BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BHA-1 HEADPHONE AMPLIFIER
« Reply #340 on: 11 Oct 2012, 11:11 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Kyri - much appreciated.
Sounds like Paul has a class establishment there :thumb: :thumb:  :thumb:

James

saveloy

« Reply #341 on: 11 Oct 2012, 11:34 pm »
Thanks for the feedback Kyri - much appreciated.
Sounds like Paul has a class establishment there :thumb: :thumb:  :thumb:

James

Hi James,

The shop takes me back to my youth, when I first discovered hi-fi and a love of music.  There is a personal touch and I really can see the making of many a relationship in that shop, myself included.  Something which has been sadly missing for many a year. 
So yes, 'a class establishment'.  It's got me thinking about the BHA-1 now!

Kyri

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #342 on: 12 Oct 2012, 04:35 pm »
Sent: October-12-12 10:57 AM
To:Bryston
Subject: BHA-1

Hey there,

I was unsure of who to send this message to.  I just purchased a used Bryston BHA-1 from a friend, who purchased it from moon-audio.com on 8/21/2012. 

I must first tell you that my Grado PS1000s have never sounded better.  I have been grinning for 3 days straight, haha!

I couldn't be more happy with it.  The PS1000s are low ohm, so I barely have to turn the volume up, but the sound is just so mesmerizing and textured.  I'm blown away.

Thanks,
Tyson

Vipers

« Reply #343 on: 13 Oct 2012, 10:40 am »
Hi James,

The shop takes me back to my youth, when I first discovered hi-fi and a love of music.  There is a personal touch and I really can see the making of many a relationship in that shop, myself included.  Something which has been sadly missing for many a year. 
So yes, 'a class establishment'.  It's got me thinking about the BHA-1 now!

Kyri

Hi Kyri,

Thanks for all the kind words mate, it was really good to see you the other day, although you did hog the BHA-1, I've only been waiting 6 months for it and as soon as I'd set it up you were in the hot seat, perfect timing on your part  :wink:

I actually need someone to run all my headphones in so if you've got a spare week or so I have a job for you :) I have to say that I was amazed at the sound leakage from the Grado's, it's the fisrt time I've experienced that as they are ususally on my head, I was downstairs with Kyri upstairs and I could sing along to what he was listening to, they really are ear speakers.

I still can't believe that after all this waiting I haven't spent any time with the BHA-1 yet, I've got an install tomorrow morning then I've put a few quality hours to one side in the afternoon for me and the BHA-1, so hopefully I'll be able to post my thoughts tomorrow, I really can't wait  :)

Vipers

« Reply #344 on: 13 Oct 2012, 10:48 am »
Quick question James, can the BHA-1's volume be controlled with either the BR2 or BR3?

Vipers

« Reply #345 on: 13 Oct 2012, 11:19 am »
Tomorrow I'm going to fit the BHA-1 into my Bryston system comprising of the BCD-1, BDA-1, BDP-1, 7B's and SP3, what is considered the best way of hooking this all up? ideally keeping the BHA-1 balanced, I really only need to use the BDP-1 as the source, keeping that balanced as well.

Is it a case of using XLR splitter cables? will this degrade the quality in any way?

Thanks,

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #346 on: 13 Oct 2012, 12:15 pm »
Quick question James, can the BHA-1's volume be controlled with either the BR2 or BR3?

Hi Vipers - no sorry the volume control is not remote-able.

james

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #347 on: 14 Oct 2012, 12:31 pm »
Christmas has arrived early this year, :hyper:

A couple of day ago Santa came round to my house and delivered a neat BDP/BDA/BHA package, supplemented with a Senn HD800 and some up market interconnects. Have added them to my setup and have been glued to the cans ever since.

Have read a lot on burning in the equipment, but right out of the box this gear sounds just wonderful. Have been able to compare CD’s in my BCD (quite lovely) to the ripped versions from the BDP/BDA combo (so much better). The most striking difference is the sense of space and ambiance oozing from the digital player. A lot of the credit must go to the BHA however. Combined with the Senn (unbalanced so far) the sound is mesmerizing and on more than one occasion has made my hair stand up. After all we are all in it for the music and the way Ella’s voice and feelings are conveyed by this piece of Bryston magic (Intimate Ella; just about the best CD I own) is truly unbelievable.

So far I have mostly listened to CD rips, but I am now starting my journey into the fields of High Res music. Just wish the main stream music publishers would accompany their releases by the FLAC masters.

Cheers,
Bob   
« Last Edit: 14 Oct 2012, 12:43 pm by James Tanner »

larevoj

« Reply #348 on: 14 Oct 2012, 01:53 pm »
Hi Folks,

Which RCA brand cables do you suggest between BDA-1 and BHA-1?

Thanks for all constructive suggestions in advance!

:D

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #349 on: 15 Oct 2012, 07:30 am »
Hi Larevoj,

Would not want to suggest anything, as I did not compare my cables to other types or brands, but I use a Siltech (Classic) AES/EBU cable, with very good results.
Must be a substantial number of posts on this subject, either on this forum, or on the BDP sub-forum.

Cheers,
Bob

Vipers

« Reply #350 on: 15 Oct 2012, 10:37 am »
After months of waiting my BHA-1 arrived towards the end of last week and yesterday I sat down for a few hours to put it through it's paces, all I can say is BHA-1 = OMFG  :icon_surprised:

Actually James I think you should have called it the OMFG-1  :) What a piece of kit, it was certainly worth the wait.

First of all I tried the BHA-1 as a pre-amp out of curiosity, hooked upto a 4B SST2 with the BDP-1 and BDA-1, all balanced, what an amazing system, it sounded fantastic, I think this feature really shouldn't be overlooked as this system is a cracking set-up and as long as you don't need more than one source hooked up offers fantastic performance

Then for the real test, the BHA-1 connected to the BDP-1 and BDA-1 using balanced cables again, with my Grado PS1000's, un-balanced unfortunately, I played with the gain settings but with the Grado's preferred the high setting. I have to say I really wasn't expecting the quality jump compared to the SP3 headphone out, which is no slouch it has to be said, but the difference really isn't subtle, through the BHA-1 the PS1000's just came alive, it was like I'd bought a new pair of headphones, it does make me wonder how many people have never heard their headphones real performance, I tried various recordings all with the same effect, but when listening to the Eagles 'Hotel California' from the Hell Freezes Over CD, as an example, I was quite simply amazed at the clarity, separation, dynamics and detail that the BHA-1 was retrieving, it was simply astonishing.

I tried the BHA-1 with a Naim streamer connected via RCA's, it still sounded fantastic but was not in the same league as when connected to the BDP-1/BDA-1 combo, if you are into your headphones then I really believe this to be headphone nirvana, it is for me anyway :)

Over here in the UK, the BHA-1 costs £1425 which I feel makes it the bargain of the century, especially at the moment when Bryston prices in the UK have been questioned a few times, as not only do you get a truly reference headphone amplifier but also a top end Pre-amp, you can't ask for more than that.

Quick question James, I tried to implement into my current setup, this worked quite well but I'm not sure if you'd recommend it ? All Balanced, I run the BDA-1 into the BHA-1 input then run the BHA-1 output into the SP3 input, then when selecting balanced 1 on the SP3 I would get sound from my speakers but nothing out the BHA-1 but as soon as the SP3 was turned off then the BHA-1 came alive, it seemed to work OK but I'm guessing that there would be some degradation to overall sound quality to the SP3 due to not connecting the source directly to it?

All in all though I'm amazed at the performance of the BHA-1, basically I've never heard my headphones driven properly, it is amazing how with the BHA-1 they came alive, well done to everyone involved at Bryston, the BHA-1 really is a true reference product :thumb:

Here are a few pictures of the BHA-1 in action -

In the Headphone room.

Being used as a Pre-Amp with a 4B SST2

Headphone Nirvana :D

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #351 on: 15 Oct 2012, 10:48 am »
Hi Paul,

Does'nt get much better than this, does it?  :dance:

Thought I'd add a (more modest) picture of my own.

Bob

Vipers

« Reply #352 on: 15 Oct 2012, 11:15 am »
Hi Bob,

Beautiful setup you have there, you are right though, the BHA-1 is very special indeed :)

I've opened a Sennheiser account, but am still waiting for my HD700's and HD800's to arrive, I've heard the 800's before but preferred the Grado's, but hearing how much my Grado's improved with the BHA-1 I think my opinions on the HD800's could be about to change.

I've ordered that Intimate Ella cd by the way, thanks for the heads up :)

bobNL

• Some say he's a purist
« Reply #353 on: 15 Oct 2012, 12:10 pm »
Thanks,

If you like Elly, which you obviously do, IMO it is the best CD around, small backing combo, no big band orchestra, Ella at her peak, more than decent recording.
Would love to hear your opinion!

Have the Grado GS1000 myself, which is great for jazz and such. For classical, especially orchestral, music it is no match for the HD800's.

Cheers,
Bob

Vipers

« Reply #355 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:31 pm »
http://www.hifi4sale.net/t29636-confined-space-expanded-personal-review-of-bryston-bha-1-balanced-headphone-amp

james
Another worthwhile great review James, I especially agree with the below, after listening to this track myself repeatedly yesterday it is if I wrote it myself -

'I then went back to a FLAC file Hotel California. Listening to slow rock and in this live performance by the Eagles is even much more soothing. The live ambience was delivered by the Bryston through my cans that made me feel that I was at the concert and audience are supplied with a personalised headphones. The drums and guitars on this track was so refine and detailed out that you can here every single strumming and plucking the Eagles. This was one track that I repeated thrice just because it sounded too good to be true that I had to confirm and reconfirm the statement I made above. And each time, the Bryston just keep presenting a lively experience.'

Vipers

« Reply #356 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:33 pm »
Look what has just turned up, not quite the 800's but a good start, some competition to the Grado's maybe, time to get busy :)

saveloy

« Reply #357 on: 15 Oct 2012, 04:58 pm »
Look what has just turned up, not quite the 800's but a good start, some competition to the Grado's maybe, time to get busy :)

Vipers,

I really do wonder when you actually find time to sell anything.

Kyri

P.S - Warm them up for me please.

myview

« Reply #358 on: 16 Oct 2012, 12:28 am »
Vipers,

If you have a chance, try to get a pair of Hifiman HE-6 (the current top of the line) and/or the HE-500 and try them on the BHA-1.  They sound superb and offer a different take on the music as compared to the Grados and Sennheisers.

Myview

Vipers

« Reply #359 on: 16 Oct 2012, 01:33 pm »
Vipers,

If you have a chance, try to get a pair of Hifiman HE-6 (the current top of the line) and/or the HE-500 and try them on the BHA-1.  They sound superb and offer a different take on the music as compared to the Grados and Sennheisers.

Myview

Hi Myview, I agree 100%, I've been in talks with the UK distributors for HiFiman, Stax and Audeze, and to be honest they have been the hardest accounts to open.

I think they don't want too many dealers to be honest and as I'm the new kid on the block I think they are waiting to see what happens, I find it a little frustrating though as both the HE-6's and the LCD-2's and 3's will sound amazing on the BHA-1 and I bet there aren't many demo facilities that have it on demo at the moment, I guess it's one step at a time though :roll:

I guess I've got enough toys to keep me busy for now :)