Peachtree Audio Gan400 Amp....Class D moves forward.

Freo-1

Been looking at one of these.  Over the years, the Class D amp offerings have improved  markedly,  to the point where there are a lot of good offerings available today. 

The Peachtree Gan400 appears to be a significant step forward. The use of GanFETs is a major upgrade from MOSFETs.  They are much faster,  requires less amp feedback, which provides real improvement in performance. 

Will post observations after some evaluation,  but this looks very promising.   Initial impressions from the community is very positive,  as performance is compared favorably to much more expensive amps. 

https://www.peachtreeaudio.com/products/gan400

JackD

Re: Peachtree Audio Gan400 Amp....Class D moves forward.
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2022, 11:57 pm »
Another variation of the same amp from the same design team headed up by EJ at W4S is available from Underwood HiFi under Walter's LSA brand. The W4S branded version along with a new preamp are coming in the near future too.

dflee

« Reply #2 on: 21 Jan 2022, 12:04 am »
Freo:
What equipment are you running with it?
I listened to a pair of speakers in a showroom and they were running a Lyngdorf amp.
Guy told me it was a Gan hybrid design. Asked him if he would change to an A/AB amp. The
speakers took on a warmer and more to my liking sound. Things seemed a little more
natural (to me anyway).
Following you through the years, you have seen your share of equipment and I regard your opinion.

Don

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 21 Jan 2022, 12:38 am »
Top notch build and design right here:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=180178.msg1893700#new

Best,
Anand.

Freo-1

« Reply #4 on: 21 Jan 2022, 12:42 am »
Hi Don,

I'm using a Chord M-Scaler and Chord TT2 as a DAC/Preamp combination.  The speakers are Tyler Acoustics Linbrook Signature Floorstanders,  with upgraded crossover and internal wiring, along with a SVS PC4000 subwoofer.  Run the speakers full range, and configured the sub low pass at 50Hz with 24db slope in sealed mode.

What I have found is that the Chord setup really makes digital playback sound incredibly natural.  When full upscaling is employed, there is zero glare or digital harshness.  Been using the Chord as a front end for a pair of 8552 mono amps.  The sound is great with this setup. 

The Gan400 is supposed to combine the best of both tube and SS, mainly due to the GanFET output stage.  400 watts should be enough. 

Will know soon enough.  :D

RonN5

Freo-1

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2022, 01:05 am »
Just a heads up in case it matters.

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/gan-amp-speaker-popping-sound-at-power-on

Saw that.  Will report if I experience this. 

jjss49

« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2022, 01:56 am »
this peachtree and wally's unit at similar price may be pretty decent units

imo alberto guerra's agd amps (audions vivace's etc) are the cream of this gan/fet amp crop, but as you expect, they are priced accordingly

rotarius

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2022, 02:25 am »
With regards to on/off pops, TI TPA3255 and similar class D amps do that and good designs incorporate pop suppression.  In case of the TI Evaluation amp, a mute switch is used.  It can be damaging to speakers. I am surprised amps that sell for that amount don't alleviate the pop.

Freo-1

« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2022, 03:00 am »
I read that incorporating GanFET into amplifier designs took quite some time to get the circuit to work properly.   I would think that the GanFET will gain prominence as engineers get a handle on how to best implement.  The limited reviews to date consistently state the advantages achieved in sound quality over MOSFETS.  Reviews on this amp seem to indicate that it sounds like a much more expensive amp, with great imaging,  smooth midrange and clear natural sounding treble, and deep bass with proper timbre.

I'm wondering if class A/AB/H amps will start using GanFET output devices. 

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2022, 04:00 am »
I have had the Underwood HiFi Voyager GaN350 for 3 months.  Mine was modded by Ric Schultz of EVS.  Before that I had (actually still have it in a secondary system) Ric Schultz EVS1200 which was a dual mono IcePower (1200AS1) where Ric actually modded the modules.  Before Class D (I wasn't sold on it when I heard what was out there 6-7 years back), I had Class A/AB amps, including one that still is a current model and lists for $11k (it listed for $9k when I had it).  Before that I had an older version of another brand of A/AB amp, where the version after mine (no longer made) currently lists for about $11k as well.  Class D has come a long way.  From what I understand, there aren't any made (or if there are I'm not aware of them) from discrete input stages.  They all have op amps as the first thing the signal passes through.  I'd expect that when that happens, except for the free hernia that comes with some of the big A/AB amps, it's going to be a game changer

Freo-1

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2022, 05:36 pm »
I have had the Underwood HiFi Voyager GaN350 for 3 months.  Mine was modded by Ric Schultz of EVS.  Before that I had (actually still have it in a secondary system) Ric Schultz EVS1200 which was a dual mono IcePower (1200AS1) where Ric actually modded the modules.  Before Class D (I wasn't sold on it when I heard what was out there 6-7 years back), I had Class A/AB amps, including one that still is a current model and lists for $11k (it listed for $9k when I had it).  Before that I had an older version of another brand of A/AB amp, where the version after mine (no longer made) currently lists for about $11k as well.  Class D has come a long way.  From what I understand, there aren't any made (or if there are I'm not aware of them) from discrete input stages.  They all have op amps as the first thing the signal passes through.  I'd expect that when that happens, except for the free hernia that comes with some of the big A/AB amps, it's going to be a game changer

So, how does HiFi voyager compare to your past amps?  There's not a lot of GanFET amp choices right now, but I expect that to change sooner rather than later.  I went with the Gan400 based on the specs,  output power, and feedback from fellow audio geeks I trust. 

Phil A

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2022, 05:46 pm »

So, how does HiFi voyager compare to your past amps?  There's not a lot of GanFET amp choices right now, but I expect that to change sooner rather than later.  I went with the Gan400 based on the specs,  output power, and feedback from fellow audio geeks I trust.

It is much smoother and the tonality is more natural and organic and image better than the others.  My understanding of the differences between the stock LSA, Peachtree and Wyred4Sound are the cases, jacks, switches, internal wiring, etc., and that they all use the same boards (the companies were part of the same group involved in listening to the amp as it was developed).  Mine as the basic mod listed here - http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Voyager_amp_mods.html    I actually bought mine used when it was more or less just broken in.  Ric Shultz offered the basic mods for half price to the first one and the person with the amp decided on other audio priorites (when he indicated on another forum he might sell it when he got the modded unit back I jumped on it as by the time I'd buy the amp new and ship it back and forth to EVS it would have been $1k more).  Ric also modifies the Peachtree (http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Peachtree_GaN_400_mods.html) and I realize that a sizeable percentage won't be interested in mods while the warranty is still in effect.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2022, 06:17 pm »
Freo,

I’m very interested in learning your thoughts on this new amp. Thank you for posting here.  :thumb:

A Taiwanese audiophile buddy of mine bought a GAN amp from LSA about a month ago. He tweaked the daylights out of it, and is now very happy with it. I’ll post all of his tweaks in a couple days when I’m back home.

Michael

Stercom

« Reply #14 on: 21 Jan 2022, 06:39 pm »
I've been running this little GaN amp for a couple of months now. Excellent sonics. Better than a Purifi based Apollon I had before it. It has a few more features than Wally's amp, Peachtree and Orchard since it can be run single-ended with no adapters and the gain is easily changed. I've had zero issues (no popping at turn on, for instance). It sells for $800 but "only" has 200w/ch. haha Worth a try if you're interested in these types of amps.

https://premium-audio.com/mini-gan-5-balanced-2-channel-power-amplifier.html

Phil A

« Reply #15 on: 21 Jan 2022, 06:44 pm »
I've been running this little GaN amp for a couple of months now. Excellent sonics. Better than a Purifi based Apollon I had before it. It has a few more features than Wally's amp, Peachtree and Orchard since it can be run single-ended with no adapters and the gain is easily changed. I've had zero issues (no popping at turn on, for instance). It sells for $800 but "only" has 200w/ch. haha Worth a try if you're interested in these types of amps.

https://premium-audio.com/mini-gan-5-balanced-2-channel-power-amplifier.html

I've already posted a review of that amp.  I got mine when it was $700 (https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=178455.msg1877185#msg1877185).  Definitely a bargain at that price point.  I current have it in a secondary system.

Jon L

« Reply #16 on: 21 Jan 2022, 06:55 pm »

A Taiwanese audiophile buddy of mine bought a GAN amp from LSA about a month ago. He tweaked the daylights out of it, and is now very happy with it. I’ll post all of his tweaks in a couple days when I’m back home.

I admit I have modded myself and/or via modders many components over the years, but to be honest, I wonder how much of the perceived subjective "improvements" will hold up in careful direct A-B comparisons.   :dunno:

I will say that I've been running the unmodded LSA GaN amp on 111 dB sensitive compression driver/horns and don't feel the need to mod anything apart from the usual careful selection of synergistic speaker cables, interconnects, power cords, and footers...

P.S.  The startup popping sound is real and annoying, and LSA is aware of it.  If you are someone who is terribly bothered by that or don't plan on keeping the amp powered on 24/7, I would look at other options.

Stercom

« Reply #17 on: 21 Jan 2022, 06:57 pm »
I've already posted a review of that amp.  I got mine when it was $700 (https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=178455.msg1877185#msg1877185).  Definitely a bargain at that price point.  I current have it in a secondary system.
Yep, your review is one of the reasons I bought it Phil. Lots of value with that little amp.

Freo-1

« Reply #18 on: 21 Jan 2022, 07:01 pm »
Some good feedback here.  Thanks. 

I'm inclined to think there are some deltas between the Peachtree and LSA amps.   The specs are different between the two, so there must be some design/parts difference. 

I tend to be a bit skeptical about after market mods, but I try to keep an open mind.

Phil A

« Reply #19 on: 21 Jan 2022, 07:09 pm »
I don't get popping at all as part of the mod done to mine is to remove the switch so it is on all the time.  The only precaution for me is my (main) system is an ultra PITA to get to the back of it so I power off my 2 Rel subs and make sure the preamp is off if I need to do stuff back there.  In the near future, the main system will come apart (room painting) and be apart for a little bit as the room connects all over and I'll get a new screen I intend to use with an ultra short throw projection.  So with shortages of things there could be delays.  I will do some things to organize things behind there when everything gets put back together.  Ric Schultz noted in the page I linked in a previous post here "Elimination of the junk AC power/fuse/switch module.  This is replaced by a Cryoed and demagetized Furutech AC inlet."  I am enjoying the amp lots  Thiel 3.7s are not the easiest load in the world.  I was shocked how these Class D amps drive them so nicely.