listening to the LCD-3’s after being won over our LCD-2’s and after borrowing a pair of LCD-3’s from Audeze for a customer to listen to in the week I think it is fair to say that I have now been ruined and there was just no way I could send them back. I had always read that the gap between the LCD-2’s and LCD-3’s was quite small with a little more top end detail on the 3's, generally it was said that they were about 10% better for twice the price, well I have to say that is absolute rubbish, with the LCD-3’s you do get more detail but what really struck me was how rich, full and organic the sound was, extremely lifelike. I spoke to Audeze and apparently early LCD-3’s weren't quite at the level they are now as they are now using a thinner membrane making the difference between the 2’s and 3’s far wider.

This isn't to take anything away from the LCD-2’s, they are still one of my favourite headphones, but the LCD-3’s are very special indeed, in my opinion tonality they rival speakers that cost £10,000+ and for what you loose in scale with a speaker you more than make up for with detail and intimacy.

At the moment I'm using a Naim streamer digitally feeding the BDA-1 which is hooked up via balanced to the BHA-1 and then the LCD-3's are balanced into the BHA-1, it really seems that the clarity of the BHA-1 really helps to let the LCD-3's shine as it just helps with top end detail but give fantastic drive, I've been using my Grado PS1000's mostly on the BHA-1, but I think that the LCD-3's have stolen their crown, well worth a demo I would say.

To be honest, if funds allow I would recommend a pair of LCD-3's and a pair of HD800's as both sound amazing on the BHA-1 but both do things very differently and suit different kinds of music, not a cheap option I know, but compared to high end hifi separates it really is a drop in the ocean to get the ultimate headphone set up, as ever I can't resist a photo or two :) 

hardwarenick

« Reply #630 on: 31 Mar 2013, 03:52 am »
Vipers, totally, totally agreed.

Lazy to rehash everything I've shared on another audio forum out there, I completely agree with your sentiments.

It was one of the toughest decisions for me when choosing between the LCD3 and HD800 as I knew whichever way I'd go that I'd miss the other. As I type this, I'm listening to my girlfriend's HD800 on this rig via the stock 1/4" output and even then it sounds amazing. I can't imagine what it's like via the balanced XLR outputs instead.

I think it's only a matter of time before I get myself a pair of HD800's because this Bryston gear really, really begs for both these headphones pending preference/mood/genre!

A quick pic of my rig below, BDA2 -XLR- BHA1 -4pinXLR- LCD3.

Vipers

« Reply #631 on: 1 Apr 2013, 12:28 pm »
I guess this is one of the main beauties of a good headphone rig, you can have a selection of high end headphones that all offer different presentations depending on what you are listening to, whereas with speakers that would be a little more difficult.

I have been told by Sennheiser rep that I should at long last get their much anticipated HDVD 800 headphone amp this week, which will be fascinating to put up against the BHA-1.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #632 on: 16 Apr 2013, 10:58 am »
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2013 2:16 AM
To: James Tanner; Brian W Russell
Subject: BHA-1 - won - best Analogue Preamp

Hi James,

BHA-1 headphone amplifier won in the category ANALOGUE PREAMP the readers Audio Video magazine (2012/2013).

Best regards,
Robert

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #633 on: 16 Apr 2013, 12:18 pm »
Not just a headphone amp award but a preamp award, wow.

Sounds like I really need to replace my B100 with a 4B (or 14B  :singing:).

Bob

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #634 on: 16 Apr 2013, 12:19 pm »
I just recently got my BHA-1, and I'm very impressed. It does a great job of powering my HE-500's.

I have to questions that I can't seem to find answers for:

1) the gain switch on my unit is a 3 position switch, but the gain is only labeled "high" and "low". I don't hear any difference between "low" and the middle position. On the "high" position though, the volume goes up (as expected). What am I missing, if anything?

2) my unit has the standard green power LED, but I just discovered Bryston now has blue LEDs (which will be on my BDA-2 and BDP-2). I'd LOVE to have all matching components. Is it possible to send my BHA-1 into Bryston and have the LED changed to blue, and what would it cost? I know that's a huge vanity issue, but I'd really love for all the equipment to match LED colors. It's like wanting to have all your Bryston gear in black OR silver, but not mixed (for me, no offense to those of you who want to mix & match) :)

- Garrett

BrysTony

« Reply #635 on: 16 Apr 2013, 01:48 pm »

... 1) the gain switch on my unit is a 3 position switch, but the gain is only labeled "high" and "low". I don't hear any difference between "low" and the middle position. On the "high" position though, the volume goes up (as expected). What am I missing, if anything? ...

- Garrett

On my BHA-1 the gain switch is a two position switch.  Are you sure you have a middle position on that switch?

Tony

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #636 on: 16 Apr 2013, 02:05 pm »
On my BHA-1 the gain switch is a two position switch.  Are you sure you have a middle position on that switch?

Tony

100% positive. Feels just like the input switch next to it for the line input/unbalanced RCA/balanced switch.

BrysTony

« Reply #637 on: 16 Apr 2013, 02:51 pm »
 :scratch:

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #638 on: 16 Apr 2013, 03:26 pm »
I just recently got my BHA-1, and I'm very impressed. It does a great job of powering my HE-500's.

I have to questions that I can't seem to find answers for:

1) the gain switch on my unit is a 3 position switch, but the gain is only labeled "high" and "low". I don't hear any difference between "low" and the middle position. On the "high" position though, the volume goes up (as expected). What am I missing, if anything?

2) my unit has the standard green power LED, but I just discovered Bryston now has blue LEDs (which will be on my BDA-2 and BDP-2). I'd LOVE to have all matching components. Is it possible to send my BHA-1 into Bryston and have the LED changed to blue, and what would it cost? I know that's a huge vanity issue, but I'd really love for all the equipment to match LED colors. It's like wanting to have all your Bryston gear in black OR silver, but not mixed (for me, no offense to those of you who want to mix & match) :)

- Garrett

Hi Garrett,

Contact Mike at Bryston and he can answer this - mpickett@bryston.com

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #639 on: 27 Apr 2013, 10:12 am »